[Prime] I finally finished season 1!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Paul053

[Prime] I finally finished season 1!

Post by Paul053 »

Why is that important? Because it's the first time my wife watched all the way with me for this type of cartoon as she normally has no interest at all. Her favorite character is Starscream and felt kind of sad toward the end when he disappeared and not so happy seeing me customizing my FE Starscream. While I tend to wait for the season 2 DVD (we don't have cable at home), she is poking around on Youtube to find the season 2 episode. So for this reason, I give this show two big thumbs up.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Season 1 definitely feels higher quality, storytelling at least, compared to season 2.

I'm also watching the very early darkness rising episodes at the moment in 1080p quality [DEFINITELY worth watching this way] and the animation feels way too "beta"-ish compared to later episodes.

Season 1 feels more "mature" as well, extremely decent voice acting by sci-fi legends [Firefly stars getting an episode to themselves, Jeffrey Combs, the awesome cop from the Crow as Agent Fowler, Starscream, Knockout...Tony Todd in season 2] and production values. Although to be fair, the end episodes did seem to come out of nowhere with the whole Unicron plot.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I have been pretty disappointed with Season 2 so far, but then I line it up with Season 1, which was also pretty spotty at around this stage (only really watchable for the then-new Knock Out, so I'm not writing it off yet. Though obviously it'd be great if we didn't have the same peaks and troughs. I guess people who wanted TF shows more in line with Gundam have their wish, with bugger-all happening for most of the first dozen episodes of any series.
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

in 1080 blu ray does it look better or do the flaws stick out more???
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Watching it more last night, it's in 720p.

Animation errors and inconsistencies are easier to catch, that's it. The entire battle sequence in the mine, episode 2, looked like beta testing animation to me. Bots looked weird, lighting looked weird, vehicons were oddly coloured and animated. Plus, Cliffjumper had his eyes opened [ie blue] before Megatron used the shard.

There's some jaw dropping moments for TV children's show animation, though. For instance, I NEVER noticed that Cliffjumper wakes up with a more or less normal face in DR:part 2, yet his skin around his right eye comes off for that zombie-distortion effect after a vehicon scores two headshots. And Airrachnid has bug eyes like Waspinator.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Paul053 wrote:Because it's the first time my wife watched all the way with me for this type of cartoon as she normally has no interest at all.
I had the exact same experience watching it with my wife. I told her that The Rock was in it before I watched the first episode, so she sat down "for a few minutes" because she was curious. She never left, and I think she actually enjoyed it a bit more than I did. She picked up who all the characters were pretty quickly, which is surprising because when we watched the movies she had no idea who anyone but Optimus and Bumblebee were. I took that as a sign that Prime is actually a pretty good show, and that I'm not liking it solely because of the "yay robots!" factor.
Paul053 wrote:While I tend to wait for the season 2 DVD (we don't have cable at home), she is poking around on Youtube to find the season 2 episode.
I think they've cracked down on episodes uploaded to Youtube, actually. They started to disappear around about the time that the third episode of season two came out.

Honestly I'm surprised that went on for so long without Hasbro saying boo, since the show is running on a network that they own.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Warcry wrote:I think they've cracked down on episodes uploaded to Youtube, actually. They started to disappear around about the time that the third episode of season two came out.

Honestly I'm surprised that went on for so long without Hasbro saying boo, since the show is running on a network that they own.
Yes. Many of them are banned but "she" finally found some. So we finished the three part Orion stories and guess that's it, we will wait for the DVD.