Shout yes if you agree!!!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Ulticron
Protoform

Shout yes if you agree!!!

Post by Ulticron »

Is it just me or do you feel Rodimus Prime was a really crappy and whiney leader? If you think Rodimus sucked as a leader please leave your feelings of disgust for him here *L* :)
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Ummm this should be in the G1 section and at Times yes Rodimus was, but not a bad leader really.
The HeartBrend Kid
Protoform

Post by The HeartBrend Kid »

Since when did uncertainty amount to "crappy"?

I personally think it was a pretty brave move to write a leader that was racked with self-doubt...
Ulticron
Protoform

Post by Ulticron »

Yeah i noticed that i skrewed up and posted several different threads in general that should be in G1. I wasn't paying attention to what i was doing. Hopefully a moderator will be nice enough to move them. Sorry.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

For the most part, every time he doubted himself, it was proven that he was wrong to doubt himself because he was able to rise to the challenge of leadership.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

the fact that the Autobots under Rodimus always made Galvatron lose had to count for something. But for some reason I don't think Galvatron took Rodimus seriously--well, at least as not as seriously as he took Ultra Magnus.
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

When I was a kid, it just seemed like all Rodimus did was whine. It was good when he did finally kick a$$, but those occaisions were few and far between. Optimus also did his fair share of whining, to be fair, but for some reason, I was able to fogive him much more, because he had that something extra that the Rodimus character lacked. That certain something that seperates the Optimus Prime's from the Rodimus Prime's.

Optimus was, well, he was 'tha man' if you know what I mean. You hang out with him, you have a few drinks, you talk about stuff, but on no account do you set up a rival faction and try to tan his hide, coz when he's mad he could tear the place up. Not that he gets mad often, but you only have to smack Ironhide with a girder and you'll have a raging Prime on yo' a$$, and you wouldn't want that.

Rodimus Prime? Hah, you're sitting in a bar on Cybertron, you knock his pint over, Rodimus says; "Did you just spill my pint?' to which you say "Yeah, what about it?". "Oh nothing" he'll say; "I probably shouldn't be drinking anyway, it's wrong to drink, and d@mn this war, I shouldn't be leader, I'm so insecure, whine whine whine, why me, why me?, why not.... Magnus? why not....? Ooops, I'm late for therapy".

Rodimus Prime.....eeeuuch!
Optimus......Rock on!
Ulticron
Protoform

Post by Ulticron »

Windcharger you've got to tell me when Optimus whined. I don't remember one ocasion, but then G1 has lots of episodes and I know i've forgotten lots of things

As for Rodimus always winning against Galvatron, well... He had Kup a war veteran at his side, and Magnus who wasn't a stranger to the Great War either at his side also. Which i find sad that he had to have two great autobots compensate for his incompotence. I may be wrong but the way I remember it Prime never really had anyone at his side. On rare ocasions he consulted Alpha Trion but that's about all I remember. Even when he didnt' have the Matrix he was still quite driven and confident.
Almagnus1
Protoform

Post by Almagnus1 »

Difference here being that Optimus was actually confident in the role, where Rodimus was consistently doubting himself. Appearance is half of being a leader, and if you appear unsure, then your not going to be able to lead your troops as well.
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

Originally posted by Ulticron
Windcharger you've got to tell me when Optimus whined.

I may be wrong but the way I remember it Prime never really had anyone at his side.
Admittedly, Prime wasn't really much of a whiner, it's true. When he did complain, it was more about the idea of being at war than about his own inadequacies.

And I'd say Ironhide and Prowl are pretty comparable to Magnus and Kup, at least in terms of a support system.
Ulticron
Protoform

Post by Ulticron »

Now that you mention it Starscreamsghost, Kup and Ironhide were alot alike. The only major difference in their situations though were the fact that I felt more like Ironhide and Prime were equals and friends, and Kup was more of a wise grandfather to Rodimus, and if he was smart the fule injected punk would shut his mouth and listen to the old guy *L*.
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

I swear I've seen this topic before... *Scratches head*

Character development and personality are big things with me; hence I go with Rodimus. I gotta second Tarantulus' remark about how brave it was to write a leader racked with doubt. He had the chance to be a great character, but sadly they had to shoot that potential in the foot for the sake of thinking Op's return would save the show...even though crappy stories and Wheelie and Blurr were what was killing it, not Rodimus.

R.
Prowl?
Protoform

Post by Prowl? »

Prowl could kick roddy's ass......
-----------------------
P R O W L ?
I support Todd Bertuzzi
start climbing that sh*t rope...
http://maddox.xmission.com/
Skylinx
Protoform

Post by Skylinx »

No, I don't agree, he could whine but it's part of his personality and remember that he doubts himself cause he is learning how to be a leader, whilst Prime had already been leading the autobots for millions of years when we saw him in the show.
Cyclonis
Protoform

Re: Shout yes if you agree!!!

Post by Cyclonis »

Hey i think all things considered he did an amazing job. He did doubt and whine but he kept the Decepticons from taking Earth or killing the autobots. Let's face it a think we all would complain and underestimate ourselves if we compared us to Prime. Let's not forget he was young when acting as the leader of the Autobots and I agree with him it must be one hard task with lots of pressure.

Does anybody know which is the key/password for the #Transformers channel on Mirc undernet??
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

Yes, he complained a lot. I dislike the character, however, I don't blame him much. He had the best Autobot leader act ever to try and follow. It would be like me trying to lead the COnferderate Army if General Lee got dropped.

For the Brits.
It would be like me trying to command the Navy after Drake bit the dust. (OK, maybe not the best example, but it gets thepoint across)
________
Vapir no2
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Hi Ulticron,

Yeah, I forgot to mention that all the times I saw Optimus Prime whine and moan, it was in the comics, and probably the UK issues more than anything. Like Rodimus, Optimus was always questioning whether he was a good leader, the burden of having so many thousands of autobot deaths to be responsible for and so on. The 'Target 2006' story for example, Optimus was absent the whole time, and when he returned, he was disgusted at the lengths his troops had to go to to survive (making a deal with the devil), and felt ashamed that he had not taught them better. In 'Prey' he tested their mettle to see if they could get along without him (faking his own death), and so on. I don't recall him ever whining in the Cartoon. Still, on the comics front, he managed to carry himself better than Rodimus, and yes I know he'd been leader for 4 million years, but most of that was deactivated on the ark on Earth. How long was Optimus an active leader for? And he was chosen as leader for his superior military genius on the battlefield. Kind of like Magnus, but a leader/warrior.

I don't know what kind of speciality Rodimus had, as I never had the toy to read his tech specs, and he never inspired me to find out much about him due to constant whining. Maybe he should have been content to do the whining and necessary 'lighting of the darkest hour' every so often, while Magnus, Kup and Springer handled the war side.
Avalanche Butt
Protoform

Post by Avalanche Butt »

Maybe it was "brave" for them to make Rodimus doubtful, maybe it was understandable that he was not sure of himself given the situation, and maybe they were going to develop his character as the show progressed.

That may all be true, but that doesn't mean I should like him better than Optimus -- and I don't.

Just look at his first appearance on the movie. He didn't look uncertain when fighting Galvatron or leading the Autobots out of Unicron. He very easily had potential to be Optimus' equal when you look at that. When season 3 came along, his character changed -- he wasn't even as confident as he was as Hotrod. Optimus seemed consistently strong and confident throughout the series. That's why he's the best.
~*ShadowDancer*~

Post by ~*ShadowDancer*~ »

Rodimus had his merits...he was a more dynamic character than ol' Op *but* I do feel that he was a little unsure of himself in the position of leadership, thus why he came across as being a 'crappy, whiney leader' as you so quaintly put it.

Remember, Op had 40k + yrs of experience in the position, what did Rodimus have?
~*SD*~
Proud Member of The Mini Owner's Club.

Links:

Shadow's Site - *Updated 22-03-04!*

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Originally posted by Sheba
the fact that the Autobots under Rodimus always made Galvatron lose had to count for something. But for some reason I don't think Galvatron took Rodimus seriously--well, at least as not as seriously as he took Ultra Magnus.
i was going through a rough time in my life back then...alot of adjustment issues and whatnot...