Has the Classics Line Hit a Dead-End?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Apriorion
Protoform

Has the Classics Line Hit a Dead-End?

Post by Apriorion »

Given the appearance of repaints, the emergence of the live-action action line, and the general lack of new test-shots, has the classics line run out of steam? Seems a major shame, given all the potential. I really would have liked an Ironhide from this line, since I hated the original toy but loved the character (and I can't afford an ebayed Botcon exclusive Towline version). But they really could have done much more with this concept--a real Ultra Magnus would have been nice, a new Shockwave, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
|-((P->Q)->P)->P
|-(P->Q)v(Q->P)
|-(P<->Q)<->((PvQ)&~(P&Q))
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

The Classics line has always been intended to be a "filler" line between the end of Cybertron and the launch of the movie toyline.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
lars573
Protoform

Post by lars573 »

Sadly. I wouldn't have minded only 3 waves. If they'd been consistant. You know 2 voyagers, 4 deluxes, and 3 mini-con teams per wave.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hasn't run out of steam or anything -- as Nevermore says, it was a time-limited set of releases...

Wouldn't be surprised to see the official fan club capitalise on the moulds and be using them to gouge people for the remaining seekers in a year or two.
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

I was really hoping for a Classic Wheeljack to come out...oh well I'll have to one day find an old G1. HAd a go with the Alternator one, but just didn't like the way it transformed. Robot and Car looked great, but I don't want to spend 20 mins trying to do it!!
If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Energon Downshift may be worth a look - http://www.tfu.info/2004/Autobot/Downsh ... nshift.htm
Civ

Post by Civ »

I could be mistaken but wasn't it announced that Botcon would have five repaints (and maybe remolds) of the Classics there?
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

Ah the Classics Line, ever since I saw test photos of the line last year I had been looking forward to it. I can't help but feel a little disappointed at the lines longevity, but there is something contained and controlled about the whole thing. Despite some of the repaints of other moulds and what not (especially the Legends), I've never been a huge collector of the Armada, Energon or Cybertron or even RiD lines. Of those lines, all I have is an RiD Optimus, Armada Unicron, Cybertron Optimus, Cybertron Metroplex and Cybertron Primus, so it's nice to collect toys that are homages of characters and their colour schemes for me because I've never been interested in them before.
The thing that is frustrating with the Classics Line is that here in New Zealand, the shops seem to be aware of the lines purpose, so they haven't had in store a Grimlock, or a Ramjet, or a Cliffjumper, which is amazingly frustrating as everything else, Jetfire, Optimus Prime, Megatron, the Optimus Versus Megatron pack, the anniversary prime, Mirage, Bumblebee, Rodimus, Astrotrain, Starscream, all the legends and mini-bot sets, the whole lot is here. Which of course means going on ebay to buy them.
I would have loved to see the Classics line have a little more characters, (perhaps at little more Decepticons if nothing else!) but it is ultimately unsupported by a television series. I'm glad, though, that another of my favourite Transformers lines ever, the 6" Titaniums, seems to have a lot of life left in it. G1 Styled Ultra Magnus here I come!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I've all but stopped buying new figures and I'm still mourning the Alternators line. The Classics stuff was ok and I do have the whole line so far, but how many versions of Prime, Grimlock, Starscream, and Hot Rod do we really need?
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

but how many versions of Prime, Grimlock, Starscream, and Hot Rod do we really need?

As many as Hasbro thinks people will be foolish enough to buy?
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
lars573
Protoform

Post by lars573 »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
I've all but stopped buying new figures and I'm still mourning the Alternators line. The Classics stuff was ok and I do have the whole line so far, but how many versions of Prime, Grimlock, Starscream, and Hot Rod do we really need?

That's why I cherry pick. The only Alterantors I'm ever going to get are about 6-8 Autobot cars. Hound, Prowl, Jazz, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, and Wheeljack, maybe Bluestreak.
Apriorion
Protoform

Post by Apriorion »

Originally posted by Nevermore
The Classics line has always been intended to be a "filler" line between the end of Cybertron and the launch of the movie toyline.

Thanks for the information.
|-((P->Q)->P)->P
|-(P->Q)v(Q->P)
|-(P<->Q)<->((PvQ)&~(P&Q))
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The Classics stuff was ok and I do have the whole line so far, but how many versions of Prime, Grimlock, Starscream, and Hot Rod do we really need?
That's really what's so unfortunate about the line being so short, IMO. Guys like Prime, Megs, Screamer and other big names make up almost the entire line. We get new versions of Op and the rest at least once a year, and every second or third one is usually pretty good. And, sure, their Classics versions are awesome, but they didn't pique my interest nearly as much as, say, Astrotrain or Ramjet did. Getting a new version of second- or third-tier character is something special. Getting a new Optimus...m'eh.

In a longer line, we might have seen new versions of guys like Springer, Cyclonus, the Insecticons...characters who haven't seen a stream of homage releases in recent years. A bit of a pity, really.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Springer had that crappy Energon figure.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I dunno about crappy. If you ditch the undercarriage, both modes are fairly decent. Not really worth the price of the size category it was in, but really, none of the stuff that's larger than deluxe has really been worth what's been charged for it from Energon/Cybertron (well, both versions of the Scorponok mold have been worth it, but not much else in either line). They really need to bring back the mega ($15) class, and bump the $30 class down to $25, or something.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Yeah, $20 is a steep step up from ten, especially since most of the figures are only about 1.5 times the size of a deluxe, and not really worth double the price.
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Springer had that crappy Energon figure.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a pic of this Springer?
If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Energon Downshift may be worth a look - http://www.tfu.info/2004/Autobot/Downsh ... nshift.htm

Not in the least because his Japanese name IS Wheeljack. And if you're willing to push it, Towline will make a nice stand-in for Ratchet.
Petatron 2006
Protoform

Post by Petatron 2006 »

Originally posted by Target
Can someone point me in the right direction for a pic of this Springer?

http://www.cobraislandtoys.com/tf/2004/bulkhead.html

he's called Bulkhead in the energon series but his Japanese Superlink name was Sprung which was the name of the G1 character in japan.
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Thanks for the link!! HE comes in 2 parts then? or is that what all Energon TF's do?