IDW July Solicitations are up!!! (New--Transformers: Stormbringer #1)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

IDW July Solicitations are up!!! (New--Transformers: Stormbringer #1)

Post by Ford DeceptiFocus »

http://www.idwpublishing.com/solicitations.shtml

LOOKS HOT!!!

Per IDW:

"For those of you craving unchecked, cover-to-cover giant robot action (guaranteed no humans!) on an epic scale, look no further than this special space epic. So far, in “Infiltration,” we’ve had tantalizing hints about the state of play elsewhere in the TRANSFORMERS universe, but now we look in on Cybertron itself, unlocking a dark, dark chapter in the planet’s history, one that is about to hit the Autobots and Decepticons again… full force! By the Beast Wars team supreme of Simon Furman and Don Figueroa. This special four-part series will tell one complete, self-contained cosmic epic. What’s more, each issue will feature a wraparound cover from Figueroa, all four of which combine to present one huge image, and a variant cover from Fig, too."
Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Deserves an image link, I think...

Hmm... is that Thunderwing?
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Wasn't sure if I could post a pic or not. But that art is AMAZING. I need to brush up on who Thunderwing is.

Still, I'm pretty bummed that Beast Wars isn't going to be an ongoing series. I was hooked after #1. I'd still like a series that chronicals the time between the end of G1 and the beginning of Beast Wars. It would be a really cool ongoing (comic) to understand what happened in the 300 year period to cause such a dramatic shift in the Transformers. IDW are you listening?!?!

Actually come to think of it, if the team that created Beast Wars did a cartoon about this time period--and it was as good or better--WOW! Hasbro are you listening?!?!
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Denyer
Looks like him.

So, Infiltration was a mini, not first arc of ongoing series? Hrm.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Ozz
So, Infiltration was a mini
Everything we've seen suggests otherwise -- either #7 with a new storyline is waiting to be added to the solicitations, or it might miss a month whilst Stormbringer starts.

Have to say I'm a lot more interested by Stormbringer and the regular title than the Evolutions book, at this point. :)
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

In a pretender shell? One subscription assured. Yes, I'm easy prey. :o

Could live without "the Fallen" vibes in the pictures though.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Maybe Sunbringer #1 is just the continuation of Infiltration--and is actually the next story arc in the continuity. Just a thought.

The other thought I had is perhaps IDW is going to run the Transformers property kinda like what is done with X-Men, where there is the OVERALL story, but 2-3 titles (written/published concurrently) supporting the overall continuity. What do you guys think?

I think Evolution looks like fun camp. I'm going to pick it up.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
The other thought I had is perhaps IDW is going to run the Transformers property kinda like what is done with X-Men, where there is the OVERALL story, but 2-3 titles (written/published concurrently) supporting the overall continuity. What do you guys think?
I always wanted to see that, as long as it's not overkilled. Transformers have wide cast, too, and that way more of characters will get into the spotlight.

Will definitely be getting Strombringer and will see about Heart of Steel yet. :)
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Maybe Sunbringer #1 is just the continuation of Infiltration--and is actually the next story arc in the continuity. Just a thought.
It's not -- it's an adjunct story that may play into the ongoing. Kind of like Headmasters way back when with Marvel.

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin ... 1091;st=90
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

So I was kind of right...even if it's not a series, it's still a mini-series that ties into the main continuity. I like the idea of getting to learn about different aspects/stories of the Transformers Universe going on at the same time. Makes it seem richer, bigger---and I agree with a previous point which said it allows more characters to come to the forefront.

Maybe, we'll finally learn what the difference is between a boy and girl Transformer REALLY is--other than a cute name and some pink paint. I have always wondered how the Beast Wars characters "decended" from their Autobot/Decepticon forefathers. LOL.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, fun as two/three concurrent titles (in the same continuity, for the sake of keeping nitpickers shutted the ****est upeth) would be, I don't think there'd be enough regular buyers to support it...

I'm also a bit worried by the art looking like a "Dark Ages" rip-off... hope we're not going to have Furman's usual new company "this is how I've always wanted to do it!" (translation: you've read this before) schtick. Thunderwing speaks more of past "glories" (I don't really have to do my Thunderwing thing, do I?) to me, especially after his laughable Armada appearance.

