Shockwave Spotlight five-page preview and advance review

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Shockwave Spotlight five-page preview and advance review

Post by Denyer »

jhlucas
Protoform

Post by jhlucas »

Excellent. Furman has once again found his muse. (Hope it sticks around for Escalation!)
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Hmm. Well, I skimmed both of those links, so as not to be too spoliered - thanks for the sneak peek - and, not surprisingly, the issue does look promising.

EXCEPT - it looks as though it may get us into the "millions of years" issue again. As several of us have been discussing lately, the traditional four million year gap is problematic at best. If all that's going on here is the implication that the war has been going on for millions of years, I guess I can live with that (though I wouldn't've minded a new take, with only thousands ormaybe tens of thousands of years, say). So long as nobody's been out of action for millions of years and just steps right back in without missing a beat....
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It mentions the Dinos don't get their alt-modes from live dinosaurs, so no technology-developing-hugely-ahead gap, but the war itself is much older.

Shockwave's design has always suggested he's probably one of the oldest Transformers (either that or he's a big fan of cubism.)
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

I gotta say I'm dying to get a hold of this one off. Pre-earth dinobots...how cool? I like that theres a hint of Beast Wars with the whole 'too much energon causing system lock' and Grimlock talking normally..suggesting that something happens in this encounter to make him talk a little slower and in broken sentences. I seem to remember DW trying to explain in the 'Dark Ages' run, with Jetfire mentioning something about a cerebro shell, when they were both with the 'Cons.

Either way, this looks to be cracking read, hopefully much better than 'Hearts of Steel.'
Thanks to StoneCold Skywarp for the Sig
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

An idea someone elsewhere came up with: what if the Dinobots used a synth organic skin to protect them during a battle with Shockwave, ended up deactivated on Earth and the covering rotted away, leaving us with metal dinos in the present day?

Would be ****ing cool, IMNSHO.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

That would make more sense than them just updating there alt modes to what we know and love. Especially if they end up being reactivated in the new Escalation story line. Though I can imagine that if they do, they may even adopt new vehicle modes to remain undercover, so to speak.
Thanks to StoneCold Skywarp for the Sig
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

Originally posted by Denyer
An idea someone elsewhere came up with: what if the Dinobots used a synth organic skin to protect them during a battle with Shockwave, ended up deactivated on Earth and the covering rotted away, leaving us with metal dinos in the present day?

Would be ****ing cool, IMNSHO.
Grimlock: "I'll be back!" :D

Would be cool if the went the T-800 route, but then their bodies need to be redesigned quite a bit, since the overly squared and angular designs of G1 wouldn't fly with a more natural dinosaur look.

Also, Infiltration #1 mentions the finds of angular dinosauresque footprints being discovered IIRC...
Ah...forget it!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It'd be great if they just stuck the Dinobots in with no explanation whatsoever. Every issue (or page, even) Prime could ask Grimlock how he got to Earth, and Grimlock would go "Well Prime..." and then Decepticons could attack, or the phone could go, or the issue could end, or the title could get cancelled or something.

I so have the best ideas about everything. You're lucky I let you all post near me. :)
SHOCKERS
Protoform

Post by SHOCKERS »

This is what i've been waiting for.:)
On another note;really enjoying Stormbringer,so keep up the good work IDW! Feeling positive.For once.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

This looks titanic! Is Shockwave the prime mover behind a lot of what has been happening over the years throughout TF animation and comicdom series? Oooh, gosh, missus! I can feel a cold icy metal hand trailing up my spine.

They ain't spoilers - they're definitely teasers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Feeling positive.For once.

well i fancy a rant...

hypothesis : shockwave looked like a pokemon 600 000 meta-cycles ago.

analysis : he also used to talk like cpt. kirk

conclusion : the butler did it, let cliffjumper write the script.

edit : stormbringer is good though