Three new Movie pics!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
guardianshand
Protoform

Three new Movie pics!

Post by guardianshand »

Hey Guys, go to the link below and look at three new pics from the movie. I think it's gonna be GREAT!

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/transformers.html
Wheelieizmyhomeboy
Protoform

Post by Wheelieizmyhomeboy »

That looks totally awesome!!! Can't wait for July 2nd (In Australia)
Bah weep grah nah weep, ninny balm!!
Maraudermus Prime 2
Protoform

Post by Maraudermus Prime 2 »

Hmm, those pics don't look that bad. Yes, very nice.
Although I heard the release date was changed to July 28 somewhere... :eyebrow:
FANTASTIC!
The Dark Optimus Prime
Protoform

Post by The Dark Optimus Prime »

I donno if its just me, but prime almost comes off as looking young in that pic (i know a "young robot). Maybe its just cuz hes squatting down, but it doesn't look like he has much mass to him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The robot CGI looks insubstantial to me... more like good game graphics than real metal and blended with the scene. I don't think the tech is really there yet to quite pull this off... it works fine when you want an entire background that's moved past quickly (eg, Swordfish, the city scenes) but less is more -- concentrate directly on the graphics and it's very difficult to not notice light and reflections not being quite right, or being too mathematically precise.

Release date = varies for different countries.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
The robot CGI looks insubstantial to me... more like good game graphics than real metal and blended with the scene. I don't think the tech is really there yet to quite pull this off... it works fine when you want an entire background that's moved past quickly (eg, Swordfish, the city scenes) but less is more -- concentrate directly on the graphics and it's very difficult to not notice light and reflections not being quite right, or being too mathematically precise.

I think the staticality (yes, I'm making up words) of the image doesn't help much. Overall effect will probably be a lot more plausible when in motion. They've also got at least another couple of months before release... I doubt that any images that have been released are quite the "finished" product yet... it's the sort of thing that I dare say they'll be tweaking for as long as they can get away with it.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Theres a video of Op up on craveonline.com but I cant get it to load.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

No video. It's just the same three pictures (but say "in action" is misleading).
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

There is a video, if you look at the bottom of the page it says "Check out the new Transformers TV spot here." but its jus come to may that its more than likely just the destiny or hidden ones, nothing new.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Oh yeah, I did see that. And yes, I assumed the same (that it was just one of the videos we'd already seen...that definatley had no "Prime in Action" :))

Maybe it is new though.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Brendocon
I think the staticality (yes, I'm making up words) of the image doesn't help much.

Exactly... comparing a still with a city wooshing by in the background of Swordfish is hardly a spirit level. I agree the robots do look very CGI in stills, but then the film will be a motion picture, not a slide-show...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They're going to be stationary at some point, particularly likely on close-ups of characters talking.

Assuming the film's not just one long explosion reel.

I'm just surprised they'd want this stuff public if it's not yet up to snuff.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Assuming the film's not just one long explosion reel.

[insert Michael Bay gag here]
starscreamjericho
Protoform

Post by starscreamjericho »

Not bad the pics look good to me
Bonecusher looks really good.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

They're going to be stationary at some point, particularly likely on close-ups of characters talking.
But it does bear considering that there are degrees of detail. Certainly they'd spend more time on cleaning up the shots where the human eye may actually have a chance to see something, but they'd want to put the action-packed ones online for promotion.

I'm still stoked.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Reflector
but they'd want to put the action-packed ones online for promotion.

So we're blaming Yahoo for taking stills from wherever they felt like in the promo reel, and saying the movie people don't have control over how their advance publicity is handled?

Seems a shade unlikely. And the posters don't look substantially different -- they're glaringly evident as renders.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

No by "they" I'm pretty sure he meant the publicity people for the movie. Unless you're assuming that Yahoo! is also responsible for cleaning up the movie.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Again, I'm having a hard time believing that the movie people want their production to look like cheap CGI.

If Yahoo didn't pick those stills, a peon somewhere is probably desk-clearing.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Long answer - Notabot nailed it. Basically, I reckon three potential promotion angles on this issue:

1) Highlight the action, and clean up every action frame in the movie on the off chance it gets picked for promo, costing a fortune;

2) Use what they have and highlight the CGI quality using photos of Bumblebee looking emotional, boring the outsiders they're trying to snare;

3) Use what they have and highlight the action using not-exactly-perfect stills from fight scenes, and hope nobody complains.

So naturally they don't want their CGI to look cheap, but it's the cheapest option that'll still keep people interested. [EDIT: Of course, if it was Yahoo's pick, they still could only choose from the footage the studio gave them, so there's no sense in claiming it wasn't at least partially intentional to take this direction with promo.]

If this thread's (where we have one skeptic out of about a dozen commenters) representative of the overall community, I'd say they picked the right angle.

Short answer - *shrug* I really don't think it looks that bad, and it'll look better in motion, even when they're just standing around.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

which autobot is coming out of the swimming pool? and personally, out of the three cgi shots, i would LOVE to have that as a poster, or wall scroll on my wall! i am really amazed at the face's cgi quality. yes, i am well aware one and all that i am praising a very human-like face from that one, but for some reason, that face grew on me. anyway, its even awesome we are actually seeing TFtM 2007 previews even on cartoon network finally! kudos to the cartoon network/adult swim staff for getting the previews, kudos to the cgi shots, and kudos to seibertron.com and this lovely site on getting character shots.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines