New X-Men #134

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

New X-Men #134

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is it me, or was that a bit, well, m'eh? I for one am not looking forward to 'Riot at Xavier's' if that's what it'll be like. At least someone nice at Marvel appears to have cut Igor Kordey's hands off...
Hound

Post by Hound »

I agree, it was only mildly entertaining. I suppose if I were 13, 14 or 15 I might've related to it better...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh... 133 wasn't that great either, though Proudstar turning up is a step closer to declaring X-Force 115 to have not existed. Which is good. ****ing Edginton...
Hound

Post by Hound »

134's cover kicked ass though, even if Jean didn't do anything in that issue...

Uncanny is picking up though...
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

I thought it was a nice setup for the whole "Riot" storyline coming up. I thought there was some solid characterization going on as well. My pet peeve of covers having nothing to do with the storyline inside continues... Jean had nothing to do? She wasn't even in the damn issue...

The art was nice, too. It'll be nice to have Quitely back next issue, even if that guarantees it'll ship late. ;)
Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

Post by Nova-Ting Ranger »

Originally posted by BigMaki
I thought it was a nice setup for the whole "Riot" storyline coming up. I thought there was some solid characterization going on as well. My pet peeve of covers having nothing to do with the storyline inside continues... Jean had nothing to do? She wasn't even in the damn issue...

The art was nice, too. It'll be nice to have Quitely back next issue, even if that guarantees it'll ship late. ;)

I never really judge a issue as a stand alone thing anymore, especially with X-Men comics now a days. In order to better judge the issue, I wait until the entire story arch is done, or the paper back, then judge on how it sets up the story.

But here's what I think so far: It's about time we saw what goes on with the students some more. As for the little mutie with the sugar problem, I get this really weird Full Metal Jacket vibe from him. It's like the Boot Camp part of the movie. Every thing is screaming clean and sharp, like the movie's flim style, yet there's hidden edge that's slowly beening built up.

Now for Summers. I really don't think he had an affiar with Emma. He said that when he fused with Apoc, Apoc stripped away what little he had in life, living him cold. I'm guessing from when he saw the world through Apoc's eyes or eye, it basically killed his perceptions on life. I think he learned that life is Joke, and nothing changes. The only thing he can do now is to ride that joke to the end. That would go a long way to killing a man's libido. I mean why procreate when you don't see any value in life any more? That's what is eating the man. It's basically against everything that he believed in, which would kill his libido even more. So in that last issue where Emma and him did a little "Creative Roleplaying", I think Summers was playing a cruel joke to get back at Emma. And she's just hiding it from the world.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

I thought it was an excellent stand alone issue with a lot of characterisation of the new students. (I love the Stepford Cuckoos.) it foreshadowed things to come well too.

And Keron Grant's art was stunning. Pity he's only in on a fill in, but having seen some of Quitely's art for the next story arc I can say that that is even better.

Remember kids, Morrison is promising the death of a much loved X-Man in this arc...
Pope Discordia ~ Chaos since 1979.

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton." ~ Lazurus Churchyard.

Forum.[email=lawrencesrider@hotmail.com?subject=SubCultural Evolution signup.]Mailing List[/email].For sale/Trade.Savant.Robot Fist.
Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

ReallY? I have to say... Xorn. Okay Xorn isn't that loved, but I think he would go nuts over a riot.

I can't see wolverine selling the farm, cause he got his own series.

Hmmm.... will riot at Xavier's cross over with Uncanny?

OF the new X-men's regular cast, there is the following beloveded characters:

Emma
Jean
Xavier
Wolvie
Scott
Hank
Also from Uncanny:
Ice-man
Angel
NightCrawler

Anyone wanna guess?

My guess is... Beast or Nightcrawler.

Then again, he could cheat us by making a non-regular character die, like ProudStar.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

'll be someone out of left field. This is Morrison we're talking about... :)

It could be any X-Character from the past 40 years. Cannonball was a beloved memebr of the team, wasn't he?

Xorn is wonderful. I love Xorn in unclean ways.

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton." ~ Lazurus Churchyard.

Forum.[email=lawrencesrider@hotmail.com?subject=SubCultural Evolution signup.]Mailing List[/email].For sale/Trade.Savant.Robot Fist.
Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

Originally posted by popediscordia
'll be someone out of left field. This is Morrison we're talking about... :)

It could be any X-Character from the past 40 years. Cannonball was a beloved memebr of the team, wasn't he?

