Masterpiece 08x: "King" Grimlock

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nevermore

Masterpiece 08x: "King" Grimlock

Post by Nevermore »

Toy Hobby Market exclusive.

Including the crown, and coming in a "comic" box... wow, Marvel-style for Japan.

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&al ... 00&start=0
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is it just the light, or have they redone the black parts in dark blue? They do understand that was just the printing process, right? That's epic fail, even by Takara's stratospheric standards of failure.

Plus side, though, is they had the self-respect not to give the thing a new number.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I think I'll skip this one considering there's a separate accessories kit coming out that has a crown for Grimmy.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Cliffjumper wrote:Is it just the light, or have they redone the black parts in dark blue? They do understand that was just the printing process, right? That's epic fail, even by Takara's stratospheric standards of failure.
So what, they're supposed to release the exact same thing again, just with different accessories?

From what I heard, Hasbro did the same (blue instead of black) with Star Wars redecos.
SenahBirdR
Protoform

Post by SenahBirdR »

It might be interesting if Hasbro ever does the MP Grimlock mold as a US release to use these accessories and their take on the original color scheme. Definitely too spendy for me to order overseas though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nevermore wrote:So what, they're supposed to release the exact same thing again, just with different accessories?

From what I heard, Hasbro did the same (blue instead of black) with Star Wars redecos.
Again with the remarkable leaps of logic and heartfelt belief there are only two toy companies in the world.

For the first one, no. Maybe if there's no even halfway decent secondary scheme for the mould, don't do a repaint. It's really that simple. They need to do repaints to make it viable? Then they're crap anyway, something they largely brought on themselves through misuse of the property. Either way they're potentially doing anyone who prefers this version over the one they just paid the preposterous amount for rough and hard right up the arse.

As for the second, well, it's such a monstrously stupid thing to say I'll pretty much leave it be.

"This particular toy has a colour scheme change that looks stupid and makes very little sense"
"Another toy company has also made similar mistakes on a totally different line"

Well, that's me convinced, where do I send the $StupidAmountForAFairlySmallFigureQuiteLowInDetailAndOnPastFormFilled
WithMassiveEngineeringDefects?

Pathetic.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

That's one lovely box. Anyone know which issue the art is from?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Well, that's me convinced, where do I send the $StupidAmountForAFairlySmallFigureQuiteLowInDetailAndOnPastFormFilled
WithMassiveEngineeringDefects?

Pathetic.
Massive engineering defects? We're talking about Grimlock, not Megatron. The rest of what you said is fair, though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:Massive engineering defects? We're talking about Grimlock, not Megatron. The rest of what you said is fair, though.
Yeh, I hear he's not badly done, to be fair. If he was about half the price he is I'd be seriously tempted, just because I like Grimlock and the original is rather flawed, but the money is daft for what it is. Here's hoping Hasbro come through for us...

I'm not sure the art is from anything previous... From that small picture, it's got a very "UK" feel to it, and the British stuff either didn't touch King Grimlock or basically ignored his characterisation at the time (cf. "Ancient Relics"). But then I'd be lying if I said I knew that particular batch of issues that well - it's one of the bits of Bob that really doesn't have many redeeming features.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote: I'm not sure the art is from anything previous... From that small picture, it's got a very "UK" feel to it, and the British stuff either didn't touch King Grimlock or basically ignored his characterisation at the time (cf. "Ancient Relics"). But then I'd be lying if I said I knew that particular batch of issues that well - it's one of the bits of Bob that really doesn't have many redeeming features.
Yep, I thought the colouring was very UK, even Geoff Seniorish. They might have recoloured it though in order to spare the Japanese Yomotov.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I thought the original version came with a crown?
http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... stcount=51

I want my turquise G2 Masterpiece Grimlock!!!!!111twentyseven

They listen to us:
http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... stcount=42
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

They scrapped the crown for the initial release.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

RID Scourge wrote:They scrapped the crown for the initial release.

No, they held it back to release with a minor repaint of the figure.

Of course, it looks like I brought this on us. I mean, if Takara are going to take tips from me, they could at least use the good ones ...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

If it makes you feel better, I made a half-arsed comment about wanting a Masterpiece Megatron about a week before that news broke, so we're both carrying the blame for one now...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

inflatable dalek

Irregardless of the blue I do think the rest of the colour scheme works a lot better than the original, a lot more vibrant.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Irregardless
Don't make me slap you.

Personally I think the blue looks lovely. I want that. I want it lots.

But then I remember it's Takara so the joints will probably be made out of polystyrene and held together by the power of positive thought.
inflatable dalek

Has the Marvel stuff ever had any sort of translated release in Japan? Or is this just a slightly desperate Takara having no better ideas for the repaint?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

inflatable dalek wrote:Has the Marvel stuff ever had any sort of translated release in Japan? Or is this just a slightly desperate Takara having no better ideas for the repaint?
I think it's the latter. Starscream can be painted into half a dozen Seekers while Optimus into Magnus. Grimlock? Who could he be repainted to? Somehow a Masterpiece Overkill would really shelf-warm.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

A lot of it was covered in the Generations book, so there's definite awareness of it. Whether it got a release or not... er, pass.

I refuse to believe Takara have no other ideas for a recolour, though. Ignoring the G2 redecos, you've got the notion of recycling the colour scheme from Beast Wars, then of course there's black and clear premiums... shiny gold Grimlock for a limited convention run. Milk it! Milk the mould until it's worn, broken and lost!