But... well, I've got no reason to expect it to be bad. I just hope it's not War Within again.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Likewise.
So I was kind of right...even if it's not a series, it's still a mini-series that ties into the main continuity.
Yeah, no alt-universe. Hence my interest. I was just making the point it's a declared self-contained story. :)
Maybe, we'll finally learn what the difference is between a boy and girl Transformer REALLY is--other than a cute name and some pink paint.
Or we could just drop the concept into the compactor and not use Arcee.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

*Hands Cliffjumper a half-empty glass". Dang dude...give it a shot. Those two pieces of art looked hot man. True they were surrounded by fire & flames, but you know what I mean. Let's not automatically assume the worst based on two pieces of art.

But your point about not many people buying more comics brings up an interesting idea. Why doesn't Hasbro cross-promote the comics with the toys? There should be an advertising flyer/product promo IN the toy boxes telling the consumer about the comics. How many people outside of fandom really know about the Transformers comics? It'd be an excellent way to get the message out. Also, they should promote them on the Transformers.com website.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Why doesn't Hasbro cross-promote the comics with the toys? There should be an advertising flyer/product promo IN the toy boxes telling the consumer about the comics. How many people outside of fandom really know about the Transformers comics? It'd be an excellent way to get the message out. Also, they should promote them on the Transformers.com website.
They've never advertised comics much in the past -- have pack-in comics, yes, but the comics have always served as adverts for the toys rather than the other way around, and the push is for the comics license to stand on its own merits.

So I suspect we won't see links to existing reissue DVDs, trades, new comics, etc. on Transformers.com because they're keen to funnel purchasers more directly to them in the form of toy sales.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Likewise.

Yeah, no alt-universe. Hence my interest. I was just making the point it's a declared self-contained story. :)

Or we could just drop the concept into the compactor and not use Arcee.

I was just being a self-depreciating dumb a$$. ;) Actually thanks for the link to the forum supporting your statement. I didn't know that!

I'm digging on this idea of mini-series supporting the overall continuity. Didn't you wonder (as a kid) where the rest of the Autobots/Decepticons went sometimes? Like why would Megatron use Predaking instead of Devastator? Maybe Devastator was off doing a side gig/project for the Big M. Or where the FemBots were half the time--I mean they probably weren't waitresses at Hooters: Autobot City! *grin*
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Dang dude...give it a shot.

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
But... well, I've got no reason to expect it to be bad.

Sorry, though, I suppose I should be bouncing off the walls about two average pieces of art I don't particularly care for, rather than voicing my opinions. I'll buy all 40 covers and love it like a good little automaton.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Sorry, though, I suppose I should be bouncing off the walls about two average pieces of art I don't particularly care for, rather than voicing my opinions. I'll buy all 40 covers and love it like a good little automaton.

Haha. You know what I mean dude.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Or where the FemBots were half the time
That one's easy enough -- the real world answer, anyway -- they were added at the behest of the network, to broaden its demographic. Hasbro had no interest in them because they didn't represent toy advertising.

An early Arcee prototype was a repainted Chromedome, before anyone suggests "well, why didn't they just make toys?" It wasn't until about ten years later that a fan came up with this:

http://tfarchive.com/creative/showentry.php?s=543
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

An early Arcee prototype was a repainted Chromedome

I can think of very few car Transformers so far from the character model. I kinda wish they'd done the thing, because that would be so hilariously bad. A big, chunky, butch Arcee toy.

Someone out there must have both a spare Chromedome and the desire to put a lot of efort into making me laugh.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

That one's easy enough -- the real world answer, anyway -- they were added at the behest of the network, to broaden its demographic. Hasbro had no interest in them because they didn't represent toy advertising.

An early Arcee prototype was a repainted Chromedome, before anyone suggests "well, why didn't they just make toys?" It wasn't until about ten years later that a fan came up with this:

http://tfarchive.com/creative/showentry.php?s=543

Well I know the real world reasons...that's obvious enough. Even though in the real-world, it didn't work because they didn't have supporting fem-toys until years & years later. Although, funnily enough I used to steal my sisters Barbie dolls & rub pink crayon or marker in its hair until I had pink hair..and then bend her in half and pretend she was Arcee so I had a fembot for recreating the movie scenes in my "battles". I called her Amazon Arcee.

But I mean story wise it would be cool to see the Transformers Universe in action at the same time with different stories telling different aspects of the total story so it was richer. I mean there is only so much story a writer can tell in 32 pages minus the 10 pages of ads. ;)

And on the Arcee note--I have never seen that fan-created toy before. WOW. I would snap one up in a heart beat!!!! I'm actually secretly wishing for a Pink Cadillac Alternator Arcee.