Don Murphy news: Michael Bay STILL not confirmed, plus... George Lazenby?!?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Don Murphy news: Michael Bay STILL not confirmed, plus... George Lazenby?!?

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cassettacon 27
Protoform

Post by Cassettacon 27 »

Cool. Who's George Lazenby?:confused:
Joke. Noun. A thing said or done to cause laughter. Something not in earnest or ridiculous.

-Slash
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

But I saw an interview, of sorts, where he said he was working on it.

lemme see if I can find it again.......

It was in the other thread......
http://www.iesb.net/movies2/michaelbayint.php
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Cassettacon 27

James Bond.
Cassettacon 27
Protoform

Post by Cassettacon 27 »

James Bond

There's like 27 of them out there. Which one?
Joke. Noun. A thing said or done to cause laughter. Something not in earnest or ridiculous.

-Slash
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

There's like 27 of them out there. Which one?

On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
stoltobot
Protoform

Post by stoltobot »

*hint: he isn't the owner of http://www.imdb.com
________
HERB SCALES
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Hmmmm...the worst Jimmy Bond actor in the TF movie? Could it be possible...or, are we reading into this too much.

Maybe they're just good friends?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by AutobotJazz
Hmmmm...the worst Jimmy Bond actor in the TF movie?

No, they said George Lazenby, not Sean Connery in Never Say Never Again...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Well, I saw the Michael Bay interview.

Which led me a very serous question.

Does this guy know what the hell Transformers are all about?

In Hollywood, you will find numerous people willing to jump on this bandwagon, given the monetary potential behind it. By Bay's interview, he strikes me as one who is looking at this project as just another film. And why do I get the feeling the guy barely knows squat about the Transformers. Something just didn't sit right with me regarding his level of awareness with the Transformers. Maybe the guy knows how to make a kickass action scene, but as in comics, its not the fancy 'artwork', but the story behind it, that makes something worthwhile.

This film should be an intelligent one. Granted, its based on a toy line, but given its potential, it should not be a film carelessly left with numerous plotholes and flaws.

We all know that the films biggest draw will be its 'eye candy'. I mean, there's no way of getting around that. But what will elevate this film to the level of greatness, the level of 'classic', will be the story its founded on.

I hope to hell Michael Bay has a love of Transformers that a Simon Furman, a Peter Cullen, an everyday average TF diehard has. Because given that interview, I get the feeling his level of excitement about this project is quite lacking.
Grimlock2983
Protoform

Post by Grimlock2983 »

Don't be too hasty in judging Bay simply because he doesn't know much of the TF mythos. Brian Singer didn't know much about X-Men when he signed on with that movie, and they turned out fine.
Blaster: "Grimlock, look over there!"

Grimlock: "You think Grimlock stupid, fall for trick."

Blaster: "Well, yes and no. Yes, I think you're stupid. But no, it's not a trick."

*Decepticons attack while Blaster and Grimlock battle for leadersihp of the Autobots, Issue #41*
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Yeah, but in my opinion, anyone who says the word "Transformers", and stresses the first syllable instead of the second (TRANS-for-mers instead of trans-FOR-mers) ain't no fan of our favorite bots. Its a clear indication he isn't really a fan. A dead give away.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

No, they said George Lazenby, not Sean Connery in Never Say Never Again.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

D

Don't mess with the Connery........

:D

Anyway. I agree that this dude didn't seem really 'with it' when the questions of Transformers kept coming up.

Who knows? Maybe he'll surprise us.

(hopefully)
Grimlock2983
Protoform

Post by Grimlock2983 »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Its a clear indication he isn't really a fan. A dead give away.

I don't (necessarily) equate this to be a horrible thing. Brad Mick was a fan of Transformers, and his work went to the extreme of it, with so many "easter eggs" it annoyed the heck out of most people. And again, Bryan Singer wasn't a "fan" of X-Men when he started doing those movies, and he did great with them.

If Bay still can't pronounce Transformers by opening day, then I'll be concerned.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

OH GOD NO! We can't be having a director who's not a drooling fanboy! Oh deary me no! Hire some wanker with no record with films to speak of, but can recite all of "MTMTE" without prompts. That's the way to box-office success! And as for sort-of mispronouncing the name - the bastard! Go round his house and wave your reissue Megatron at him.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
And as for sort-of mispronouncing the name - the bastard! Go round his house and wave your reissue Megatron at him.

I did.

He filed a police report accusing me of attacking him with an Optimus Prime toy.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.......;)
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
OH GOD NO! We can't be having a director who's not a drooling fanboy! Oh deary me no! Hire some wanker with no record with films to speak of, but can recite all of "MTMTE" without prompts. That's the way to box-office success! And as for sort-of mispronouncing the name - the bastard! Go round his house and wave your reissue Megatron at him.

What he said. With even more sarcasm. ;)
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

Quoth Commander Shockwav:
Does this guy know what the hell Transformers are all about?

In Hollywood, you will find numerous people willing to jump on this bandwagon, given the monetary potential behind it. By Bay's interview, he strikes me as one who is looking at this project as just another film. And why do I get the feeling the guy barely knows squat about the Transformers. Something just didn't sit right with me regarding his level of awareness with the Transformers. Maybe the guy knows how to make a kickass action scene, but as in comics, its not the fancy 'artwork', but the story behind it, that makes something worthwhile.
This is a good thing.

He can look at the movie in a more objective manner, to see it from an outsider's viewpoint.
An intelligent story is desired, yes, but it is critical for the movie's success for the story to be accessible to the average theatergoer, whose in-depth knowledge of Transformers ends with 'they're toys, right?' This requires a director to have the ability to stand away from a subject and look at it critically, to say, "this won't work, even if it is a big part of established lore". By definition, a fanboy can't do that.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Maybe its a good thing that they're taking on some one with some distance from the franchise. The movie cannot turn out the same way as the G1 cartoon, comic (Marvel or Dreamweave) or any of the other spin offs.

The movie(s) need to head in a separate direction entirely and have some distance between it and the toy line that spawned it...it just wouldnt great. The extreme fanboys may love it but they need to draw in a new audience and they wont do this by pandering to the TF 'elite' (as they may consider themselves). By bringing in new people the franchise can stay alive and by bringing in a director with little 'fan' knowledge, but more of an awareness, can help to keep the movie and the core concept fresh.

Can you dig?
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

Originally posted by Grimlock2983
And again, Bryan Singer wasn't a "fan" of X-Men when he started doing those movies, and he did great with them.

TBH, Brian changed lot of thing from the comic, but was able to manain the essence of a group of super-powered human that fight for normal human people, despite the fact that they hate the mutant. For example, Raimi did a great job with SpiderMan, mantaining the essence of the character, but i was disappointed (with many other) because they give Peter a "living" web instead of the polymeric web created in the comics: "oops, i ended my last supply of web fluid" (during a battle) is IMO Spdey at his best.
Originally posted by Grimlock2983
If Bay still can't pronounce Transformers by opening day, then I'll be concerned.

what is the canonic (italian) pronunciation of TF? :)