Don Murphy's movie competition?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Don Murphy's movie competition?

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/s ... eadid=3979

Six fans are given the opportunity to submit one hour (maximum) film reels of what they think is "essential" of Transformers.

Hmm...
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

ITEM- A Proposal to the Friends of Transformers! Okay, now this is certainly unique in the annals of fandom. I want to have access to a ONE hour reel (maximum). The purpose of the reel is to use a reference for what the fans like best about the property. It’s not that we all don’t know TF- I thought it would be great to actually have a physical reference reel that Bay, the actors, the producers, Spielberg- everybody could play it as a sort of ‘make sure we include as much of this as possible” thing. The winner will get something cool. I promise, once I figure out what it is. Here are the rules for this unofficial competition- 1) Whatever I say goes 2) you have to have access not only to your own cartoon dvds but also a way of editing them together 3) less is more 4) the first FIVE people to email me at Mrdonmurphy @ hotmail.com will be allowed to participate and given an address to send them to- the sooner I get them the better. After that, if none are chosen the winner, I’ll open it up to five more. Once more- a dvd/reel that is less than an hour that summarizes everything about the Transformers that the fans love. I don’t think any producer has ever opened this up like this before- let’s see what happens.
Looks like he's asking mostly for "best of the Cartoon Transformers", which I guess is bad news to people who prefer the comic continuity, unless the filmmakers add scans of the comic or something to their reel.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

I seriously hope that if they do take what is shown in any reels into consideration that it isn't just salivating fan boys who enter it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Unfortunately Dark Awakening and Fight or Flee only run to 44 minutes...
Civ

Post by Civ »

More Than Meets the Eye is also pretty good. Five Faces of Darkness is pretty good despite the excess amount of Wheelie and Blurr. The Secret of Omega Supreme I find amusing. The Core wasn't too bad since Devastator was actually useful for once. Megatron's Master Plan was alright till the end and Heavy Metal War was decent.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

As long as they Include the most important characters to the transformers universe and a few characters that every one liked such as Wheeljack, Ironhide, Thundercracker, Shockwave, and definitately Hound and Cliffjumper, I will be pleased. Also Meister can take the back seat if it is between him and Wheeljack.
Grimlock2983
Protoform

Post by Grimlock2983 »

Why not just mail in "Code of Hero"? Make me a two hour movie like that and I will be extremely happy.
Blaster: "Grimlock, look over there!"

Grimlock: "You think Grimlock stupid, fall for trick."

Blaster: "Well, yes and no. Yes, I think you're stupid. But no, it's not a trick."

*Decepticons attack while Blaster and Grimlock battle for leadersihp of the Autobots, Issue #41*
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Walky applied for it, and got the response that he was too late.

You see, THIS is the thing I really dislike about Don. It's "the first X people who..." who will be heard, get their questions answered, etc.
If you just miss such a thread by a few minutes, you get the shaft.

Don's "fan catering" is not about "quality", it's about getting some quick ****.

If he cared about quality, he'd ask people like Ben Yee or Zobovor, who are respected all across the fandom, if nothing else, for their vast knowledge and expertise. But since they're not posting on HIS board, he cares zilch for them.
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Walky applied for it, and got the response that he was too late.

You see, THIS is the thing I really dislike about Don. It's "the first X people who..." who will be heard, get their questions answered, etc.
If you just miss such a thread by a few minutes, you get the shaft.

Don's "fan catering" is not about "quality", it's about getting some quick ****.

If he cared about quality, he'd ask people like Ben Yee or Zobovor, who are respected all across the fandom, if nothing else, for their vast knowledge and expertise. But since they're not posting on HIS board, he cares zilch for them.
I understand you concerns about Don's catering for the fandom in this respect. I'm the first one to say Don can be a bit rash sometimes.

However, I honestly don't expect him to actively seek out the fandom's 'best' and/or most knowledgable and 'respected'.
Also because he has never heard of them before, since he doesn't have a complete grasp of the online transfandom.
As do I.
(And I consider myself an above average TF fan.)
I can't blame him for that.

That said it's still too bad Walky didn't reply soon enough.
If I were him though, I'd still make the reel and send it to Don accompanied by a polite mail, and post it on Donmurphy's board whatever the outcome!;)

If the resident boardies like it, at least Don will notice.
Ah...forget it!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

You don't have to be an expert about the Transformers franchise to have a good idea for a film, and I don't see why he'd feel the need to contact certain 'experts' over some other folks who might well have equally good ideas.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sizzle rather than steak, in marketing-speak.
Originally posted by Sixswitch
You don't have to be an expert about the Transformers franchise to have a good idea for a film,
The stated point of exercise is to "use a reference for what the fans like best about the property"... so yes, I think it'd help if those involved knew a range of material. And knew a range of fans, for that matter.

Willis would be a good candidate, IMO. Someone likely to get input, articulate well, not concentrate too much on personal preference, and generally be professional.

Actually, there are lots of good candidates—starting with people bouncing up and down going "pick me! pick me!" is a poor way to manage kids, let alone get useful input from adults.
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

Ah, but this is an excellent tactic. Gather a reel on what causes fanboys to wet their pants and then take great pains to not use that material. This tractic would improve the final movie tremendously.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by T.V.
However, I honestly don't expect him to actively seek out the fandom's 'best' and/or most knowledgable and 'respected'.
Also because he has never heard of them before, since he doesn't have a complete grasp of the online transfandom.
As do I.
(And I consider myself an above average TF fan.)
I can't blame him for that.

Well, he might have asked Hasbro for starters... They know at least Ben by name, and probably a few others too. He could have asked "do you know some fans who are experienced advisors to official projects?"
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Roadstripe
Ah, but this is an excellent tactic. Gather a reel on what causes fanboys to wet their pants and then take great pains to not use that material. This tractic would improve the final movie tremendously.

Yes, but Don hasn't exactly expressed any desire to avoid a fanboy jerkfest.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I prefer the term "wankfest" - okay, the direct meaning is much the same, but the word "wank" also means "load of rubbish", giving it that double whammy effect...
Originally posted by Civ
More Than Meets the Eye is also pretty good.

Subjective opinion. It's all subjective opinion.

For all we know the winner is going to be somebody who just throws in Call of the Primitives because it looks pretty.

For the record, a few months back I made the decision to sit down and watch the entire cartoon run. I lasted seven and a half minutes. That's how bad MTMTE is in my view.
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
You don't have to be an expert about the Transformers franchise to have a good idea for a film, and I don't see why he'd feel the need to contact certain 'experts' over some other folks who might well have equally good ideas.

Really you don't need help? Primus is among us?

This is a film about TRANSFORMER, not about some robot able to transform into vehicle, so you need to have a basic knowledge about the Cartoon from G1 to GF, the Marvel comics, the DreamWave comics ... some material is wonderful, some material is crap, or s**t, but this is TF - you can dislike DW, but the modern TF comics had been made by DW, and Filmmakers must use the good part of it (some artwork), and pay attention to the negative comment (about the stories).

You must contact some experts because they can supply you some opinion about who is essential to the TF, and what you can change - for example, some comedical aspect are essential to a Spiderman film IMO, so a dark atmosphere (a la Batman) doesn't work in a Spiderman movie, and you will obtain a film about a guy with Spider power, not a Spiderman movie
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Read my post more carefully.

Denyer, you made a good point that I hadn't considered (the one about these guys knowing a lot of fans). Point taken.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Denyer
Sizzle rather than steak, in marketing-speak.

The stated point of exercise is to "use a reference for what the fans like best about the property"... so yes, I think it'd help if those involved knew a range of material. And knew a range of fans, for that matter.

Willis would be a good candidate, IMO. Someone likely to get input, articulate well, not concentrate too much on personal preference, and generally be professional.

Actually, there are lots of good candidates—starting with people bouncing up and down going "pick me! pick me!" is a poor way to manage kids, let alone get useful input from adults.

I just sent Don a polite mail elaborating these points.

And got a quick, rude response.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I just sent Don a polite mail elaborating these points.

And got a quick, rude response.

You couldn't post what he said, could you?

And I wouldn't take it personally. He seems to have an attitude problem towards everyone.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Accusing you of being jealous or something like that?

-Ss