[CUSTOM] kitbashing question...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
*BARRAGE*

kitbashing question...

Post by *BARRAGE* »

i am curious if anyone knows of a readily handy form of removing enamel off a transformer figure withoput seriously damaging the plastic (specifically- the grey "flame" design off of classics cliffjumper)...

if there is not a good way- is testors model enamel a good paint to use on them...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Clay

Post by Clay »

As far as I know, enamels aren't used on Transformers. That kind of paint takes too long to dry.

91% rubbing alcohol, a cotton ball, and a bit of scrubbing will take the flames off easily. I'd recommend taking it apart first so as to not wash off other paint.
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

i'll try that- thanks a lot!

i have already removed his facial features and horns- and have painted the newly made faceplate silver and am planning on giving him a new set of body art- he will soon be a Decepticon with pyrokinetic powers and a special claw attachment to give him a bit more personality...

my next project is to make that scion XB alternator a decepticon of sorts... just have to buy him... bwahaha
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Xstarscreamx
my next project is to make that scion XB alternator a decepticon of sorts... just have to buy him... bwahaha

I've painted a couple of Scions now. They're not the most difficult Alternators to work with, but they're not the easiest either.

I made an attachment in this thread as to which parts to scrub to get the flames off and which ones to avoid getting alcohol on. Good luck!
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

thanks much... i need something art-like to keep my hands busy and in practice when i get artist block (which is happening more frequently, must be my lack of caffeine from no longer drinking soda- f*ckin healthy choices in life...) and custom TFs seem like a fun idea... i have seen those scions already- i looked at the kitbash section for a while before i settled on the idea (no ass kissing- yours are some of the coolest...)
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Clay is correct, they don't use enamels on toys for one very good reason, not only do enamels take too long, but they also only cure on certain types of plastics. Enamels won't cure on urethane, vinyl, PVC, rubber, or other soft plastics. Enamels on;ly cure on hard plastics like Styrene, ABS and Acrylic. Another problem with enamels is that the solvents in them can and do damage plastics, particularly Styrene. Enamels cure by eating into the plastic and chemically bonding to it. This can weaken the plastic and over time destroy it. Thus, it is better to use acrylic model paints for any custom.
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

the alchohol worked wonders! thanks much!

unfotunately- my kitbash has hit a snag- or rather a snag hit it... my Runamok's punch gimmick went off and knocked the now decoration-less Cliffjumper off my shelves, and the roof/windshield broke off/apart and cannot be repaired-

so the new figure is being reworked, and hopefully i can figure a way around his not haveing a windshield (i'm thinking his alt mode will now be a bumber car... suggestions?)

will post pics soon, now that i have my digital camera working again...

oh- and thanks Tramp for the enamel info- i have never used it in my art or really had an interest so i assumed that the stuff on toys was some sort of enamel... i'll keep that in mind!
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Where did the roof/windshield break? Can you post a pic?
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

not readily- camera has no battery power right now...

the roof snapped at the end of the little arms that rest on either side of the head- and the wind shield itself broke into three pieces- he fell a good 5 1/2 feet, i have since removed runamoks springs to avoid damage to the rest of my collection...

gotta go- mom needs me to pick her up at work...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD