G1 Cartoon Season 3 and 4 Review Archive

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Blackjack

G1 Cartoon Season 3 and 4 Review Archive

Post by Blackjack »

I have been here quite a while, and I was wondering why the G1 cartoon episode synopsis has halted in Season 3 pt 1 for quite a while. I have VCDs of (most of) season 3 and 4, and if I may I can do the reviews for you.

[edit]

Running checklist of episodes completed:
http://tfarchive.com/community/showpost ... stcount=45
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I think whoever was doing them (Spengs?)'s brain probably melted.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Halfshell wrote:I think whoever was doing them (Spengs?)'s brain probably melted.
Then he may now be the perfect reviewer for the cartoon.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

[proofed]

Nice one. Here're sample reviews for 'Carnage in C-Minor' and 'The Killing Jar'. I am not going to do it in order, or my brain will also go into meltdown.:) I am resisting the urge to just copy Transformers Wikia's summaries...

Carnage in C-Minor
Airdate: 14 October 1986
Written by: Buzz Dixon
Japanese Title: The Challenge of the Planet of Music

SYNOPSIS
Galvatron, Soundwave and the Constructicons attach a rocket to an asteroid, planning to send it on a collision course with Cybertron. A group of Autobots led by Ultra Magnus intercept, and a fight ensues. Broadside drops out of the sky in aircraft carrier mode to slam Devastator. The rocket is destroyed by a group of 'Autobots' (see Errors) but the comet still moves uncontrollably to a nearby planet, with the Autobots and Decepticons around it. Suddenly, a musical wave hits the asteroid and destroys it. The Autobots and Decepticons rumble on the planet, with Blaster and Soundwave commenting on the great harmonious melody.

Leaving the Constructicons to battle Perceptor and Hot Spot, Galvatron and Soundwave fly to the city. Ultra Magnus and Blaster hold on to Broadside as they also go to the city. In the city, apparently everything is based on melodies and songs, and the 'ultimate harmony' is created by Allegra, Basso Profundo and Zebop Scandana. (my, what weird names you have.) Allegra and Basso have a fight, and she leaves. Magnus' team arrives to warn Basso about the Decepticons, but Basso says anyone not satisfied with their culture can go like Allegra.

The Decepticons, spying on them, blast a bridge to bury the Autobots alive. Then they go to find Allegra on her isolated island retreat. The Autobots are revived by Basso and Zebop's combined melodies.

The Autobots race to rescue Allegra, but Allegra has been deceived into giving the Decepticons one third of the melody, which had been recorded by Soundwave. Allegra realises the Decepticons are evil but Galvy holds her prisoner. The Decepticons and the Autobots fight, but Soundwave's playback is too powerful for the Autobots. Zebop tries to use his part of the melody, but Soundwave records it and uses both recordings to bury the Autobots in a hole.

Galvatron prepares to kill Allegra, but Ultra Magnus and Broadside, rising from the crevice, stop him. Blaster fights Soundwave, but in the process Zebop is crushed by them. As the Decepticons retreat, Allegra heals Zebop.

Meanwhile, the Constructicons fight Superion and Defensor. As Galvatron and Soundwave arrives, Basso conveniently plays the third part, which knocks Defensor out. Soundwave records it and plays the whole harmony, defeating Perceptor and destroying part of the city. The Decepticons retreat, keen on killing Metroplex on Earth with the full harmony.

Magnus' team arrive, and makes things clear. The people heal Perceptor with music. Meanwhile Soundwave wreaks havoc on Metroplex with the melody. However, the Autobots, with Allegra, Zebop and Basso in tow, counterattack with anti-music, a.k.a. white noise. Blaster clashes with Soundwave, deleting the tape files in the process. The Decepticons retreat, and the Autobots teach the trio of aliens about harmony and all that stuff.

Featured Transformers: Galvatron, Soundwave, Bonecrusher, Ultra Magnus, Perceptor, Grimlock (one fleeting look), Devastator, Broadside, Brawn (see errors), Huffer (see errors), Bonecrusher, Blaster, Superion, Long Haul, Scrapper, Scavenger, Mixmaster, Hook, Hot Spot, Fireflight, Silverbolt, Skydive, Slingshot, Air Raid, Defensor, Groove, Scamper, Metroplex
Notable Others: Allegra, Basso and Zebop (first and only appearances for all three)

NOTES
This is Broadside's first proper appearance, although his jet mode has appeared at the strangest places in some previous episodes. He has two robot models in the cartoon, one is the more toy-accurate version with a visor, as seen in 'the Burden Hardest to Bear'. The model used in here is the other one (the one used in the comics), with a face. Perceptor can defeat Devastator with one shot, despite Superion/Defensor being unable to. This is probably the reason why Perceptor has transformed into Rambo in All Hail Megatron. Oh, trivia fans: the planet's name is Eurythman, according to TFWiki. I won't bother to edit everything.

ERRORS
Crap, where do I start? This episode is notorious for having the most errors, enough for a whole season. Okay, in the Autobot attack, Devastator is shown to be as tall as Soundwave. In the immediate next scene, the Constructicons were shown to combine to form Devastator. Broadside and Superion are shown to be the same height as the other Autobots for a scene when they should tower over them. The three Autobots that destroy the rockets are: Huffer, Brawn and Bonecrusher. Huffer and Brawn are dead by this point, Bonecrusher's... switched sides? This is made worse by Bonecrusher having an Autobot insignia a scene earlier. Also, music can travel in space. When the Autobots are shooting the meteor, they look like they all have one leg and big heads. Despite being 'outnumbered', the only Autobots that stay constant are only Magnus, Broadside, Blaster, Perceptor and Hot Spot. Others randomly change from Grimlock, Superion (who appears and disappears as the story progresses), Groove and Defensor (who appears, disappears and switches place with Superion, though Hot Spot's still there). During the second scene when Devastator was formed, the animation was so messed up that it appears seven Constructicons formed him. Defensor appears for a scene beside... Hot Spot! Hot Spot also appears with Magnus' and Perceptor's team at random intervals. Soundwave and later Broadside have sported purple Autobot insignias. Blaster mouths Broadside's dialogue in one scene, while at another scene, Magnus mouths Blaster's. The Aerialbots combine into Superion to fight Devastator. A couple of scenes later, Defensor and Superion are present. After that, Superion goes AWOL. he height comparison between Soundwave and Galvatron varies throughout. Broadside's height ain't that constant either. Soundwave points out that Zebop is standing in the distance, while Galvatron says that he probably is with the Autobots. Yet, Ultra Magnus is standing nearly next to him. Lesson: Ultra Magnus can't take cover and Galvatron needs spectacles. Blaster mouths Ultra Magnus' dialogue on one point. Soundwave is shown with both groups at the same time. Magnus is able to scoop two Constructicons with his hands and clonk their heads together. He is big, but ain't that big. Soundwave conveniently has an 'erase button' within reach of any Autobot. Apparently the safest way for a human, and the Autobots, to ride Broadside is to hang on to his wings, instead of riding in the cockpit, defying all laws of physics. Even though Zebop and Blaster should fit in Broadside's cockpit) At times they even look like they are not hanging on. In one scene a tiny Blaster is flying on Sondwave's shoulder. Broadside's cockpit has enough air supply for three humans/aliens from another planet to Earth. Also, despite the aliens/humans speaking in English, albeit in a sing-song manner, everyone bar Soundwave and Blaster couldn't understand anything. And that is without considering the crap plot involving harmonies and singing maniacs.

REVIEW
(One out of Ten)
Look at the errors section to see how I think of this episode. A crappy plot, an error-filled episode, singing dialogue... Despite having a promising start, with the nice action scenes it all goes waaaaay downhill when they touchdown at the planet with unprounceable name. The singing talking definitely makes me yearn for Wheelie's rhymes or Blurr's speedy talk more. The animators seem to mix up the character models, and the plot device (three parts of music) is crap. It's also very convenient, isn't it, for Soundwave to have an erase button within reach? The only redeeming quality is the scene where Broadside falls on Devastator. That is all.

The Killing Jar
Airdate: 15 September 1986
Written By:Michael Charles Hill & Joey Kurihara Piedra
Japanese Title: Four Captives

SYNOPSIS
A Quintesson scientist and his Allicon guard go on to kidnap several Transformers of interest. First on their list is Ultra Magnus. Fooling him by projecting a hologram of Sky Lynx on their ship, they lure Ultra Magnus to get on board. There Magnus is subjected to an experiment where he is betrayed by a hologram of Rodimus Prime. Next, the Quintessons go to Charr to kidnap Cyclonus, where he was succumbs to being betrayed by hologram Galvatron. The next target is Wreck-Gar, who is fooled by a (believe it or not) a hologram of a clown from a show he is watching. The Quintesson theorizes that Wreck-Gar will go offline when he sees that
there is no junk on his cell, but Wreck-Gar proves him wrong by tearing up his cell walls and making his own junk. The final target is Marissa Fairborne, who is subjected to being betrayed by a hologram of her father, who changes to a Quintesson-headed human.

The Quintesson introduces his prisoners to each other before starting his experiments and shows that it is futile to try to escape, beginning with Marissa. But Wreck-Gar launches his hand to switch off the ray holding Marissa. She takes out the scientist easily, and proceeds to try to free Ultra Magnus. Just as the Allicon tries to attack her, the ship flies into an electron storm, which wrecks havoc on everybody.

The two Quintessons run to the control room and steer clear of the storm. Magnus shorts out the energon bars and the four prisoners escape. Wreck-gar battles the Allicon while Marissa battles the Quintesson. Cyclonus battles Magnus over who gets the ship. However, a greater danger soon presents itself: a black hole, about to destroy the ship. The engines keep the ship in place, but the people on board fight over the remaining escape pod.

During the resulting skirmish, the pod was launched, with the six still trapped on board. Magnus is sucked out, but is pulled on board by Cyclonus, claiming 'warriors should meet their end in battle'.

A derelict ship is sucked into the black hole. Just as they debate again whether the engine would prevent them from being sucked in, the engine blows up and the ship is sucked in and transported into a negative dimension where everyone is turned different colours (Cyclonus is a nice shade of gold!). They repair the engine with donated parts, and enter the white hole on the correct trajectory.

They exit the black hole, to the place Sky Lynx and Astrotrain has arrived after receiving the distress signal. Predictably, the two space ships are fighting. Magnus and Cyclonus, respecting each other as warriors, are content to leave but they promise that the next time they meet it will be as enemies.

Featured Transformers: Allicon, Ultra Magnus, Sky Lynx (hologram and in present), Rodimus Prime (hologram), Cyclonus, Broadside (hologram; see errors), Galvatron (hologram), Wreck-Gar, Astrotrain
Notable Others: Quintesson Scientist, Marissa Fairborne, Flint (Hologram)

NOTES
Flint (Dashiell Fairborne) of G.I. Joe is apparently father of Marissa; both their surnames are Fairborne. This was confirmed to be the case, and Flint's voice actor was supposedly used in this episode. Cyclonus and Magnus respect each other as warriors. Wreck-Gar references many TV shows, as always. See TFWiki for a list. This is the first time "Alternate mode" is used in fiction, by the Quintesson to describe the Allicon.

ERRORS
The hologram of Rodimus Prime is miscoloured as Hot Rod, doesn't have the wings and the Autobrand is in the wrong place. Maybe because it's a fake? The Quintesson lure Cyclonus with a hologram of... Broadside. Even has the correct voice actor. How stupid are both Cyclonus and the Quintesson? Why doesn't Magnus think of short-circuiting the energon bars earlier? He was the first to be captured, and must have plenty of spare time while the ship travels to Charr, Junk and Earth. Wreck-Gar has two hands for a short time after he shoots one of. During the time when the Quintesson prepares to leave in the escape pod, the escape pod is missing. In the alternate universe, when the Quintesson explains their predicament, Cyclonus' lips are moving. The colour of negative universe Magnus' face jumps around. The Allicons' right forearm disappears right before the scene in which Marissa removes it. Cyclonus apparently needs an escape pod to escape, although he turns into a freakin' space ship himself.

REVIEW
With a small cast of three transformers, one human and the two Quintessons, this episode gives plenty of characterisation for them, particularly Magnus and Cyclonus, the centerpieces of the episode. The two of them have been pushed aside by the others for quite some time now, and it's nice to see them shine. However, the black hole plot was stupid and felt redundant, as they escape in less than two minutes. There are not even some random badly-drawn aliens for them to fight! All that happened in the AU is that they change colour. Come on! I mean, they could just get sucked into the negative universe, with evil Autobots and all, and fight their way out, and Magnus and Cyclonus can STILL recognise each other as warriors. What a wasted opportunity. Still, it's a great piece for the characters spotlighted in the episode. Namely, Magnus, Cyclonus, Wreck-Gar and to some extent Marissa. Even though I hate Marissa.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's good quality stuff and we'd be very interested. Could you (or Clay, or Ziggy, or someone with a site-related role) coordinate this with Spengs so that it doesn't end up being people working offline covering the same material? I have go do assignments and/or die, and after another three weeks of this I'm in another country for a further ~month. Normalcy will resume after that, probably.
inflatable dalek

Unless someojne pops up in here to say they've already done it I'll shoot Spengs a PM to start the ball rolling in the mourning when i aint so tired.

Assuming Spengs does want to finish the G1 guide in its entirety there's still more TF cartoons than any one [sane] reviewer can handle, so if you have the sources and the desire we can almost certainly use your help on something.

EDIT @ Denyer: Which Bond book is that a quote from then? Tis bugging me cause I should know it having only read them last month...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The first one I think; I haven't had chance to pick up books much, I'm currently on Diamonds Are Forever and it'll probably stay stalled that way for the next few weeks at this rate...

Blackjack, having skimmed more closely it really needs running through spelling and grammar checkers -- you've got things like "Ultra Magnus dispatches of two Constructicons" [is this "two of the"?], "Galvatron and Soundwave flies to the city", "I never knew bunny-ears can be such a fun character", "Magnus' team arrives to warn Basso about the Decepticons, but Basso said anyone not satisfied can go like Allegra.", "The people heals Perceptor with music", etc. Is English your first language? The flitting between tenses within sentences and the formation of plurals would make me guess you're used to different grammar rules... it's not a problem if you can grab someone to proof-read things.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

If you need a volunteer, I'd be happy to proof and correct some stuff on a trial basis. Can't guarantee 100% accuracy, but I'd give it a shot if it'd be helpful in any way. And if someone else wants it or if my nose is somewhere it doesn't belong, let me know.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

:p Wrote those in a hurry, so I didn't exactly run it through the grammar checker.
inflatable dalek

Denyer wrote:The first one I think; I haven't had chance to pick up books much, I'm currently on Diamonds Are Forever and it'll probably stay stalled that way for the next few weeks at this rate...
Ah yes, it's when he's recovering from the Bulgarians exploding at him isn't it? Shame that bit wasn't in (any of) the film(s). Cinema needs more exploding Bulgarians.

I've spoke to Spengs, he feels to spread thin with other things he's doing to be able to focus on the G1 reviews for the foreseeable future and so is happy for them to be taken over by a new pair of hands as long as they use the same review format.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

So I can review the other episodes, yes?:D:D If so... might I suggest moving this thread to someplace else?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm, toy reviews needs a separate forum, and there's a separate workspace for the RPG, may as well have one for comics/cartoons and whatever else.

Anyone who's up for proofing is most welcome.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

[Proofed]

Webworld
Airdate: 20 October 20 1986
Written By: Len Wein and Diane Duane
Japanese Title: “The Planet of the Web”

SYNOPSIS
Galvatron leads Cyclonus, Soundwave, Scourge and the Sweeps to an asteroid belt, searching for a material known as isodrite. As Galvatron monologues about crushing his enemies, his insanity became more apparent. Soundwave ejects Ratbat, who finds Autobots mining the isodrite. A battle ensues, during which Galvatron, in insanity, beats up his own troops. To sum it up in the words of Perceptor: “Remarkable. Galvatron is doing most of the work for us.” The Autobots make a clean getaway aboard Sky Lynx.

Back on Chaar, Motormaster and Swindle (and apparently Laserbeak as well), complain to Cyclonus, asking him to do something about Galvatron's madness, or they will think of choosing a new leader. As Cyclonus ponders what to do, a hologram of a Quintesson appears, and advises him that there are places which specialize in repairing damaged minds, such as the planet Torkulon. Cyclonus naively believes the Quintesson, and begins making plans to make Galvy to go to Torkulon. Meanwhile, the Quintessons discuss among themselves that they would not have to deal with the most unpredictable of the transformers.

Cyclonus informs Galvatron that the Autobots are resting on Torkulon after their recent battle. Predictably, Galvatron orders an assault on Torkulon, accompanied with Cyclonus, Scourge and a couple of Sweeps. Upon landing, Galvatron threatens several aliens caged in webs, demanding that they tell him where Ultra Magnus is. The aliens answer with insane replies. “Mommy!”, “I have no head.” etc. The Torkulons, monkey-like beings, arrive shortly. When Galvatron refuses their orders to restrain himself, they restrain him. Galvatron quickly realises Cyclonus has fooled him. Galvatron is carried away to begin his therapy, while Cyclonus fills out paperwork. (and proceeds to rip it up. Jerk.)

As the therapy proceeds, Scourge protests but Cyclonus tells him to give it a chance. The Torkulons are unsuccessful in trying to get Galvatron to talk about his problems, since he answers with “Kill… Smash… Destroy! Rend… Mangle… Distort!” Then they try to get Galvatron to rebuild his scarred psyche by building things. Predictably, he builds a gun and blasts the Torkulon. Finally they attempt "exo-drama" where patients act out their problems. A bouncing alien shrieking at Galvatron finally causes him to snap, as he shouts "I'll give you something to scream about!!" Galvatron becomes immune to the Torkulons’ restraints. The Torkulons use more webbing on him and use their last resort, the Alya solution.

The therapists reveal that Torkulon is a living planet, and can manifest itself in the form of insectoids that consume the damaged and crazed parts of an unrepairable psyche. This treatment, however, will in effect leave Galvatron mindless. Cyclonus and Scourge protest and demand Galvatron's release, but they are also restrained by the Torkulons.

The Alya begin to feed on Galvatron's mind. Cyclonus and Scourge also protest at their leader’s torture, but suddenly something goes wrong. Galvatron’s insanity proves too much for the planet, and causes it to malfunction. In the chaos, the Decepticons are freed from the planet's grasp. After beating up Cyclonus a little for getting him in this mess, Galvatron blasts his way to the ‘centre of the planet’, having seen its mind while it was inside his. The planet’s attempts to restrain him are futile as Galvatron blasts his way through to its living-computer core. Several cannon mode blasts render the entire planet inoperable. Galvatron says he will now destroy whatever is left, and warns Cyclonus against stopping him.

After the planet and the therapists are “devastated with precision and care”, Galvatron gloats over its beauty, seeming to be just a little more sane. At least until Cyclonus informs Galvatron that it will take the Torkulons centuries to rebuild. Galvatron decides his work of destruction isn't done if it's going to take only centuries, but the weary Cyclonus suggests that the Autobots are a bigger threat. Galvatron remembers Ultra Magnus and the Decepticons leave the planet in search of the Autobots.

Featured Transformers: Galvatron, Soundwave, Cyclonus, Scourge, Sweeps, Ratbat, Perceptor, Springer, Ultra Magnus, Sludge, Sky Lynx, Swindle, Motormaster, Laserbeak
Notable others:
Quintessons, assorted aliens, the Torkulons (first and only appearance)

NOTES
This is Laserbeak's final appearance in the G1 cartoon. Walking, no less. The tests done on Torkulon are parodies of actual psychological methods. (Although as far as I know Earthen psychologists don't use giant bugs or webs) Galvatron says, "You can't change me! I am GALVATRON!", to which the alien replies, "that's the problem, you're already changed." This refers to either Megatron changing into Galvatron or the plasma bath at 'Five Faces of Darkness', depending on your preference.