Xorn is wonderful. I love Xorn in unclean ways.

Yes, that will do wonders for the man. Being loved in uncleaned ways, yay.

Yes, I too agree that morrison will pull someone out of left field. Then again, he did killed magneto in the least expected way.

After all these years, I always pictured him meeting his final end kicking and screaming. And along his way to hell, I'd always imagine that he would take Charles with him.
His final moment left a strong creepy feeling in me. A character that has been among the X-men's #1 threats since day one, an nemeis like none other, a man where power flows through his very vains, dies so suddenly and quietly. With that final look on his face, he never looked more human to me than ever before.

Then again, he could just kill Beak.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

I think killing him the way he did was probably the best that could have happened. Especially since he's following through and creating a proper cult based around him, not just the frankly quite pathetic Acolytes.

Magneto is dead, but he will still be the most influential villian in the X-Men. I like that idea.

Personally, I want to see Professor X bite the the big one. It would open a whole world of possibilities. We could have the Beast take over the school.

Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

I think killing him the way he did was probably the best that could have happened. Especially since he's following through and creating a proper cult based around him, not just the frankly quite pathetic Acolytes.

Magneto is dead, but he will still be the most influential villian in the X-Men. I like that idea.

Personally, I want to see Professor X bite the the big one. It would open a whole world of possibilities. We could have the Beast take over the school.

Kill the dreamer and see if the dreamer still lives on through the dream? Or is to "Kill the dreamer and see if the dream still lives?"

It would be intresting to see is the school develops its own cult around Xavier. Then he'll be like god, people killing in his name, for all the wrong reasons.

We all know it will be.... Logan to take over the school. Why? Cause he's the oldest. It's just like the family car for kids. The oldest always get first crack at it.

Of course, we all know he'll die from smoking cigars two days later. So...

That leaves the usual, Scott or Jean. Jean will most likely take over, since Scott too Phucked up, and Jean will most likely split the school with other long standing members, such as Beast, and Storm.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

A cult of Xavier would be great. Reminds me of the 'Charlie don't surf' shirts that Morphine Somers used to wear in Doom 2099/X-Men 2099. Great stuff.

Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

A cult of Xavier would be great. Reminds me of the 'Charlie don't surf' shirts that Morphine Somers used to wear in Doom 2099/X-Men 2099. Great stuff.

Never read any of 2099 line.

But I do remember A Morph the good ol' age of Apoc.

Now there was a bleak world.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

One will die? My money's on Beast, then, to be honest... Emma's really only just joined, Scotty's just getting interesting, Jean's too obvious and has too many easy ways to get back... I doubt he's allowed to really kill anyone from the other books unless he asks nicely... if he is, Kurt maybe? Bobby? I just hope it's not an X-Corps cop-out... I alwasy remember when there was all that hype about an avenger dying in the Crossing one-shot, and it was bloody Gilgamesh... I mean, who?
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

They killed Yellowjacket in the Crossing too...

I'm still hoping for Xavier.

Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

I'm still hoping for Xavier.

He doesn't qualify, because he isn't that Beloved of a character. :D
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

I really hate it when they hype the death of a character... Magneto's worked because it kind of came out of the blue (as death usually does). To have everyone guessing who will die cheapens it that much more. Even though Marvel has the "dead means dead" policy now, it still feels cheap to do that.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

Marvel haven't hyped it. It was mentioned by Morrison in an interview a while back, and no-one really followed up on it, prefering instead to concentrate on the more immediate points that he made.

ProckoZero
Protoform

Post by ProckoZero »

I personally don't read stories just because "ooh, I'm gonna kill off one of your favorite characters, you better read to find out!"

That's part of the reason why I'm not a fan of Grant Morrison's run on the New X-Men...I know I might catch some flak for this, but I'm still in love with the old school blue and yellow spandex superheroes. I'd rather have my kids someday reading non-realistic comics teaching them lessons about civil rights rather than a gritty tale where a major character dies every story arc.

Mark my words about Magneto though...he'll be back, unless Marvel really is gradually shifting over to the Ultimate line.

99 percent of what makes Marvel the House of Ideas is its characters that stand above, as a whole, the rest of the comic industry's folkels. Magneto (who has died more than once) is one of the most well known super villains, especially with the movies coming out. I doubt that he's going to be gone forever...just gone for as long as Morrison is on the book.

"Someone may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."