Winter London Film & Comic Con's Transformers Coverage

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Brendocon 2.0

Winter London Film & Comic Con's Transformers Coverage

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

(Sorry if this is already covered elsewhere - I can see a few Auto Assembly threads but nothing about this)

London Film & Comic Con have two events at Earls Court each year - the first is this weekend but the second is October and is already being promoted as having a heavy Transformers presence.

http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/

edit: That's the main page for the current October event, just scroll down the page looking at the right hand side for the currently announced Transformers guests. Not on there but confirmed by other sources include Lee Sullivan, James Roberts, Nick Roche and Simon Furman. Commitments permitting of course- Dalek

Bob Budiansky and Jose Delbo are both signed up, so that's the obvious draw. Furman and Wildman don't have anything else to do ever, so of course they'll be there. Roche and Roberts too. Stephen Baskerville also already booked.

Considering that this weekend's event doesn't have a specific TF feature but is still being attended by Furman, Wildman, Baskerville, Simpson, Kitson, Sullivan, Abnett, Collins, Hine, Georgiou and Stringer anyway, I'd be surprised if most of those and more weren't back in October.

So yeah, just a heads-up to anybody who may not really pay attention to the wider-focus convention scene.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Holy crap. I knew about the on this weekend (and indeed, almost attended), but this is all new on me.

The chance to meet Budiansky and shake his hand... well that's one I can't really pass up. Must look into getting time off work...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
inflatable dalek

As Uncle Bob's first visit to a UK event feels like quite a big thing (I'm actually worryingly excited) I've moved this to news as it might bring this to more people's attention there. After October when (hopefully) this becomes a more general discussion between those of us that were able to attend I'll shift it back to TFGD.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Earl's Court is still open? I thought they were tearing it down to make room for more chain stores?
inflatable dalek

I've booked one of my usual hotels for the weekend (it's a bit of a dive but near Hyde Park and relatively cheap) and will be in London from Saturday afternoon till Tuesday morning (I'm also taking in a Richard Herring podcast on the Monday).

Still not sure which of the two days will be the best for me, I'd have more time on the Sunday (realistically It'll be well after midday by the time I get there), but at least one person I know from another forum is going to be there on the Saturday and, if that's the majority vote, I'll just have to make it an afternoon job.

Of the other guests, I might go admire Katee Sackhoff.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

I'm going on the Saturday.
inflatable dalek

[Cuts the even by my standards rubbish joke]

Are there any active links left that mention the Transformer guests?
inflatable dalek

yeah... do we have a current link with the name's of the TF people on it?
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Now you mention it, I can't see them listed on the roll-call of guests...

Hmmm....
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:Are there any active links left that mention the Transformer guests?
http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/su ... ansformers

edit: They seem to have just bulk moved the summer con stuff, and only just now be starting on news for the autumn/winter one.
inflatable dalek

Cool, have changed the link in the opening post to the current one.

Not entirely convinced by the fact they've let links die off, nor that the main page for the Event still doesn't mention any of the Transformers guests. As I'm now committed to being in London for the weekend regardless of whether I go to this, I'm hoping updates will be a bit more frequent and smoother.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think they're just a bit crap.

Might pre-book some train tickets for the Saturday and then see if it's confirmed.
inflatable dalek

If you do, and assuming you're going from Birmingham, let me know and I'll try to book onto the same train. If you book far enough in advance Euston usually works out cheaper, nearer the day Marylebone is often the cheaper bet.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's probably one from Wolverhampton at about a quarter to six that'd get me there for the time it opens, but assuming I end up doing this happy to hang around and meet up in the afternoon.
inflatable dalek

UPDATES!!!!:

The website actually has some of the Transformers guests on it now (though the write up for Bob Budiansky is written by someone who didn't realise the generations comic IDW did was all reprints).

No James Roberts or Simon Furman on there yet, but Guido Guidi is on the site (alongside the already announced Jose Delbo).

Lee Sullivan has confirmed to someone I know on another website (I don't know if this counts as reliable news?) he'll be there both days. And even though they haven't been formally announced yet, I would be amazed if James and Nick Roche aren't there as well (both were very up for it when I spoke to them about it at Auto Assembly, and James mentioned he'd been specifically asked there as one part of the holy trinity/past, present and future of Transformers Comic Writers along with Bob and Simon. And he was gleeful about being in the same room as Uncle Bob regardless of being a guest).

Also, Larry Hama is on the comics guest list and technically counts as a Transformers writer.

I am also now going down on the Friday so as to be up and ready to go early on the Saturday. My assurance of that fact is slightly let down however by the hotel I'm staying at responding to my "Can I change my reservation to add an extra night?" email with "BLOCK CAPITALS AND RANDOMLY MISSPELT WORDS" that I think means it will be OK, but they have yet to reply to my second "That price is fine, put me down for the 17th" email.

Plus, Lalla Ward will be there!

I'll update the opening link to the winter con as annoyingly they seem to need to change the tie ins so as to be completely up to date more than should be the case...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think this is confirmation for Uncle Bob (posted six days ago):

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/ind ... =budiansky

:up::up:

edit:

Thinking I'll aim to get pages reprinting Monstercon from Mars signed by BB and Delbo.
inflatable dalek

I havee booked my tickets, and have actually paid for both days as most of the roudy rabble from Transformers fandom are looking to be there on the Saturday and a fellow Battlestar Galactica fan friend of mine can only do the Sunday.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Should be there by about half eight, and have a train back at about the same time in the evening. More importantly I've got the day before off...
inflatable dalek

James Roberts has had to pull out (though I don't think he ever made it onto the official and rather terrible website), which is a great shame as I know from talking to him at AA (CLANG) he was insanely up for hanging around with Uncle Bob.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Have they updated anything on the main site by now? Haven't had chance to check.

edit: Oh yeah, sidebar.