ERRORS
Soundwave speaks without the monotone sound effect, so he's Dr Claw for the entire episode. After arriving in the battlefield Soundwave promptly disappears. During the battle the Decepticons' and Autobots' laser colours are switched. Swindle appears among the retreating Decepticons despite not being there . Cyclonus has an Autobot insignia on him at one point. The relative number of Sweeps at Torkulon changes from only Scourge to up to three Sweeps along with him.

REVIEW
(Nine out of Ten)
One of my favourite episodes of Season 3. For one, it focuses on the villains. Hey, I am a sucker for Decepticons. The Autobot/Decepticon battle is only an excuse for Galvatron to display more insanity and for the Autobots to say some good lines. Cyclonus and Galvatron are well-defined, Galvatron's insanity is apparent, and Cyc's concern for Galvy (as well as his naiviety) is well executed. Scourge's less trusting nature is a nice contrast to Cyclonus' single-mindedness as well. Motormaster and Swindle are good choices for those not satisfied with Galvatron's rule. The scenes in Torkulon are funny, yet there is brutality. Everybody, even the physicians, deliver memorable lines. Webworld confirms that Galvy and Megs are two different characters (Galvy loves to go BWAAAAAA for one thing). It seems that in the end of the episode Galvy nearly kills everybody, a rare situation in the G1 episodes. This excellent episode is a wonderful spotlight for Galvatron and Cyclonus. Was it any wonder that it's one of the 25 Greatest Moments in Transformer History? The animation is great, the plot engaging...
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So, what's the best way to submit proofs? I went through adding bold and strikeout in MS Word, then realized that it's not going to copy well here. I can save it as an HTML and post the code, but there's a lot of extra formatting that doesn't sit well with the board.
Any suggestions?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hopefully someone who doesn't still use Dreamweaver 4 will be in soon, but IIRC the site uses the same code as the board - i.e. if you put the formatting in your post, they can half-inch the formatting wholesale.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

That's the trouble: I just copied the stuff to a Word file, did the formatting/editing there, then realized it's a bear to get it back to the board. I think I can probably weed out most of the spare formatting code without too much trouble, but is there a better way to do it in the future? I'll try posting what I have in a couple minutes here.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Airdate: October 20, 1986
Japanese Title: “The Planet of the Web”
Writen By: Len Wein and Diane Duane

SYNOPSIS
Galvatron leads Cyclonus, Soundwave, Scourge and the Sweeps to an asteroid
belt, searching for a material known as isodrite. As Galvatron monologues about
crushing his enemies, his insanity apparent, Soundwave ejects Ratbat, who finds
Autobots mining the Isodrite. A battle ensues, during which Galvatron, in
insanity, beats up his own troops. To sum it up in the words of Perceptor: “Remarkable.
Galvatron is doing most of the work for us.” The Autobots make a clean getaway
aboard Sky Lynx.

Back on Chaar, Motormaster, Swindle and apparently Laserbeak, complain to
Cyclonus, asking him to do something about Galvatron's madness, or they will
think of hacing (?) a new leader. As Cyclonus ponders what to do,
a hologram of a Quintesson appears, and advises him that there are places which
specialize in repairing damaged minds, such as the planet Torkulon. Cyclonus
naively believes the Quintesson, and begin begins making
plans to make Galvy to go to Torkulon. The Quintessons discuss among themselves
that “shortly we will have several less Transformers to deal with -- including
the most dangerously unpredictable of them all."

Cyclonus informs Galvatron that the Autobots are resting on Torkulon after
their recent battle. Predictably, Galvatron orders an assault on Torkulon,
accompanied with Cyclonus, Scourge and a couple of Sweeps. (see Errors). Upon
landing, Galvatron threatens several aliens caged in webs, demanding that they
tell him where Ultra Magnus is. The aliens answer with wierd weird
replies. “Mommy!”, “I have no head.” Etc. etc. The
Torkulons, monkey-like beings, arrive shortly. When Galvatron refuses their
orders to restrain himself, they restrain him. Galvatron quickly realizes
Cyclonus has fooled him. Galvatron is carried away to begin his therapy, while
Cyclonus fills out paperwork (and proceeds to rip it up. Jerk.).

As the therapy proceeds, Scourge disagrees(protests? objects?)
but Cyclonus tells him to give it a chance. The Torkulons are unsuccessful in
trying to get Galvatron to talk about his problems, where(since)
he answers with “Kill… Smash… Destroy! Rend… Mangle… Distort!” Then they try to
get Galvatron to rebuild his scarred psyche by building things. Predictably, he
builds a gun and blasts around. Finally they attempt "exo-drama"
where patients act out their problems. A bouncing alien shrieking at Galvatron
finally causes him to snap, who shouts (as he shouts,)
"I'll give you something to scream about!!" Galvatron becomes immune
to the Torkulons’ restraints. The Torkulons use more webbing on him and use
their last resort, the Alya solution.

The therapists reveal that Torkulon is a living planet, and can manifest itself
in the form of insectoids that consume the damaged and crazed parts of an
unrepairable psyche, but in effect leaving Galvatron mindless.
(This treatment, however, would in effect leave Galvatron mindless.)

