FYI: Micromasters #1 & Summer Special came out today...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
BigMaki
Protoform

FYI: Micromasters #1 & Summer Special came out today...

Post by BigMaki »

Hey, not sure if this belongs in news, but Dreamwave's Transformers Summer Special and Micromasters #1 came out today. I know they weren't listed in Diamond's shipping list for this week, so you may want to head out to the shop and grab a copy before they sell out. My shop sold out of both of them immediately, I got them only because I was on the preorder list. Just an FYI, since I hadn't seen any threads about it yet and had thought they were getting pushed back...
KingMob
Protoform

Post by KingMob »

Only the Special was available in my neck of the woods for some reason.
And it was crap.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Haven't read them yet, but it is Dreamwave...
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Didn't see Micromasters #1. Did see the Summer Special. Was EXTREMELY pissed off that I did see it.
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

hmm? It's *that* bad?
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by deej
hmm? It's *that* bad?

Out of the 4 stories in it, Only Energon is an unqualified "excellent" story.

G1 and BW are decent and let's not even talk about the RiD story...
Strafe. You're a dick. Ishin_ookami - Dec 1st 2003
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

so they managed to **** up rid even more ?
i did not think it was possible
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My comic book guy had the Summer Special but claimed nothing else had come out:confused:
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Strange, I guess I'm the only one who got Micromasters, way it looks. Strange...

Yeah, the Summer Special is utter garbage. I still haven't read Micromasters yet since the Summer Special left such a bad taste in my mouth. :(
Shockmeister
Protoform

Post by Shockmeister »

I didn't see Micromasters #1 around - not a big surprise, I'm in Scotland and the shipping usually takes a while to reach Forbidden Planet/A1 Comics - but picked up the Summer Special. I'm in mixed minds about the contents.

The G1 story, at the core, was quite good, though I would have liked to see some characterisation (if that's possible) for the clone warriors. However, with Pat Lee on art again...bah.

RiD...I didn't know what to expect, really, and quite frankly I was unimpressed. I mean, granted, it's big robots, so there's going to be japanese/anime influences, but..."ULTRA KICK!"? "TSUNAMI BLASTER!"? I didn't think it was possible to come up with something worse than the BW tfs' habit of yelling "Terrorize!"/"Maximize!" when they transform, but this takes the cake. The only thing I liked was the way they wrote Scourge - it just fits. Ultra Magnus, on the other hand, is not what I was expecting, and quite an unwelcome surprise. Oh, and the art was functional, but hardly noteworthy.

Energon was very amusing, and the art was really quite nice. There's very little that I can say was bad in this story...in fact, there's nothing. Class.

Beast Wars...well, it did confuse me at first, since the story took place after the end of the wars...but it cleared itself up, and Figueroa's art was utterly top-class. If they do try a BW series, they'd better get him for it.
Sig-image by DrEvil. He rules...
"I was given a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler." - Jack Kirby's WW2 experience.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

This was nearly two months late (in the grand Dreamwave tradition), but was it worth it? Of the four stories, ones quite good, two are ok and the other pisses on the memory of the show its based on, see if you can guess which is which...

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G1: Was way to short, you were left with all sorts of unanswered questions (How did Razorclaw losse his memory? How did Megatron know what planet the Predacons were on? If the Seekers are mindless clones, why is one of them clearly smiling at one point?). The main sign of to much stuff going on is the Battlebeasts, who only apear on the two pages seen in the preview and have no bearing on the plot what so ever. Still fairly entertaining (once you've recovered from the shock of Pat Lee's art after a six month absence), but would have been much better as a full length issue, with normal wild animals instead of Battlebeasts.

Energon: Nicely done, the story isn't the most original (it's basicly the first few pages of issue 103 from the UK comic three times over, not to mention the Doctor Who audio The Maltease Penguin), but it doesn't outstay its welcome and is the only one of the stories that fits the format (though Furman is an old hand at the shorter issues, hell he even managed to make 6 page stories work... sometimes... ). The arts preaty good as well, though the page where Kicker and the Star Saber do their thang was a little confusing.

RID: I've only seen a few episodes of this show, but it seems that by toning down the humore DW have made it very dull and generic. It didn't help that hard case Ultra Magnus barely ten seconds to change his mind and follow Prime.

Right, if you ignored the spoiler warning above, DON'T READ ON IF YOU WANT THE WORST ENDING OF A TF COMIC IN 20 YEARS RUINED FOR YOU! ahem, sorry, I just wanted to make sure that everyone who wants to experience the full "Was that IT???!!!" experience first hand can do so...

