SHOULD Sam and Simmons be in TF4

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Dinobot#1

SHOULD Sam and Simmons be in TF4

Post by Dinobot#1 »

Well just post your openon
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Not at all. Simmons has his moments but I can only see his character getting more wacky and zany in another movie.

As for Sam, what more can you do with him? Leave him be. If I was going to take any character from the first trilogy it would be either Lennox or Epps. Both characters are likeable and the film could start with them returning to civi life. Neither character has been over-used and both actors are charismatic enough as leads without over-shadowing the real reason people see these films - the transformers.

My preference would be to re-boot from the trilogy - give it a different style, different characters, different look. The first live film will be five years old soon which means you have an army of 7-10 year olds who saw it then turning 12-15 and ready for a more edgy take on the cybertronians. I'd hope that if the kept the big action scenes to a minimum they could afford to give both autobots and decepticons more actual character so in the next one when megatron tears Jazz apart I might actual feel a little remorse.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Nope, nope, and nope. Simmons was almost unnecessary in DOTM and even Sam's role was forced to be there fighting with Autobots (even my wife noticed that). Maybe just me but I also feel Shia wasn't playing that well in DOTM than his previous two. And I really hate his "the man's an extortionist" characteristic.

Even Spider Man can do the reboot that quick, why not TF.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Red Dave Prime wrote:As for Sam, what more can you do with him? Leave him be.
A more salient factor is Shia was only contracted for three films and is unlikely to re-sign
the real reason people see these films - the transformers.
Bollocks; that's a classic case of fandumb. They're the real reason fans go to see them; what fans want to see often has very little in common with what moviegoers want to see. Normal people are just as likely to go on about the human characters. This is why DotM takes over a billion dollars.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Even Spider Man can do the reboot that quick, why not TF
I imagine it would be even easier for the transformers to be rebooted as it doesnt center on a single character - sure, primes a main guy but in the reboot he could be just the background leader while, say, a rodimus could be the main robot from the human perspective.
Bollocks; that's a classic case of fandumb. They're the real reason fans go to see them; what fans want to see often has very little in common with what moviegoers want to see. Normal people are just as likely to go on about the human characters. This is why DotM takes over a billion dollars.
I think you may have mis-understood me a little. I'm not saying we should have a film which is just transformers based, but the point I was making is that the transformers movie franchise doesnt need a big name actor to sell it to the public. The transformers are the franchise. The human characters on the other hand are needed to make the story work.

For example in the first movie Shia is a relative small name. In the case of the guys playing Epps and lennox they arent big name box office stars but they are well known enough and charismatic enough to get audiences involved. I dont think the next movie would do much, if any, better if it had a Big Mega Star name attached but it would certainly cost the studio a lot more money - money that could be spent on the effects for example.

Its worth bearing in mind that the loss of Meg Fox, the second major human character next to Sam (arguably Simmons is level with her) was replaced with a complete unknown and it caused no damage to DOTM takings, as you pointed out.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Its worth bearing in mind that the loss of Meg Fox, the second major human character next to Sam (arguably Simmons is level with her) was replaced with a complete unknown and it caused no damage to DOTM takings, as you pointed out.
Because her role is so hollow and so not important. It's so easily scratched out and replaced with another and the end result is the same. You see they didn't even bother keep the name (Mikaela) but just change the actor (like Iron Man 2 and Dark Knight). They completely change to another character.

On a side note to kind of support both Cliffy and Red Dave. I have a friend who knows nothing about TFs.

He said: Did you go watch TF3? Did you see the woman? Man! She is hot.
I said: I see that movie not for the girls.
He said: Oh yea! Right. I know you are robot nuts but I'm not. Man! She is hot. Better than the previous one.
Dinobot#1

Post by Dinobot#1 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Bollocks; that's a classic case of fandumb. They're the real reason fans go to see them; what fans want to see often has very little in common with what moviegoers want to see. Normal people are just as likely to go on about the human characters. This is why DotM takes over a billion dollars.
I agree and do not. I have a friend who nose nothing about transformers and hates human charters (not because of the actors/actresses).
horizon
Protoform

Post by horizon »

The problem was not the human characters. It was a problem of the human army that got at times more fight moments vs the Decepticons then the Autobots. This is really a problem in ROtF.

Sam back in a fourth? Sure.

Simmons? A 10second cameo.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I think a brief hiatus followed by a reboot with a new human cast, and possibly a different "friend" robot to replace Bumblebee.
That said, a brief cameo would help tie it into the same universe for the general moviegoing public.
I like bears.
Securis

Post by Securis »

It's actually more of a stretch in logic to include him in further sequels than it is not to.