Cyclonus protests and demands Galvatron's release, but he and Scourge are also
restrained by the Torkulons.

The Alya begin to feed on (?). Cyclonus and Scourge also protest
at their leader’s torture, but suddenly something goes wrong. Galvatron’s
insanity proves too much for the planet, and causes it to malfunction. In the
chaos, the Decepticons are freed from the planet's grasp. After beating up
Cyclonus a little for getting him in this mess, Galvatron blasts his way to the
‘center of the planet’, having seen its mind while it was inside his. The
planet’s attempts to restrain him are futile as Galvatron blasts his way
through to its living-computer core. Several cannon mode blasts render the
entire planet inoperable. Galvatron says he will now destroy whatever is left,
and warns Cyclonus against stopping him.

After the planet and the therapists are “devastated with precision and care”,
Galvatron gloats over its beauty, seeming to be just a little more sane. At
least until Cyclonus informs Galvatron that it will take the Torkulons
centuries to rebuild. Galvatron decides his work of destruction isn't done if
it's going to take only centuries, but the weary Cyclonus suggests that the
Autobots are a bigger threat. Galvatron remembers Ultra Magnus and the
Decepticons leave the planet.

TRANSFORMERS FEATURED
Galvatron, Soundwave, Cyclonus, Scourge, Sweeps, Ratbat, Perceptor, Springer,
Ultra Magnus, Sludge, Sky Lynx, Swindle, Motormaster, Laserbeak

NOTABLE OTHERS
Quintessons, the Torkulons

NOTES
This is Laserbeak's final appearance in the G1 cartoon. Strangely he was among
the Decepticons protesting to Cyclonus, walking, no less. The tests done on
Torkulon are parodies of actual psychological methods. (No, earthen
psychologists don't use giant bugs or webs). Sludge has one of
the funniest lines: "Uhh...Dumb Sweep." Like he ain't dumb. Galvatron
says "You can't change me! I am GALVATRON!", to which the alien says,
"that's the problem, you're already changed." This refers to either
Megatron changing into Galvatron or the plasma bath at 'Five Faces of
Darkness'. Go figure.

ERRORS

Soundwave speaks without the monotome (monotone) sound
effect. One of the Sweeps is coloured as Swindle at one point. Cyclonus is a
fool; he trusts the Quintesson despite being betrayed more than once. The
relative number of Sweeps at Torkulon changes from only Scourge to two Sweeps.

REVIEW
One of my favourite episodes of Season 3. For one, it focuses on the villains.
Hey, I am a sucker for Decepticons. Cyclonus and Galvatron are well-defined,
Galvatron's insanity is apparent, and Cyc's concern for Galvy (as well as his
naiviety) is well executed. The errors inside are not too noticeable.
Everybody, even the physicatrians (psychiatrists?* Physicians?),
deliver memorable lines. Webworld confirms that Galvy and Megs are two
different characters. It seems that in the end of the episode Galvy nearly
kills everybody, a rare situation in the G1 episodes. The animation is great,
the plot engaging... A must-see. [/p]

[p class=MsoNormal]__________________[/p]

[p class=MsoNormal]"Carnage in C-Minor" 1/10

SYNOPSIS
Galvatron, Soundwave and the Constructicons attach a rocket to an asteroid,
planning to send it on a colission (collision) course to (with)
Cybertron. A group of Autobots led by Ultra Magnus intercept, and a fight
ensues. Broadside drops out of the sky in aircraft carrier mode to slam
Devastator. The rocket is destroyed by a group of 'Autobots' (see Errors) but
the comet still moves uncontrolably (uncontrollably)to a
nearby planet, with the Autobots and Decepticons around it. Suddenly, a musical
wave hits the asteroid and destroys it. The Autobots and Decepticons rumble on
the planet, with Blaster and Soundwave commenting on the great harmonious
melody.

Leaving the Constructicons to battle Perceptor and Hot Spot, Galvatron and
Soundwave fly to the city. Ultra Magnus and Blaster holds (hold)
on to Broadside as they also go to the city. In the city, apparently everything
is based on melodies and songs, and the 'ultimate harmony' is created by
Allegra, Basso Profundo and Zebop Scandana. (my what wierd(weird)
names you have.) Allegra and Basso have a fight, and she leaves. Magnus' team
arrives to warn Basso about the Decepticons, but Basso says anyone not
satisfied can go like Allegra.

The Decepticons, spying on them, blast a bridge to bury our heroes alive. Then
they go to find Allegra on her isolated retreat. The Autobots are revived by
Basso and Zebop's melody.

They (The Autobots?) race to rescue Allegra, but Allegra had
(has) been deceived into giving (the Decepticons) one
third of the melody, recorded by Soundwave. Allegra realises the Decepticons
are evil but Galvy holds her prisoner. They face against the Autobots, but
the three are defeated by Soundwave's playback.
(The Decepticons and
Autobots fight, but Soundwave’s playback is too powerful for the Autobots.)

Zebop tries to use his part of the melody, but is recorded by Soundwave.
Soundwave
(but Soundwave records it and) uses both recordings
to bury the Autobots in a hole.