BW: This was always going to be tricky, Beast Wars (unlike G1) only ever had one continuity, and a fairly tight one at that. Fiting "Missing Adventures" in was always going to be hard. Of course, hard doesn't mean impossible, Simon Furman used to regulary fit his UK stuff in seemlessly around the US reprints (IN fact, that and his writing for the TV show would make him a good choice for any future BW comics). So how did Dreamwave fit their story in with the animated show? What cleaver device did they use? The worst in the book... "It was all a dream!!" Arggghhh, Rattrap has forty winks and we share the dream. It's not even a hugely exciting dream, just an excuse to show off some of the toys who were never in the show. No amount of good art could save that resolution, it made me want to vote for RID in the poll on the spot:wall:
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Well I picked up the Summer Special and G1 Ongoing #5. No sign of 4 though, or Micromasters but like Shock said above it can sometimes take longer than expected.

Lets start with the front page.

"Featuring Pat Lee, Don Figueroa and MORE!"
Wow thats interesting. I never knew they were Transformers at all and surprisingly... not to my sadness... they weren't in it.

A few other things that I didn't like. They show all the other Preds that don't make an appearance in it unless you count Predaking. They also use the TM2 Megatron and RID Super Optimus Prime that again do not feature at all in the comic. (Yes it does say "YOUR CHANCE TO PICK DW's' NEXT TRANSFORMERS SERIES" but its still a fault)

Okay now onto the actual series themselves.

G1: Good idea done in a bad way but not annoying. The basis was good, the origin of the Predacons. What wasn't good was putting the Battle Beasts into it for one short bit of a page with out explaining any purpose whatsoever. We only meet one Predacon, RazorClaw... not the others. Then you had the ending which we didn't see. The battle that Megatron wins. The "reprogramming"(sort of) of RazorClaw... and most likely the other Predacons and also how he actually combined them into PredaKing. It could have been so much better with a few enhancements and another artist, Raiz or Figueroa would have done the job much better. This did remind me of a Beast Wars episode, Feral Scream, where Cheetor gets the TM2 upgrade and is "feral". It just seemed really similar with everything in it.

Energon: Two complaints however they are minor so please don't kill me.
One: Decepticons VS Decepticons. No battle whatsoever. No point in that bit.
Two: On the first page Megatron did not have his Decepticon symbol. It was nothing really but thats all to complain about.
Okay, this was the best story by a long shot and by reading the current Energon comics compared to the ongoing G1 you could have guessed it would be. It was a nice idea again but it was done in a better way. 3 individule accounts of failure. There is more character development in the Energon comics than any of the others so far and its no different in this one. We meet 3 Decepticons not yet seen in Energon, only as toys. It also had a nice ending. I also noticed how similar Megatron's face looks like to G1 Megatron/BW Megatron (in the closeup shots). Also how much Slug Slinger also looks a lot like G1 Cyclonus. Its now set in my mind that Armada/Energon continium is really a complete similarity of G1. You have the first two series: Armada the movie: Unicron Battles in Armada and then Seasons 3 and 4: Energon.... well thats the way its lookin to me.

Now for the "REAL TREAT".

Robots In Surprise.... I mean Disguise. What a bunch of carape chop. The art wasn't bad... the story was simple.... Go steal something. It was just crap from start to finish really. Like the show. The only parts I liked was the artwork of Scourge. Thats all. The dialogue was horrible... I mean "ULTRA KICK" when it really doesn't look like Magnus kicked him. The writing was hard to read for this and "TSUNAMI BLASTER" and also Sky-Byte's little speech thing. It would have been good if they included Ruination in it and made the "Combaticons" combine into him but no they didn't. One massive failure and I hope to God that it doesn't make it onto the shelves.

Which evidently must mean that my choice for "NEXT SERIES" was:

Beast Wars: It would have been better if it were longer.That story itself without that ending could have been expanded a lot and made it something of a Prologue to Beast Machines. I'm not gonna say a lot about this, i've probably already bored you all I'll say was it was good to see the characters back again and I think its something that could be done well providing they keep Figueroa and don't let Lee or Ng spoil it. (btw how do you pronounce Ng is it Nn or nngu or whatever nevermind ;))

Well thats the Evil roundup. Now all I have to do is find G1 #4 then I will read #5. Now bring on Beast Wars! for the next series