Danish newspaper prints Mohammed cartoons; fundamentalists fire back

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Nevermore

Danish newspaper prints Mohammed cartoons; fundamentalists fire back

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Man, I soooo want to photoshop a picture of Mohammed right now...
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

It'll be interesting to see how the muslims and those countries that allow those cartoons can settle their differences. Obviously the cartoons offend those who worship Mohammed but this is about freedom of speech so it's a big issue about rights of the press.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

:rolleyes: I can't really see how they didn't think this is the reaction they would get. I'm all for freedom of speech, but this is very offensive and I don't think this could have any other intention than to offend people.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

The newspaper did print those with a purpose, and this was it.

The French and other also appearently reprinted to get the same reaction and for spite mot likely.

As to me? I don't really care anyway. I know its bad, but it doesn't effect me. If the Dansh Christan Fudies want to print this go ahead.

However I wonder what would happen when in my fictional newspaper I print a Neo-Nazi cartoon which makes fun of the holocaust and the Jews. Would the european appologizer get thier panties in a bunch and ban me? I guess Austria and Germany would do it off the bat while the others will follow suit or at least condem me.

Meh, its a two sided coin in which the Europeans see only one side of it.

Edit:

Well the Danish dariy is feeling the pinch. 125 workers will be laid off and appearently sales have pulpited to 0. At least Muslims can do something economically. Lets see how long it takes to see the Danish enconomy bust. I don't they have any products in Canada right now, and I guess they are too small a country to be a big powerhouse to survive alone. I wonder if those people laid off will be happy with the newspaper.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Aside from blowing up other terrorists, the Jews haven't exactly been involved in a lot of violent activity lately, so it wouldn't be quite the same.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Your right, but would they ban the newspaper? I mean Germany is tight-lipped about the Holocaust and all but would the Jewish community and the eurpoean community do the same, ala economic boycots and the lot? I guess they would.

And the Danish Dairy company which is the largest in the world and took 40 years to establish itself in the Middle East has now taken a $480m loss. Appearently they tried to take out ads in the Middle Eastern Newspapers saying that they had do part of this, but I guess they will never regain that market.

If you read the BBC website and the comments section one Danish guy will go and tell everyone who asks him that he is Finnish and not Danish. I guess business are hurting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Man, I soooo want to photoshop a picture of Mohammed right now...
See the "rumors and misinformation" bit of this page, and the links if still there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-P ... d_cartoons

The ones the Islamic Society themselves made up are probably more creative.
Originally posted by CloudStrifer
print a Neo-Nazi cartoon which makes fun of the holocaust and the Jews.
Well, let's see...

1) Making fun of the systematic murder of an ethnic group.

2) Social critique of people who believe in an invisible man, and who use this belief to justify murder.

It's deeply ironic that a cartoon about Muslim extremists wanting to commit acts of violence has resulted in those extremists proving the point.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Originally posted by Denyer

Well, let's see...

1) Making fun of the systematic murder of an ethnic group.

2) Social critique of people who believe in an invisible man, and who use this belief to justify murder.

It's deeply ironic that a cartoon about Muslim extremists wanting to commit acts of violence has resulted in those extremists proving the point.

Ahh, but what is it was not about free speach entirely, but free speach with the intent to antagozine an entire religous group? They must be up to something. Them Danes and thier shifty eyes!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

but free speach with the intent to antagozine an entire religous group? They must be up to something. Them Danes and thier shifty eyes!
I'm going to assume that was a rare stab at humour...

A religious conviction is not in any way equal to a blood type, gender, country of origin, country of residence, skin colour, etc. The Muslim I know best is white and British, for one thing -- and pretty intelligent, as is her husband (who migrated here some years ago.)

Nobody speaks for an entire religious category, nor do members of that loose category agree on all points of faith -- some Muslims do render art of the prophet, just as some branches of Christianity preserve icongraphy whilst others regard it as unnecessary and likely to lead people away from spirituality. Likewise, some churches of most religions hold bodily relics and possessions claimed to have been from apostles and prophets in high esteem (hair, cloth fragments, etc.) Some celebrate saints' days or a prophet's birthday.

Treating all Danes as one group is as idiotic and childish as treating all Arabs as Muslims, all citizens of Jerusalem as Christian or all residents of Hollywood as Jewish. Just as it beggars belief that people can read a faith veined through with "Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another.", "What is the best type of Jihad/struggle?" / "Speaking truth before a tyrannical ruler." and "It is better for a leader to make a mistake in forgiving than to make a mistake in punishing." and only pay attention to the bits they decide give them authority to commit violence.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel
:rolleyes: I can't really see how they didn't think this is the reaction they would get. I'm all for freedom of speech, but this is very offensive and I don't think this could have any other intention than to offend people.

I find it somewhat appalling that these people don't complain because their religious leader was depicted as a terrorost, but because he was depicted at all.

Strange priorities if you ask me.

Plus, regardless of whether you find the anger justified or not, nothing justifies the reactions. I mean, it was just one newspaper. Boycotting an entire country about it, threatening the lives of everyone from that country and even expanding the hatred to all Europeans is blowing this issue way out of proportion.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/ ... index.html

Wow. Just wow.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Denyer

Nobody speaks for an entire religious category,

CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Originally posted by Nevermore
I find it somewhat appalling that these people don't complain because their religious leader was depicted as a terrorost, but because he was depicted at all.

Strange priorities if you ask me.

Plus, regardless of whether you find the anger justified or not, nothing justifies the reactions. I mean, it was just one newspaper. Boycotting an entire country about it, threatening the lives of everyone from that country and even expanding the hatred to all Europeans is blowing this issue way out of proportion.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/ ... index.html

Wow. Just wow.

Oh come on. Do you seriously think this was all for fun? Hardly. It was a procative move to see how far they could go, which wasn't far enough.

It all started when some danish author asked artists to depit Muhammad (PBUH) for his book about him. When they refused, the newspaper picked up the story and ran it telling people to draw him. Exactly knowing what they were doing they printed it. I am suprised that they even think that this isn't the reaction that they would recieve. If the Danish economy loses alot then I think the government should actually try to control some aspects of freeh speach.

The reason the French, Jordanian and German ran the cartoons is exactly the same reason that the Danish did. All of them got a reaction to it as well.

I am all for free speach. Yeah go ahead and say whatever you want, but I am not for using free speach to insult, spead hatred to a speific group of people.

Yes you can make fun of government, religion no. You can make fun of a country, but making fun of an entire race? no.

There should be hate limits on free speach or anyone can say anything and hide behind free speach.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I am all for free speach. Yeah go ahead and say whatever you want, but I am not for using free speach to insult, spead hatred to a speific group of people.

Free speech is an all or nothing proposition. You can't sit there and say, "You can say whatever you want as long as it does not include the following things...", because then, it's not free speech.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Klan, but that doesn't change the fact that they have to right to think or say what they want, and, until they lynch someone or burn a cross in someone's yard, there's not much anyone can do about it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

spead hatred to a speific group of people.

Yes you can make fun of government, religion no. You can make fun of a country, but making fun of an entire race?
Fun fact for the day:

Religion is not race. Race is not religion.

If people wish to critique the opinion that there is a god, or that people are holy, this is reasonable.

Violence in the name of an opinion is poor promotion for that opinion.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Oh come on. Do you seriously think this was all for fun? Hardly. It was a procative move to see how far they could go, which wasn't far enough.

It all started when some danish author asked artists to depit Muhammad (PBUH) for his book about him. When they refused, the newspaper picked up the story and ran it telling people to draw him. Exactly knowing what they were doing they printed it. I am suprised that they even think that this isn't the reaction that they would recieve. If the Danish economy loses alot then I think the government should actually try to control some aspects of freeh speach.

The reason the French, Jordanian and German ran the cartoons is exactly the same reason that the Danish did. All of them got a reaction to it as well.

Yes you can make fun of government, religion no. You can make fun of a country, but making fun of an entire race? no.

There should be hate limits on free speach or anyone can say anything and hide behind free speach.

I fail to see how it’s all right to make fun of a country but not a race. What people find offensive is completely down to opinion. People can't just decide what’s good and what’s bad and then force it on others. Anti-Semitics hate Jews and that’s their opinion. If they were the leaders of your country, if free speech is something for the government to pick and choose, then an anti-Semitic government could just block out anything pro-Jewish and promote anti-Semitism. Now I would be against that, as most people would, but its still opinion. Even good and evil is opinion. Most of us would hold the opinion that murder is wrong, but that’s all it is, "Opinion". However I'm not saying we should allow murder for, now matter how odd it may sound, it would be forcing your opinion on another. Cartoons and words cannot hurt you it's people's, IMO, stupid reactions that do.

Yes you can make fun of government, religion no. .

Religions for example Catholicism are constantly being mocked but this rarely causes any sort of controversy. It seems there are different rules for certain religions and races, the latter for example just today, I heard two radio ads, one which contained a pastiche of a German man and the other of a Chinese man. I constantly hear these two races being mocked with exaggerate accents ect but image, for example, doing a pastiche of Nigerian, it would cause a riot. And if we're not aloud to mock religion, are you saying we should ban hilarious programs such as "Father Ted" I know many hugely religious Catholics who absolutely love that show, yet we should ban it just because it is a satire on religion?" In this Aardvark’s opinion, this whole story is a ridicules overreaction, whether it was meant to cause it or not.
-Alex???
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

The way I see it, free speech means that people can say whatever they want, even when they are abusing that right. These cartoons were made with the deliberate intention of offending someone. While it's a very obnoxious and cowardly way to use one's freedom of speech, they have the right to do so.

That being said, if I were to decide to exercise my right to free speech, by going into a bar, finding the biggest, meanest sonofagun in there and telling him how much of a horse's ass he was and how I banged his girlfriend, I wouldn't expect to leave that place alive. Now, it's not right to kill someone over words, but if you're stupid enough to do something like that, I have no sympathy for you.

By the same token, the papers were asking for trouble when they published those pictures. While Muslims are not terrorists, there are more than enough "Muslim" (yes, they claim to be Muslim, but their leaders are clearly hijacking the religion in order to further their own agenda) terrorist groups to make even an idiot realize that publishing an offensive charicature of Mohammed is the best way to make your country the target of a terrorist attack. It's just a bad idea.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

The people entirely in the wrong here are the asshat muslims throwing a fit about this. Printing a cartoon should not lead to violence and murder, and if your culture encourages that, then maybe it's time for your culture to be removed from a civilized world.

Bottom line - These people are backasswards, let's glass 'em.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Am I the only one who found that hilarious? From the man who's so right wing he thinks anyone not of the same beliefs is fair game for a bit of death?