[RID,UT] Issue #2 Review *Spoilers*

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blitzwing

Issue #2 Review *Spoilers*

Post by Blitzwing »

Issue starts off with Prime and the Autobots looking for Minicon survivors at Village C-52, but with no luck. Prime and Hot Shot are there along with Red Alert, Scavenger and Smokescreen who make their comic debut. The three new Autobots' personalities are revealed very well. Red Alert is the tech-head, Scavenger is the sympathetic one and Smokescreen is the tough guy. The close ups look great, but some of the background character shots look a little rushed.

Next we cut to the Decepticons entering Cyber City. The droid that Hot Shot ran over in issue #1 has been repaired, but his ressurection doesn't last long as Megatron flicks him away casually. Megatron declare's himself the new leader of Cybertron and dares anyone who objects to try and stop him. So far Starscream, Cyclonus and Demolisher are just his lackeys and say very little. Starscream is only shown in one shot, and he's not even smirking, but the way his eyes are shaped just oozes of treachury.

The story then goes to Sparkplug being revived. We see his point of view... first just static and snow, then fuzzy images begin to appear until we can see that he's being waken up by the Minicon Air Defence team. Runaway, Sonar and Jetstorm are very likable characters... Runaway seems to be the leader of the bunch. The Air Defence team are the only Minicons to ever escape the Decepticons, and they show Sparkplug their base and tell him of their plans to free all the Minicons. The shading in this scene is done very well, and there is a shot of the Minicon ship that is breath taking.

We go back to Cyber City, where Optimus and Co. arrive on the scene and attack the Decepticons. The Decepticons attach Minicons to themselves and take the advantage in the fight. There's a shot of a group of Cybertronian Civilians behind the Autobots. No real G1 cameos, but there is a bot that looks like Perceptor minus the shoulder cannon, if you stretch your imagination.

Next we get a shot of the Decepticons Base. There's a great shot of it with a Decepticon symbol holigram outside the base. The Air Defence Team tell Sparkplug that he's their decoy. He's strapped to a jet pack and sent flying out of control, while the Decepticon defences concentrate on him, the jets get into the base. The scene is very funny, especially with the well placed *EEP!* bubble put in the middle, and the look on Sparkplug's face is classic.

Back to Cyber City where the Autobots are getting their butts handed to them. Optimus and Co. decide to retreat before they are whipped out. Megatron is very pleased with the power the Mincons add, but his celebration is cut short when Starscream informs him that the Minicons have escaped. There's a close-up of Optimus' head and you can see the battle damage on it as opposed to Megatron who looks like he just stepped off the assembly line.

The final page shows the Minicon Ship flying away and the Minicons inside rejoicing in their freedom. The last pannel shows one of the Ship's engine's exploding, meaning they will probably crash land somewhere (IE: Earth). Volt, Longarm, Injector and the Street Action Team can be seen in the ship along with Sparkplug and the Air Defence Team. There's also a Minicon far back in the shadows that looks like he could be Rollbar. I'm hoping that he is because Rollbar was my favorite Minicon from Issue #1.

Opposite the last page is a shot of the Transformers: Armada Issue #3 cover. The Sub-Title says "You Can Run. But You Can't Hide." The Sub-Title is very classy, it really makes me anxious about getting my hands on Issue #3. The Detailing on Starscream on the cover is amazing.

I give the issue a 10/10 for plot and dialogue and an 8.5/10 for art.
Definately one of the best individual comics that Dreamwave has put out yet and is a great compliment to issue #1.
LigerZero
Protoform

Post by LigerZero »

This makes me wish that there were some comic stores in the area I live in. I haven't been able to get any of the Dreamwave TF comics. :(
THE WIND, THE CLOUD, AND THE ADVENTURE....

Check out my EBay Auction The Constructicons set of Knock Offs.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Several websites sell them. Avoid Seibertron though.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Scavenger and Smokescreen were already in issue one....

I hope my local comic has the comic tomorrow, their shipment was supposed to arrive today....
Claypool
Protoform

Post by Claypool »

Originally posted by Kickback
Scavenger and Smokescreen were already in issue one....
where?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I was left wanting more. 23 pages is too short for sucha fine comic. :(
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Originally posted by Claypool
where?
At the entrance of the Autobot building, you can see them when Hot Shot enters the building....

Got issue 2 today myself, really good. Much better than the 4 G1 issues combined (even Devastator appearing in it doesn't make it as good as Armada ;))
Omega_Scourge
Protoform

Post by Omega_Scourge »

I don't think they are going to crash on earth yet. That would leave them several issues, with no minicon transformer interaction. I think that they will be shot down. In the cartoon it stated that the autobots and Cons sent them away on the ship it didn't mention them escaping. Of course this could just mean there are 2 diffrent timelines which I don't think would suprise any of us. But as I understand the comic it should end where the cartoon starts, which kind of backs up all of my thoughts here. Or I could be completely of my rocker and rambling nonsince but whatever.
dead robot
Protoform

Post by dead robot »

... the minicon ship was already malfunctioning in the end...
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
Several websites sell them. Avoid Seibertron though.

The store is closed down right now because of all that BS going down. BTW, I'm still waiting for my stuff. Never again, will I order from Seibertron.