Takara to reissue Star Convoy

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Takara to reissue Star Convoy?

Post by Denyer »

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=4684&mode=flat

Seems legit.

Considering how hard to find it is, though, it doesn't look great. I'd be more interested in the Hot Rodimus micromaster, personally...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Interesting. Releasing one of the rarest Convoys, that takes guts. Any word on his two base buddies that he can combine with?

I thought that the next re-issue would be Galvatron, though.
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Great, another reissue that half us won't be able to afford when BBTS puts it up for three bucks less than an original would cost you...
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Knightdramon
Releasing one of the rarest Convoys, that takes guts.
Does it? Takara don't see any profit from second-hand market sales.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Wildfire Herald
Great, another reissue that half us won't be able to afford when BBTS puts it up for three bucks less than an original would cost you...

You want to run that one by me again?

Star Convoy is about $250 - $350USD depeding on condition, MISB and how many are availible at any given time. Considering his size. He'll probably go for..... $75USD, I think I can aford that.

You know, the same way the Predaking gift set went for half or less what a complete Predaking went for on the aftermarket.

Why do a re-release of Starconvoy though? I'd have thought make him a Robot Master...... Takara didn't do so well with God Ginrai.... Ah well, time will tell
Civ

Post by Civ »

I have to agree that the price is more than just right. I was checking out Star Convoy auctions while chatting with Brave Max the other night and those things are quite expensive indeed. The one I saw was $250 (I can't remember if it was MIB or not) on a Buy It Now. I know of one auction going on currently where just overnight, 15 more bidders were trying to nail the winning bid for Star Convoy and the price was $100 then. I just checked it out now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

And it's almost $120 when I saw it. Given that there's plenty of time left and I'm sure there are the fair number of snipers, I can see this guy easily go for $200 or more.

I also remember telling Brave Max that if they ever made a reissue of this guy, I would get him to add to my Convoy/Optimus Prime/Primal collection. Looks like this guy will definitely be in my collection in the figure...err...the reissue will be that is.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Nice. I was just telling my friend the other day that if I were to find a Star Convoy and Overlord for a good price, I would pick them up . . .
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Anyone remember this? :)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Anyone remember this? :)

No. Can't say I've ever seen that before. What are you implying? :confused:
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Takara put that poster up at a few conventions and shows... what, almost a year ago. The fans were supposed to vote and depending on the reaction, depends on what happens.

Out of the list, only 2 have yet to se reissue in one form or another:

1 - Star Saber was redone as a robot master
2 - Same for Victory Leo
3 - Big Convoy was one of the ones yet to appear, though I'm willing to bet he'll get the RM touch very soon
4 - Road Rocket is now also in RM
5 - God Ginrai was reissued a while ago, but also got that after market super parts pack. Again, we might see a RM version
6 - Star Convoy - up in question
7 - We just saw the Predaking reissue. I would love to see them release 5 RM moulds with more articulation and what not
8 - Lio Convoy is also an RM
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Denyer, I think that's why they re-issued Skids so early in the line-the original, because of limited availability, went for insane amounts of money on ebay.

Wildfire Herlald, I must say that I partly agree with your statement. Yes, bigbadtoystore will probably have an inflated price tag for him. 8000 yen is 75 USD. He'll be cheaper than mp magnus, although...

I can understand all the rave for such a rare figure, but...he is the definition of a brick! As far as I can tell, he can only move his hands up and down. Grandus [one of his combining buddies] transforms by simply lifting the figure at a 90 degree angle.

Don't forget that Predaking cost 15000 yen [the recent re-issue] which is 134 dollars. Most of the buyers from bbts paid 30 bucks more. Don't be fooled if Star Convoy costs a bit less than it, because it's almost half the price ;)
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
You want to run that one by me again?

Star Convoy is about $250 - $350USD depeding on condition, MISB and how many are availible at any given time. Considering his size. He'll probably go for..... $75USD, I think I can aford that.

You know, the same way the Predaking gift set went for half or less what a complete Predaking went for on the aftermarket.

