Dreamwave Artist Working On Star Wars Comic

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Bombshell

Dreamwave Artist Working On Star Wars Comic

Post by Bombshell »

Nicked from the Official Star Wars Site.

The new and improved Star Wars Tales makes a big splash with issue #21, a new anthology of stories that offers sophisticated and exciting adventures. In this issue, meet vengeful Jedi wanderer Darca Nyl, see a rag-tag group of Imperial cutthroats flying as a TIE fighter squadron, and witness Kyle Katarn square off against the Yuuzhan Vong, and more.

Star Wars Tales #21 features the talents of Rob Williams, Shane McCarthy, Nathan P. Butler, Brandon Badeaux, James Raiz, and others, with cover art by Lee Bermejo. It is scheduled for release on September 8.

If you've read Armada 3-5, you know how hard it is for Raiz to draw humans. Still, I've had contact with Nathan Butler, the man who is writing the story that Raiz has drawn. He says the artwork is better than his Armada stuff. If you're me, you'll wait to see the finished artwork before saying he's right.

Still, I'll probably pick up the issue, if only to see how well one of DW's guys can handle something that isn't TF.

Oh, and this isn't the first time a DW artist has work on Star Wars. DW president Pat Lee drew the cover for Star Wars Tales #14.
Blacknife
Protoform

Re: Dreamwave Artist Working On Star Wars Comic

Post by Blacknife »

If you've read Armada 3-5, you know how hard it is for Raiz to draw humans.

Riaz has trouble with anime humans, not "regular" ones. I imagine this SW is not anime style. Riaz does very well with "regular" humans in Tokyo Storm Warning.

Tokyo Storm Warning
Still, I've had contact with Nathan Butler, the man who is writing the story that Raiz has drawn. He says the artwork is better than his Armada stuff. If you're me, you'll wait to see the finished artwork before saying he's right.
Yes, it will be.
Still, I'll probably pick up the issue, if only to see how well one of DW's guys can handle something that isn't TF.
Handled quite well imho.
Oh, and this isn't the first time a DW artist has work on Star Wars. DW president Pat Lee drew the cover for Star Wars Tales #14.
KingMob
Protoform

Post by KingMob »

I quite liked Tokyo Storm Warning, but I guess that's because I'm a slavish Warren Ellis fanboy.

As for Raiz's human characters, to be frank I thought they were drawn in that practically cookie-cutter sub-Jim Lee fashion that 3/4 of the comics market seems to expect of edgy superhero-influenced titles.
Actually, they were better than that, as there were some distinctive elements to his designs.

I read TSW before I saw any other of Raiz's work and I wasn't excited by it in in the slightest. However, it wasn't crap, and some of the sequences with the ARCangels fighting the space-gribblies were impressively detailed. I did really like his work in the Megatron back-up strip, as well.

However, I've only bought one Star Wars comic in my puff (Garth Ennis and John McCrea collaboration too tempting to resist) and James Raiz is in no way an enticement for me to start.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by KingMob
that's because I'm a slavish Warren Ellis fanboy.
I'm not seeing a problem there...

I wonder if his Death Star will outmatch Dreamwave's attempt at Unicron?

*cough*

No, let's not even go there...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wait, someone mentions a Bryan Hitch topic ad it's belted miles away, but this is okay?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Which one was that, and who's Bryan Hitch?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... adid=24192

And assuming you're not kidding me, Bryan Hitch pencilled Ellis' run on The Authority, and The Ultimates. But before that he did pencils for Transformers UK, including #151, #172-173 and a pile of covers from around that time. He contributed more to Transformers than James Raiz, and is [with no offence to James] infinitely more talented. He's the greatest living comic book artist.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I rarely (if ever) notice artist's names. I can tell a few styles apart, but generally not who something is by. Apparently I like his work lots, even if I don't recognise his name...

Raiz is currently directly involved with the company which is (god help us) directing Transformers in comic form. Hitch hasn't been involved with TFs for a long while, isn't a "household name", and that thread would sink very quickly in here—it might get some discussion in the other forum.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
He's the greatest living comic book artist.

What, when did George Pérez die? ;)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

No, he's just not quite as good as Bryan Hitch.

Of course, Perez usually takes deadlines as something other than optional ;) Quite how Hitch's Authority run shipped monthly is beyond me... He seemed to have trouble even keeping Transformers and Death's Head on schedule...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Denyer
Hitch hasn't been involved with TFs for a long while, isn't a "household name

I'm not that familiar with different artists either, but the news story in SFX made it seem he's quite the big name (it even got onto the cover, some groan inducing pun along the lines of "Guess who's giving the Doctor a make over!"), and the review of The Ultimates in the same issue also made him seem like the current hotest name in comics.

I'm not disagreeing with the decision to move the thread because its true he's not been involved with TF's in years, but he must be one of the closest thing to a household name to have worked on the comic.

Incidently, there was a fair number of people on Outpost Gallifrey who had no idea who Hitch was untill someone mentioned Death's Head:up:
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!