DOCTOR WHO: 9th to 10th discussion [spoilers]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Eccleston quits Dr. Who allready.

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Adding to the plethora of Dr. Who related threads i have this for y'all. Eccleston has allready quit the role of the doctor for fear of being "typecast". The BBC is in talks with David Tennant fo rthe "second" series of the current run to be made confirmed yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 395849.stm
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
malcos
Protoform

Post by malcos »

How did I know something like this would happen?
Thanks to Mininin for the sig.

Click here for Ravnica: City of Guilds spoilers
Originally posted by Sir Auros
fuci, everthing that movew!
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

crosses fingers and hopes is just an early misguided April Fool
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The time for the big regeneration retcon looms closer and closer...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

If the series is a ratings success, what chance of somehow getting McGann back I wonder? He might be tempted by that.

And please, not that little cock off Casanova.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I hope this is just a ploy to get a bigger paycheck. Otherwise, my middle finger to Eccleston.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Typecast?

I thought, if anything, being on Who would stop him getting typecast... I mean it's an improvement on his previous range of "northern git" through to "miserable northern git" surely?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, having some sort of acting range is a good dodge from typecasting...
spiderfrommars
Protoform

Post by spiderfrommars »

Didn't Davison once say the same thing, hence he did only 3 seasons?

You can see his point - he's probably had the most acting work since of all the ex-doctors...
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Hmmm, you could have a nice gimmick though, with a different doc every series?

Hmm I think I remember someone telling me Simon Pegg is in this series? Shame he would have made a good doctor, if the comedy approach to the new series is anything to go by.

David Tennant? CASSANOVA?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nighy doesn't sound a bad option, if he'd do it.

David Walliams perhaps?

It'll probably be Billie Piper as a 'lady' doctor, taking BBC sci-fi in a new cutting edge direction.

Or sod it and give it to Vic Reeves or James Nesbitt and we'll watch erm 'Joey' instead, coz you see it's Joey from friends, only this time he's..................zZzZzzzzzzzzzzz
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Haven't seen Casonova, but Tennant's great in the Big Finish Doctor Who audio's he's done, where he's virtually become the new Michael Sheard... Four or five roles (most promonanlty the new head of UNIT oposite David Warner and Nick Courtney in Sympathy for the Devil and as the lead in the third Dalek Empire season...) played well and distincivly enough to not feel like the same actor. Certainly more range than Eccleston's shown in other roles... The big mark against him I'd imagin is the beeb will probably want an actor they can sell in America.

A real shame about Chris, but it's worth noting the stuff about typecasting is a assumption by the press (unlike the Tennant thing, which the BBC has confirmed) so may not be true. A BBC big wig has made some cryptic comments about it having to do with the drama departments recently reduced budget, so he may simply be to expensive now.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Wildrider

Hmm I think I remember someone telling me Simon Pegg is in this series? Shame he would have made a good doctor, if the comedy approach to the new series is anything to go by.

Wouldn't mind seeing Simon as the doctor to be honest, he likes Doctor Who, as he included referances of it in SPACED and is narrating the BBC3 (or is it 4) behind the scenes show or something, is a good actor, can be sold in America (thanks to Shaun of the Dead) etc
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

But he freely admits to prefering Star Wars!

Still, there's nothing to stop him becoming the Doctor despite having a guest role, look at Colin Baker...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
dai-atlas2000
Protoform

Post by dai-atlas2000 »

I have to say that I'm really disappointed by this news, especially since a second series of 13 episodes has been given the go ahead. It's disappointing because it's another regeneration lost on only one season of Doctor Who - the doctor only has a finite number of regenerations - 12 regenerations - after that, a Timelord is supposed to die (the BBC will find someway to stretch it further). The point is McGann did one TV story, and that's it (yes he did the audios, etc too), Eccleston did one series, and now he's gone - at this rate, we'll be through the other regenerations before we know it...

He shoudl have stayed for one more year at least.
Dai
(offical tea-boy and unofficial Alt ID of Snake)
RARRRR!!RR!!RRR!R!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by dai-atlas2000
the doctor only has a finite number of regenerations - 12 regenerations
I wish people would quit repeating this bunkum. He's already been re-loomed.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
I wish people would quit repeating this bunkum. He's already been re-loomed.

As an aside, Phillip Hinchcliffe [producer on Seasons 12-14 (yeh, Robot was technically part of Season 11, swivel on it bitches] has stated in interviews more than once than the faces in "Brain of Morbius" were intended to be Doctors that preceded Hartnell [which makes a lot of sense, really... Hartnell managed about 600 years of knocking around the universe, and then the others get a century or less? He's getting more experienced and smarter, not stupider and more crealess... always bugged me in the N* Doctor specials that the first one's ambling around like the big cheese when Pertwee or Davison's been kicking round a few centuries more... but I digress], so it's not a matter of the Beeb suddenly going "Oh ****, we'd better do something about this" all of a sudden.

Lance Parkin [writer of several Virgin and Beeb books] put forward a theory in the fanzines a few years ago that following the Davison Doctor, the Doctor moves on to a new regeneration cycle. The logic goes that Davison isn't sure whether he'll regenerate [the Spectrox toxaemia isn't really any more threatening to regeneration that what Pertwee went though], and that it "feels different this time". Colin's unstable persona may also be a result of moving on to a new cycle, an unusual, possibly unique event. If the Timelords can glibly offer a bearded tosser like the Master a new set of lives for simply ambling into the Death Zone, they'd be up for giving their reigning President [not to mention the guy who's saved the universe several hundred times] another kick of the ball - possibly even without the Doctor's knowledge... sure, there's dialogue to the contrary, but then when do the UNIT adventures take place? What's Pat doing running errands for the Timelords with a forty-year old Jamie? How do the Cybermen know their own future in Earthshock?

I'm going to try and scan that article if I can, I'm 99% it was reprinted in Licence Denied...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Disclaimer: I don't 100% agree with everything ever in that there article, it's just fascinating food for thought. It also shows you can think outside the box... and what does Transformers have in response? Big ****ing lists of toy variants :(

I don't think Cornell edited the reprint at all as it doesn't go on about how fans don't actually watch Doctor Who, and are actually all gay. God, that was a diabolically edited book...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This is also really quite funky if it has bandwidth left:

http://www.geocities.com/willbswift/docwho3.html
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Scott Mills is campaigning for Radio 1's... uhm... I don't really know what he does... travel bloke or something... Mark "Chappers" Chapman to be the next Who.

He has a petition set up for it, with the form being emailed directly to the series producers. Which is fairly novel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/scottmills/ ... gallerytop

Amusing for five seconds at least.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid

Amusing for five seconds at least.

you're a liar, i didnt find that funny at all.... :p

anyway, just wondering (didnt wanna start ANOTHER thread) anyone see those animated webisodes from a year or two ago, with richard e grant voicing the doctor? what were they like?