Why do a re-release of Starconvoy though? I'd have thought make him a Robot Master...... Takara didn't do so well with God Ginrai.... Ah well, time will tell

Ok, so I exagerated, but still, I know everyone really wanted Predaking and yes, the reissue isn't so bad pricewise, but I do have to suspect that things will be a little different with a mold that was not released both here and in Japan and the fact that Star Convoy was probably made in a whole lot smaller numbers even in Japanese markets when he was first released. All I'm saying is that there will probably be quite a few more people trying to snap up Star Convoy reissues than there were for Predaking. Though, since only dedicated American collectors will know who he is/ want to buy him, there might be less demand there, on the other hand, some greedy folks might expect him to be a big item and snap up as many as they can...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer, I think that's why they re-issued Skids so early in the line-the original, because of limited availability, went for insane amounts of money on ebay.
Exactly—why does it take guts to release something there's a clear market for?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Don't forget that Predaking cost 15000 yen [the recent re-issue] which is 134 dollars. Most of the buyers from bbts paid 30 bucks more.

BBTS has flat rate shipping for $7 (it was $5 when Predaking came out).

HLJ most certainly does not. Their stuff actually ends up costing more because of that.

Also, am I the only one more interested by the little Hot Rod micromaster than the Star Convoy? It (Star Convoy) is downright ugly.
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Actually, HLJ is cheaper even with the shipped. I paid 30 bucks less for the Megs reissue, 100 less for Brave max and 50 less for Predaking.
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Just got the Email from Big Bad Toy Store:
TAKARA RE-ISSUE STAR CONVOY: Takara announced just hours ago that the
next re-issue will be Star Convoy with mini Hot Rod. The Japanese vintage version of this item is very hard to find, the vintage department only came across a few last year and they sold for around $400.
This new item will be arriving in September and we have it priced very competitively at $92.99. (The Japanese retail price is 8000 yen - about $75 to $80 before expensive shipping fees for this bulky item)
This figure will not be part of the 'TF Collection' series with Dreamwave art box, but will instead be a standalone re-issue similar to how Predaking was released. Pre-Orders are now available here for $92.99:
Seems to pretty much confirms this rumor I would think. I was dead on the $75 price mark too ;)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Denyer, even though Star Convoy went for insane amounts on e-bay, it doesn't mean their sales with the re-issue will be as good. Don't forget God Ginrai. Look at how stores have stock of him even after all these years, and at low prices. I think he retailled at 7500 yen when he came out?

About the BBTS arguement: I think the mail responce Brave Maximus got says it all. The rise in all their prices is because of the shipping costs they have to pay. So in other words, you are not only paying for shipping to your house, but for their shipping as well [practically].

Nothing personal to all customers of that shop [please don't think this way] but if you're not eligible for their small shipping fee, you're screwed. You're paying an inflated item price, PLUS 30 dollars shipping for express delivery, no matter how small the item is. And their delivery times take two weeks, while hlj's take less than a week. And shipping is cheaper, depending on the item. ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Don't forget God Ginrai.
Massively overproduced, and Powermaster Prime has been abundant for years.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Yeah, the God Ginrai reissue wasn't the brightest on the planet (neither was the Apex Armour Powermaster Optimus Prime....) before the reissue, you could get a complete PM Op for... $25USD-ish. So why would people pay $65-70USD for a different version? Not the best idea.

On the other hand - Star Convoy is very highly sought after and a BIG tf.... So time will tell. If he goes well, we might start seeing things like Victory Saber and Overlord - as the moulds were much newer and probably in better shape.

As for your apparent hate of BBTS: Don't like them, don't shop there. ;) But there are lots of places I can suggest not going to....

It's insane to think that they wouldn't recoup the cost of importing the big guy. They also have great service you can trust (as opposed to some other online toy stores that I'm pissed off at) HLJ can offer it cheaper because they are IN Japan - but when it arrives, you still have to pay the import fee, which BBTS absorbs. Personal preference - and I'm not sure if it's all that relative to the conversation at hand. I posted the snipet of an email to verify the rumour of Star Convoy.

Quick edit: This Star Convoy just sold for $610USD. So, if anyone objects to paying $95 for one........
Damn, the buyer is going to be pissed tomorrow when he finds out about the reissue.....:laugh:
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Seems to pretty much confirms this rumor I would think. I was dead on the $75 price mark too ;)

Good thing too. Take a look at the link I posted earlier for an MISB Star Convoy. I think the price for a reissue is very good if an original went for that much. I pity the guy who just bought the original though...maybe...nah.
SPOILER! (select to read)
In case the link goes dead, which it eventually will, the figure went for $610. That price does not include the $20 shipping fee.
Edit: Damn you, Brave Max! :p