OK, here are your official 2004 Star Wars DVD changes...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
BigMaki
Protoform

OK, here are your official 2004 Star Wars DVD changes...

Post by BigMaki »

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/ ... anges.html

Looks like most are for the better, though Greedo still shoots first. They've made the timing of the shots a lot closer together, but he still shoots first and misses from point-blank range.

They've got a new model for Jabba in ANH, based on the TPM model. Looks much, much better.

We've seen all the other changes already, but it's worth noting that Luke regains his dignity at the end of ESB and falls silently, without the nancy-boy scream this time. And Boba's lines are redubbed, but we knew that one already, too.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

I still can't believe they put Hayden in "ghost form" at the end of 'Jedi'.

grrr...........

:wall:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I heard that the Emperor tells Vader in ESB that Luke is his kid, and Vader asks something like "how can this be?"
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
I heard that the Emperor tells Vader in ESB that Luke is his kid, and Vader asks something like "how can this be?"
Yes. That's changed, too.
Originally posted by Kup1

It's happening. There's nothing you can do about it. Get the f*ck over it.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime

That is just horrible! It ruins the climatic ending! Oh well f*ck all the new kids who are going to see it, right?
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

They phrase it, "the son of Skywalker" or something like that. They never come out and say, your son.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
That is just horrible! It ruins the climatic ending! Oh well f*ck all the new kids who are going to see it, right?
Pretty much.

Basically, it's their own damn fault for not having seen it before.
Originally posted by Bombshell
It's happening. There's nothing you can do about it. Get the f*ck over it.
Okay, I don't want you to think that I'm getting on your case, because it seems like everyone's been doing that lately, but I have to ask.

Are you even capable, at this point, of carrying on a conversation without being a complete and utter ****?
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by BigMaki
They phrase it, "the son of Skywalker" or something like that. They never come out and say, your son.

FYI, this is the exchange:

Palpatine: "We have a new enemy. The young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. And I have no doubt that this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."

Vader: "How is that possible?"

Palpatine: "Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true."

And then it continues on as normal. It's pretty easy to explain how this new dialogue can be made to work.
Originally posted by fort_max
Are you even capable, at this point, of carrying on a conversation without being a complete and utter ****?

Yes. I can. Unfortunately, there are several topics in which I cannot. And this is one of those.

I mean, if you spent the better part of three months trying to explain to both common people and obsessed Star Wars nuts how this change actually makes any sense despite their inability to understand, you'd go nuts too.

I got an idea. Why don't you try doing what I've done, and then see how you feel when someone pulls a "OMG HAYDEEN IS NAWT ANAKIN!!!11!!1".

Sheesh. :rolleyes:
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yes. I can. Unfortunately, there are several topics in which I cannot. And this is one of those.
If you can't behave, then hit the back button.
I got an idea. Why don't you try doing what I've done, and then see how you feel when someone pulls a "OMG HAYDEEN IS NAWT ANAKIN!!!11!!1".

Except nobody said anything like that here and there still isn't any good rationalization for it. Unless Lucas is going to put in Ewan McGregor's Kenobi as well if he's going to decide now that the jedi spirits appear much younger than they were when they died.

This thread warrants being open for discussion of the changes, and anymore flames from anyone will be deleted from the thread.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

The more changes Lucas makes to his films, the more I wonder if copies of the original pre-"tweeked" versions of the first 3 films might be worth a few bucks.
Like most suckers, I bought the original trilogy every time it was updated- the first releases, the THX update, and then the Tweeked Versions. Sometimes I wonder if Lucas really cared for his fans, he might issue rebates for the people who made his paycheck everytime he chose to "revise" his product.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

If he actually gave a half a sh*t about film as an artform in general, he'd make the originals available on a matter of principle. What it all boils down to is one of two scenarios:

1 - He's in it to continue milking as much as he can.
2 - He's insane and thinks he's a film diety. Film history's not going to be kind to the man after he passes, especially with what he's done to his trademark franchise. Heard he's trying to write the entire script for Indy 4 too...
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Except nobody said anything like that here

grrr...........

:wall:

and there still isn't any good rationalization for it.

Said by George Lucas on the ROTJ DVD Commentary
As we get to the end of the movie, as [Anakin] joins the Force, he is able to retain his original identity. It's because of Obi-Wan and Yoda who learned how to do to join the Force at will and retain your identity. It was his identity as he was when he died as Anakin Skywalker.

And it will all be explained in ROTS. And if you can't believe that, you don't deserve to call yourself a Star Wars fan. Period.

As an aside, I wonder how many of you would still be complaining about this change if you watched Revenge Of The Sith before Return Of The Jedi...
This thread warrants being open for discussion of the changes, and anymore flames from anyone will be deleted from the thread.

You won't get any flames from me as long as you don't give me any reason to give any out. But trust me, folks. I've been discussing these changes for longer than you have, and can guarantee that my opinion on the changes will be different than yours.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Kup1's comments hardly approach your wild exaggeration.
And it will all be explained in ROTS. And if you can't believe that, you don't deserve to call yourself a Star Wars fan. Period.
The explanation given still makes no sense and I don't know that I want to be called a Star Wars fan if it means taking everything Jabba the Lucas' word as the Gospel. The explanation has nothing to do with the hokey reasons he gives and everything to do with him pimping the current trilogy.
As an aside, I wonder how many of you would still be complaining about this change if you watched Revenge Of The Sith before Return Of The Jedi...
Hmm, guess if he had made the movies in chronological order, then people wouldn't have those issues.
I've been discussing these changes for longer than you have, and can guarantee that my opinion on the changes will be different than yours.

It's obviously different, but nothing in the world will make it the "right" opinion bucko.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Maybe, and I have heard the 'reason' behind the change, but I still don't like it. It just looks too out of place.

And I have been a Star Wars fan since I say the movie back in 77. :D

We just all have our different takes on the changes, that's all.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Kup1's comments hardly approach your wild exaggeration.

Maybe, but you can't deny it has the same intention.
The explanation given still makes no sense

Because May 2005 isn't here yet or because you don't want to make any real attempt to try?
I don't know that I want to be called a Star Wars fan if it means taking everything Jabba the Lucas' word as the Gospel.

You don't have to accept his word as Gospel. You just have to accept the fact that they're his movies and he has the right to do whatever the f*ck he wants to them. He's always said that he couldn't make the movie he wanted back in 1977. Despite that, it was a hit. Now in 2004, he's made the movies the way he always wanted to make them, and people complain? :confused:

Whassup wit dat?
The explanation has nothing to do with the hokey reasons he gives and everything to do with him pimping the current trilogy.
Actually, it's OUR fault we're getting the movies on DVD now. He's ALWAYS said that he didn't want to do the OT on DVD until ROTS was out, but because Joe Fan pestered and bugged him one time too many, he finally caved.
Hmm, guess if he had made the movies in chronological order, then people wouldn't have those issues.
He DID make the movies in chronological order. He just filmed 4, 5 and 6 first.
It's obviously different, but nothing in the world will make it the "right" opinion bucko.
What? So things like common sense and easily understandable explanations can't convince you?

I shouldn't be surprised. I already gave you the popular opinion regarding the ROTJ Anakin change, and we all saw how quickly that got tossed out the window... :rolleyes:
It just looks too out of place.
It looks out of place because you're thinking about it in real world terms. You'd believe it a whole lot more if you could shove real life to the side for two hours or so.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

It looks out of place because you're thinking about it in real world terms. You'd believe it a whole lot more if you could shove real life to the side for two hours or so.

*chuckles*

Like I said, I know the reason that GL did this, and I kind of understand it, but..........

Ah, nevermind. :p

He DID make the movies in chronological order. He just filmed 4, 5 and 6 first.

Actually, no. He didn't even start writing TFM until the latter part of 94, and didn't even put pen to paper on AOTC until TFM was already in the theaters.

But, I guess we just have to agree to disagree on our opinions on this. :p

"May the Force be with you."

;)

edit, I do spend a lot of time on the SW site, and I do inderstand how dealing with hordes of fanboys get on your nerves, believe me. I've dealt with my share of trolls.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Actually, no. He didn't even start writing TFM until the latter part of 94, and didn't even put pen to paper on AOTC until TFM was already in the theaters.

Actually, he planned the WHOLE THING back when he wrote the original story treatment back in '74 or '76 or whenever the hell it was.
But, I guess we just have to agree to disagree on our opinions on this. :p

Hey, I'm quite willing to agree with your opinion, as long as you're winning to agree to mine.
I do spend a lot of time on the SW site, and I do inderstand how dealing with hordes of fanboys get on your nerves, believe me. I've dealt with my share of trolls.

Yeah, but you've never been to TheForce.net, whever every third post over @ the Classic Trilogy board is a bitch complaint about the changes. THAT'S what I get cheesed about...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Alex, you're a piece of work and I think everyone reading will know why I'm giving up on this with you. I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong. Go ahead and claim your positions and Lucas are infallible. The arguing against you will probably just die in this thread the same way it died in Snake's thread about Lucas being a big fat hypocrite. -> :wall:

Although I'm also pretty pissed off at my ISP since I get disconnected every 30 seconds or so and have to wait another minute before I reconnect...

Finally though, he did not make the movies in chronological order since Episode 4 came out in 77 while Episode 1 came out in 99...we're in AD now, not BC, so years aren't going backwards.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Alex, I thought you hated Lucas...
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
Alex, I thought you hated Lucas...

He's doing that to prove people wrong. He's peeved with everyone now ... EVERYONE. He needs a timeout ... into the corner of the damned I say.