Heads Up to XBox Live Gold Members

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Heads Up to XBox Live Gold Members

Post by ganon578 »

Not sure if this is region specific or not, but anyone with Xbox Live Gold Memberships is getting free games for the rest of the year - two per month:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/56844/when-to-expe ... old-games/

Fable 3 is up right now for free download, and it looks like AC2 and Halo 3 are coming next month, to be released on the 1st and 16th of each month. Free downloads while they are available, and it looks like you get to keep them for basically forever. I already downloaded me some Fable 3!

Just thought I'd spread the word on free games!
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. If you can if at all possible play it in co-op, you'll enjoy it far better with a friend. Also each of the free games will be greatest hits, meaning over 1 million sold and if you were to buy them they would be in the silver cases for 19.99 usd. But that's 13 games in all which means it would cost you around 240-260 usd, not a bad thing at all I say! :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I think I'm stuck with playing solo based on the time of day I actually make it onto my machine coupled with the short playing time I have. It's free anyways, so it'll be enjoyable regardless!

It's truly a good deal unless people have already purchased the games, but still, they're free. Trade in your hard copy and DL it! I think Fable 3 is available until the 30th, so each game must be available for 2 weeks once they're up - the one released on the 1st must be available until the 15th, etc.

Do you know if this is like PS+ where the game is available for use as long as you're a Gold member? Or is it a straight up download that allows you to play regardless of your membership if your Gold expires?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:Do you know if this is like PS+ where the game is available for use as long as you're a Gold member? Or is it a straight up download that allows you to play regardless of your membership if your Gold expires?
I was wondering this as well. I've got several "X free days of Gold" cards sitting around that I've never used because I hate playing online multiplayer against annoying twelve year olds, but if I could turn them into free games that I could keep after the subscriptions expire I'd be all over it and would actually finally redeem them.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

None of the articles I have seen really describe how it truly works. I know the PS+ games are inactive once you're not a PS+ member anymore, but the way some of the articles read, you basically just have the games forever. That would be pretty great since there's only a few years of life left on the 360, so Gold coverage would eventually die too. Having those games to play offline would be fantastic. And let me know if you need other codes for free Gold days if good games come out. I think I have one or two that I won't be using.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Actually if you read the last line of the quote at the end of the page, it says:

"As our way of saying thanks, we're giving all active Gold members two bonus Xbox 360 games each month for the rest of the year," reads a blurb. "Each specially selected, fan-favourite game will be available to download only for a limited time, so grab them before they're gone and keep them no matter what."

'Keep them no matter what' seems to read that you can download them and have them forever regardless of your membership over time. Sounds like a sweet deal!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Well, damn.

Hmm.

I wonder if it would be worth getting the Xbox fixed/getting a Gold subscription just to DL free games.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:And let me know if you need other codes for free Gold days if good games come out. I think I have one or two that I won't be using.
Thanks, but it looks like I have six months worth of subscriptions sitting around. If the free games promo is ending at the end of the year, I'm good. :)
ganon578 wrote:'Keep them no matter what' seems to read that you can download them and have them forever regardless of your membership over time. Sounds like a sweet deal!
Sounds good to me! Consider my cards cashed in.

Of course, as soon as I upgraded to Gold I saw that they were offering Perfect Dark to Gold members for 50% off, and I sunk so many hours into that game in high school (my multiplayer avatar had >8 days of play time logged) that I couldn't say no to trying it in HD, so my account is now 400 MS points lighter.

That was their plan all along, wasn't it? Bastards!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Sades wrote:Well, damn.

Hmm.

I wonder if it would be worth getting the Xbox fixed/getting a Gold subscription just to DL free games.
Depends on the gamer, genre of games that s/he likes, the games, and if a person already has them.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:Depends on the gamer, genre of games that s/he likes, the games, and if a person already has them.
The first thing I thought was- "Well, no shit".
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote:"Well, no shit".
That made me chuckle.

Personally I think the whole deal is worth it, unless you already own the titles. But in that case you can just trade in the hard copy to Gamestop or whathaveyou, and get something else. Either way, we're talking ~$20 games for free, and probably around 12-13 titles from now until the end of the year, if you count 2/mo. until December. The titles may be old, but they're still free!

Not that you all aren't relatively well informed, but since I started this thread, I will try to update which games are coming out each month. Fable 3 is only available until the 30th of June. I don't know which one will be coming on the 1st of July, but it will be AC2 or Halo 3. Then the other will be out on the 16th.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Apparently the next free game as of today is Defense Grid: The Awakening.

Not terrible excited about this one, but hey, it's still free.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Defense grid is a pretty big step down from Assassins creed 2 but hey at least Microsoft is still giving us free stuff! Can't really complain about anything free. :lol:

Cut to someone doing exactly that in 3...2...1...
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The free game for the next two weeks is Assassin's Creed II, get it from now until the end of July!

It's old, but good quality, and for someone like me who has never played it, free is the best price you can get (unless you count the annual Gold cost).
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Note to self: download as soon as I get home.

My father-in-law is obsessed with the Assassin's Creed games and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread, so I've heard a lot of good things about the series. I've never played any but always meant to give it a try.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Any idea on what August's first game is? Is it still gonna be halo 3? Cause honestly it wouldn't bother me one bit if it was something else entirely as I already own all the halos. Sorry selfish I know! :P
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Warcry wrote:Note to self: download as soon as I get home.

My father-in-law is obsessed with the Assassin's Creed games and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread, so I've heard a lot of good things about the series. I've never played any but always meant to give it a try.
The first one was OK game and had a very cool concept of DNA memory as kind of time travel. From I read of them the backstory/history gets kind of annoyingly confusing.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:Any idea on what August's first game is? Is it still gonna be halo 3? Cause honestly it wouldn't bother me one bit if it was something else entirely as I already own all the halos. Sorry selfish I know! :P
Don't have a clue. Too bad there isn't a list of what & when everything will get released. Not that it matters since they are all free, but if I own something on disc that will come out, I can trade it in and download the digital version. When Halo 3 hits, that will be fine with me; I already played through it, but sold back my disc copy a while ago. A free download will be a welcome trip down memory lane.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I've got the legendary edition so I'm never getting rid of it. That's my golden rule never trade in collector's editions, and I don't get rid of exclusives so by default Halo3 ain't leaving my collection anytime soon.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Looks like tomorrow's game will be Crackdown until the 16th, when it switches to Dead Rising 2 & Case Zero. Not too shabby at all, never played either and free is the best price.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/59461/augusts-free ... case-zero/