Galvatron prepares to kill Allegra, but is stopped by Ultra Magnus and
Broadside, rising from the crevice
(Ultra Magnus and Broadside,
rising from the crevice, stop him)
. Blaster fights Soundwave, but in
the process Zebop is crushed by them. As the Decepticons retreat,
Allegra heals Zebop.

Meanwhile, the constructicons fight Superion, and Defensor. As Galvatron and
Soundwave arrives (arrive), Basso conveniently plays the
third part, which knocks Defensor into submission. Soundwave records it and
plays the whole harmony, defeating Perceptor and destroying part of the city.
The Decepticons retreat, keen on killing Metroplex.

Magnus' team arrives, and makes things clear. The people heal Perceptor with
music. Meanwhile Soundwave wreaks havoc on Metroplex with the melody. However,
the Autobots, with Allegra and co. in tow, counterattack with anti-music, white
noise. Blaster clashes with Soundwave, deleting the tape files in the process.
The Decepticons retreat, and the Autobots teach the humans about harmony and
blah blah blah.

TRANSFORMERS FEATURED
Galvatron, Soundwave, Bonecrusher, Ultra Magnus, Perceptor, Grimlock(one
fleeting look), Devastator, Broadride, Brawn (wha?), Huffer (huh?), Blaster,
Superion, Long Haul, Scrapper, Scavenger, Mixmaster, Hook, Hot Spot,
Fireflight, Silverbolt, Skydive, Slingshot, Air Raid, Defensor, Groove,
Scamper, Metroplex

NOTABLE OTHERS
Allegra, Basso and Zebop (first and only appearance. Thank goodness.)

NOTES
This is Broadside's first appearance, although his jet mode has appeared at the
strangest places in previous episodes. He has two robot models, one is the
'winged' (“winged”) and with a visor like the toy, (as)seen
in 'the burden hardest to bear' (“The Burden Hardest to Bear”).
The model used in here is the other one, with a face.

ERRORS
Crap, where do I start? This episode is notorious for having the most errors,
enough for a whole season. Okay, in the Autobot attack, Devastator is shown to
be as tall as Soundwave, then (in) the next scene(,)
the constructicons combine to form Devastator. Huh? Broadside and Superion are
shown to be the same height with (as) the other Autobots
for a scene. When the Autobots were (are) shooting the
meteor, they (all) look like they have one leg and big heads.
Despite being 'outnumbered', the (only) Autobots that stay
constant are only Magnus, Broadside, Blaster, Perceptor and Hot Spot.
Others randomly change from (amid) Grimlock, Superion (who
appears and disappears as the story progresses), Groove and Defensor (who
appears and disappears, though Hot Spot's still there). The three Autobots that
destroy the rockets are: Huffer, Brawn and Bonecrusher. Huffer and Brawn are
dead, Bonecrusher's... switched sides? Might be a 'cameo' by E-Hobby exclusive
Autobot Constructicon Load Hauler. Defensor appears for a scene beside... Hot
Spot! The height comparison between Soundwave and Galvy varies throughout.
Broadside's height ain't that accurate either. Soundwave points out that Zebop
is standing in the distance, while Galvatron says that he probably is with the
Autobots. Yet, Ultra Magnus is standing nearly next to him. Lesson: Ultra
Magnus can't take cover and Galvatron needs spectacles. Blaster mouths Ultra
Magnus' dialogue on one point. Soundwave is shown with Galvatron and the
Constructicons at the same time. Wow. Apparently a single blast from Perceptor,
the nerd, is enough to disassemble Devastator. The shame, the shame. On the
planet, Ultra Magnus dispatches of two of the Constructicons by SCOOPING THEM
UP WITH HIS HANDS. He is big, but ain't that big. Soundwave conviniently
(conveniently) has an 'erase button' within reach of any Autobot.
Apparently the safest way for a human, and the Autobots, to ride Broadside is
to hang on to his wings, instead of riding in the cockpit. At times they even
look like they are not hanging on. At (In) one scene a
tiny Blaster is flying on Sondwave's shoulder. That is without considering the
crap plot involving harmonies and singing maniacs.

OVERALL
Look at the errors section to see how I think of this episode. A crappy plot,
an error-filled episode, singing dialogue... Despite having a promising start,
with Broadside's debut, Soundwave vs Blaster round 3, and many combiners, it
all goes waaaaay downhill when they touchdown at the planet with unpronouncable
(unpronounceable) name. The singing talking definitely makes me
appreciate Wheelie's rhymes, Blurr's hyperspeed and Wreck-Gar's radio talk
more. Regardless, it is interesting to see that only Sounds and Blaster enjoy
the music. Definitely the worst Season 3 episode. Oh, and the planet's name is
Eurythman, according to Wikipedia. I won't bother to edit everything.

SYNOPSIS
A Quintesson scientist and his Allicon guard go on to kidnap several
Transformers of interest. First on their target (First on their
list/Their first target)
is Ultra Magnus. Fooling him by projecting a
hologram of Sky Lynx on their ship, Ultra Magnus gets on board and (they
lure him onboard.* There Ultra Magnus)
is subjected to an experiment of
being
(where he is) betrayed by a hologram of Rodimus Prime.
Next, the Quintesson go (goes) to Charr to kidnap
Cyclonus, where he was succumb (succumbs) to being
betrayed by hologram Galvatron. The next target is Wreck-Gar, where the
Quintesson fooled him
(who is fooled) with a hologram of
(believe it or not) a clown from a show he is watching. The Quintesson theorizises
(theorizes) that Wreck-Gar will go offline when he sees that
there is no junk on his cell, but Wreck-Gar proves him wrong by tearing up his
cell walls and using them as junk. Their (The) final
target is Marissa Fairborn, where she was (who is) subjected
to being betrayed by his (her) 'father', who changes to an
alien.

The Quintesson introduces his prisoners to each other before, and shows that
it is futile to escape, starting his experiments
(starting his
experiments and shows that it is futile to try to escape)
, beginning
with Marissa. But Wreck Gar (Wreck-Gar) launches his hand
to switch off the submission ray holding Marissa. She takes out the scientist,
and proceeds to try to free Ultra Magnus. Just as the Allicon try (tries)
to attack her, the ship flies into an electron storm, which wrecks havoc on
everybody.

The two Quintessons runs (run) to the control room and steers
(steer) clear of the storm. Magnus shorts out the energon bars
and the four escapes (prisoners escape). wreck-gar
battles the Allicon while Marissa battles the Quintesson. Cyclonus battles
Magnus over who gets the ship. However, a greater danger soon presents itself:
a black hole, about to suck the ship (is about to destroy the
ship/suck the ship in
. The engines keep the ship in place, but the
people on board fight over the remaining escape pod.

After a skirmish, the pod launches empty, with the six still trapped on board.
Magnus is sucked out, but is pulled on board by Cyclonus, claiming 'warriors
should meet their end in battle'.

A derelict ship is sucked into the black hole. Just as they debate when they
will be sucked in, the engine blew (blows) up and the ship
is sucked in and transported into an (a) negative
dimension where everyone is turned different colours (Cyclonus is a nice shade
of gold!). They repair the engine with donated parts, and entered (enter)
the whitd (white)hole on the correct trajectory.

They went out of (exit) the black hole, (to
the place)
where Sky Lynx and Astrotrain has (have)
arrived after receiving the distress signal. Magnus and Cyclonus, respecting
each other as warriors, promise that the next time they meet it will be as
enemies.

TRANSFORMERS FEATURED
Allicon, Ultra Magnus, Sky Lynx (hologram and in flesh), Rodimus Prime
(hologram), Cyclonus, Broadside (see errors), Galvatron (hologram), Wreck-Gar,
Astrotrain

NOTABLE OTHERS
Quintesson Scientist, Marissa Fairborn, Flint (Hologram)

ERRORS
The Quintessons pick (lure) Cyclonus with a hologram of...
Broadside. How stupid is (are both) Cyclonus and the
Quintesson? Why doesn't Magnus think of short-circuiting the energon bars
earlier? He must have plenty of time while the ship travels to Charr, Goo/Junk
and Earth. Wreck-Gar has two hands for a short time before he repleces (replaces)
his hand (after saving Marissa?). On (In) the
alternate universe, when the Quintesson explains their predicament, Cyclonus'
lips are moving. Cyclonus apparently needs an escape pod to escape. He turns
into a freakin' space ship, for Primus' sake.

NOTES
Flint of G.I. Joe is apparently father of Marissa; both their surnames are
Fairborn. But I haven't watched G.I. Joe, and I don't know whether the holo-guy
is Flint. Cyclonus and Magnus respects (respect) each
other as warriors. They are sucked into a black hole and escape in less than a
minute, while they stress before 'We will be witness to our destruction.' and
such. How convenient.

REVIEW
With a small cast of three transformers and the two Quintessons, this episode
gives plenty of characterization for them, particulary (particularly)Magnus
and Cyclonus, the centerpiece of the episode. I never knew bunny-ears could be
such a fun character. This is completely ruined by including Marissa. I hate
her for some reason, not the least of (which is) her having a wierd
(weird) voice, and (. )I would prefer
(have preferred) that it were Daniel or Spike that had been
kidnapped. Heck, bring Wheelie in, just not Marissa. Regardless, the conclusion
comes too neat(ly), and the notion of an alternate universe is
wasted. All that happened in the AU is that they change colour. Come on! I
mean, they could just get sucked into the negative universe, with evil Autobots
and all, and fight their way out, and Magnus and Cyclonus can STILL recognize
each other as warriors. What a wasted opportunity.[/p]
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

OK, so minus a little garbage text here and there, that seems to have worked. Apologies for the triple post.
Feedback on the feedback is appreciated. Let me know if some of it is too nitpicky, the formatting is obnoxious, or I "corrected" something that is correct already in Queen's English. :)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

:up::up::up::)Thanks a lot, Notabot. You're a big help. I'm going to finish ironing out the mistakes in a coupla minutes.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Yay! The edits are done, finally!:clap::clap::clap: