How can someone graduate from college when they can't even spell it right?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

How can someone graduate from college when they can't even spell it right?

Post by Sir Auros »

There are just too many of my peers who're taking engineering or computer science or chemistry who still can't manage to spell simple words or, in some cases, even string together a sentence that makes sense.

Does this piss anyone else off too?

If you spell "college" as "collage," while you're in college, then you just shouldn't graduate...ever...
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

hehehe, c'mon man don't get pissed, it's bad for your health.
As for that... just figure this out... I'm in the last year of the High School; next year we're supposed to go to the college, and some of my classmates can't EVEN read a simple sentence correctly.
Now, THAT'S annoying.. and it kinda dissappoints anyone because you think: "What the hell for am I studying so hard if those ****ers are here with me without doing a single thing?"
Will you ever imagine from where you are, being a Mexican crossing the border? Thinking about your family while you pass, leaving everything you know behind.
Will you continue saying "good for nothing, beaners" if you ever had to begin from zero? -- From Molotov's song "Frijolero"
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Its called the dumbing down of American society as a whole. Pretty soon retards will be nuclear physicists.:rolleyes:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I can see it now. "I'm gonna play with the glowy green rods. Yaaaaaaayyyyy!"
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Its called the dumbing down of American society as a whole. Pretty soon retards will be nuclear physicists.:rolleyes:

That wont happen. The jock like people usually take **** anyway so it doesnt really matter.
Jetfire

Re: How can someone graduate from college when they can't even spell it right?

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
There are just too many of my peers who're taking engineering or computer science or chemistry who still can't manage to spell simple words or, in some cases, even string together a sentence that makes sense.

The chemistry case I understand. There is a sating "good scientist's can't spell". Its pretty true and there is some suggestion of evidence backing this up on a genetic scale among males in particular.

Elsewhere as an educationist you should know of the increasingly accepted work of Howard Gardner and his work explaining the 7 (now 9, I believe) Intelligence's?

http://www.ed.psu.edu/insys/ESD/gardner/menu.html
http://www.swopnet.com/ed/TAG/7_Intelligences.html

Some people don't have a learning style that's visual or Linguistic enough to be able simply spell to any adequate level.

We accept many people won't be great musician's so we must accpet that many will be hardly able to spell but brilliant elsewhere. Why should their talents not be judged in the context of their subject as opposed to being judged on 'written english'?
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

If you get 'collage' mixed up with 'college', you're going to be surrounded by the wrong kind of paperwork...

Is it some kind of dyslexia [I don't know if I spelt that right, sorry...] ? Like... selling your soul to Santa? Or lying awake agonising over whether there is a dog?
Garand

Post by Garand »

As someone who is believed to be a horrid speller, I must clarify that 10 times out of 9, it's not lousy spelling, but lousy typing. I once mistyped a varible name in a VB 6 program I was writing everytime i used it.. and the program still worked.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

I have a horrid time with spelling...I may be able to form wonderfully cohesive sentances but I'm a poor speller...oh damn...whatever will i do...

what's that?

Oh look...spell check...problem solved!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
Oh look...spell check...problem solved!

Why the f*ck are there so many dipsh*ts who can't even bother to do that?
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Why the f*ck are there so many dipsh*ts who can't even bother to do that?

ummmm...laziness?
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
We accept many people won't be great musician's so we must accpet that many will be hardly able to spell but brilliant elsewhere. Why should their talents not be judged in the context of their subject as opposed to being judged on 'written english'?

Well, okay. I'm not good spelling in english because it's not my language, and I'm also a fried potato in Math and physich and everything related to the sciences and right I'm not judged as an idiot because I can't do a simple ecuation without using a calculator or because I have a bad grammar in english.
But I'm good at the arts and philosophy and such, which is what matters.

I know everyone learns their own way, I learn by just listening and by reading a bit.
There's people that can learn just writting what they listen, or just reading, or just listening or even just watching.

I understand that noone is a god to know ALL, but still is a bit annoying when someone can't do something that is (Or we think it is) easy.

But what to do but get mad when they are not good at anything?
Will you ever imagine from where you are, being a Mexican crossing the border? Thinking about your family while you pass, leaving everything you know behind.
Will you continue saying "good for nothing, beaners" if you ever had to begin from zero? -- From Molotov's song "Frijolero"
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Hmm...that makes sense with the CS people...

Seriously, these are people learning a whole damn artificial language, you'd think they'd bother to work on the one they use to communicate with other humans. If only for the sake of their careers in business...
Garand

Post by Garand »

do you mean Computer Science people in general? Or just the ones who specialize in computer programming? Or just the ones who stand out by they're lack of sophistication?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Well, here all the CS people specialize in programming, so that's who I meant, but some engineers aren't much better...
Garand

Post by Garand »

teh nice thing about programming is that you can mispell teh varible numerous times. as long as teh keywords are spelled corretctly, it does not matter if you spell teh varible, as the misspelling becomes teh correct spelling and all is well until you correctly spell the varible, at which point teh compiler crashes.

I thought about ordering this shirt from computer gear
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Id classify myself as one of those "CS people" and Id say my writing skills are damn good. Of course, Im a perfectionist, so it MUST be good, else its not worth doing. Im like a human Borg, or something.
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

I agree with G91 on this one. I admit I am not Captain Spelling Bee, but when I do write for stuff off of the TFA, it is pretty easy to hit that little spell check button :)
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Halfshell

Re: Re: How can someone graduate from college when they can't even spell it right?

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
There is a sating "good scientist's can't spell".

The job of a linguist is be able to spell "logarithm"

The job of a mathematician is to be able to calculate it.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Hmmm.... I better start making some typos then, since I want to be a scientist....

Colors. Honor. Specialize.