Well, Our new Prime Minister didn't take to long to destroy the country (Canada)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Brave Maximus

Well, Our new Prime Minister didn't take to long to destroy the country (Canada)

Post by Brave Maximus »

Alright, a little bit of a history lesson before I go off on a rant.

1st: Quebec (The fiercly independant and bit of a whiney brat french provence) has never signed the Canadian Constitution, so their connection to this country is tedious at best. Numerous Prime Ministers have tried to get them to sign (Notably PET in the early 80's and Mulroony in the early 90's) and all have failed. Couple this with a really close vote in the late 90's and politics with Quebec are..... tenous

2nd: During the Gay Marriage vote, 2 key Conservitive party members crossed the floor. This pissed Harper (Current PM) off to no end, so that he called for the Ethics commisioner to have them thrown out of the House of Commons, charged, sanctions against the Liberal party and a few other hissy fit things.

3rd: Harper is an ARSE who would very much like to turn Canada into US JR........

4th: Harper is the leader of the Conservitive party. They're prominantly a Western based party (specifically Alberta, Sask. and Manitobia - the Redneck provinces) and don't really care about the rest of the country. They are christian fundimentalists and just generally think they are right on everything.

Alright so the history lesson is over, on to the current state of Canada:

1: We just had an election. Harper got in with a minority Government (means he has to kiss up to the other parties to get anything passed - and he's pissed them all off). 2 days after the election, the elected LIBERAL representative for Vancouver crossed the floor for a cabinet position (lots more money a year) and became a Conservitive member. Now everyone was pissed off at this (1 it's exactly what harper bitched about earlier, 2 it wasn't over something as important as morals - he wanted more money). More than that, the Ethics Commisioner has opened a case against it - which is exactly what Harper wanted 6 months ago.

So is he working with the Commisioner? HELL NO! Infact, he wants to fire him for opening the investigation. Lovely

2: Harper just met with the Priemier of Quebec and is essentially giving them the power of a seperate country in the UN. This is akin to the first step to seperation (other than Quebec has the second highest debt load in the country and contributes next to nothing). I cannot fathom this move. He wants Quebec to have their own dealings with other contries, seperate from Canada - own taxes and everything.

He is, essentally, trying to split off the country - and doesn't really care about the maritimes.

Harper has been VERY smart in that nothing has gone to a vote in the House (so he can't get a vote of no-conficence) - he's even talking of pushing back a budget (usually what kills a Canadian Government). The biggest problem is - if an election is called (I say we'll see one in 3 or 4 months, tbh) there's nothing to challenge them. The liberals are in shambles the way martin left them. The NDP is never going to be a threat, and no one out side of Quebec can vote for the Bloc......

God, I need to organize a national party - just to give an alternative.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Emerson's political career is over.

Harper is going to be the next Joe Clark at this rate though. I know quite a few right-wingers who agree. He did it all too fast just like Joe and that is going to kill him.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Sociopathic Autobot
Emerson's political career is over.

Granted - but with most of his riding calling for a bi-election (as he's no longer representing the party they voted for), the ethics commisioner calling for something to be done and the rest of the House going "What the blue hell?!? :wtf:" - Our Prime Minister has pretty much stopped acknowledging that something happened!
Harper is going to be the next Joe Clark at this rate though. I know quite a few right-wingers who agree. He did it all too fast just like Joe and that is going to kill him.

I agree - but he's done so much damage now, and with no strong opposition should their be another election - things look bleak for the next while.

Dumb question SA (trying to remember the other threads, having a hard time) are you a Conservative supporter?
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Meh Canadian politics are a two party system. Instead of wasting everyones time and the tax payers money, just flip a coin and see which type of government we have. Its better because no one will vote for the NDP and certainly not for the two bit parties (ala Green Parties, Communist Parties (that have seemed to pop out of nowhere) and other such parties).

We should have at least five proper parties that can actually fight for the government. Right now all liberal voters gave a slap on the wrist to the liberals to mess it up. They will be elected back soon enough and the Conservative party can go back to redneck town.
Sociopathic Autobot

Originally posted by CloudStrifer
Meh Canadian politics are a two party system. Instead of wasting everyones time and the tax payers money, just flip a coin and see which type of government we have. Its better because no one will vote for the NDP and certainly not for the two bit parties (ala Green Parties, Communist Parties (that have seemed to pop out of nowhere) and other such parties).

We should have at least five proper parties that can actually fight for the government. Right now all liberal voters gave a slap on the wrist to the liberals to mess it up. They will be elected back soon enough and the Conservative party can go back to redneck town.

NDP are gaining more and more of the Popular vote. So right off the bat we know you're talking out of your ass.

I vote Liberal.

Don Bell for PM yo.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

I vote Liberal.

And now I have another reason to hare your ass.

But in all seriousness, I'm not exactly surprised about any of this.
Sociopathic Autobot

Originally posted by Bombshell

But in all seriousness, I'm not exactly surprised about any of this.

What did you vote? Communist? The Anti-Bush party to which you are the only member?
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Osku
Protoform

Re: Well, Our new Prime Minister didn't take to long to destroy the country (Canada)

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
lots of text
Good post. Not sure about others, but political threads are nowadays about the only thing that gets me into General Discussions. It's scary how large portion of my knowledge from US/Canada/Britain comes from this board. :o
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

What did you vote? Communist? The Anti-Bush party to which you are the only member?

Actually, I voted NDP. Which, basically, is the same as not voting at all, for all the good it did.
Sades

Post by Sades »

If this gets ugly, I get mean. Just a friendly reminder...
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

How does one go about haring asses?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think it's like the Richard Gere/hamster thing, but with a more accomodating ass.
sikkbones
Protoform

Post by sikkbones »

Actually, I voted NDP. Which, basically, is the same as not voting at all, for all the good it did.

i also vote NDP.. however i did not vote this last time.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

The area where we had our elections only had two candidates, Wajid Khan the Liberal party member who was elected before and Raminder Gill the Conservative member.

I think we had a Communist and a PC Party as well as an NDP but hell if they took any steps in at least trying to get my vote. Hell, the PC party candidate didn't even have a picture of himself!

At least the liberal and conservative called and came to my house, I mean if NDP can't even be bothered to come and canvas the local area what good are they? Same with the PC Party.

And sure as hell I won't vote for Conservative, so the default vote went to the liberals.
Sociopathic Autobot

At least the liberal and conservative called and came to my house, I mean if NDP can't even be bothered to come and canvas the local area what good are they? Same with the PC Party.

Having worked on a campaign I know why this is. Your area is predominantly one way. It has no middle ground.

If an area is a stonghold for say Conservative then an NDP candidate will NOT canvass there as they can't win. There is too big a thought differential. It has to have been close in the last election to be worth Canvassing for a smaller party.

I'm drunk and have a better grasp of politics than you =(
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

I'm drunk and have a better grasp of politics than you =(

So? I am not familiar with Canadian politics nor with Canadian Hisotry. Thats way I am not doing my eventual PhD in Canadian History or Politics. It would be stupid to think that I would actually know more about Canadian politics than the person who lived in Canada thier whole life. And plus both the History and Politics are boring quite frankly.

Anyway aside from that, if they can't even be bothered to show up or at leasr show thier face, why the hell do they stand up? The only way to change an area is to canvas the area and try to change it. Near where I have some cities have chosen NDP Canidates where liberals once were. I mean come on, if you accept defeat as soon as you stand, I don't trust the canidates.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

If you don't know anything about a subject, when said subject is raised a visit to the shrine of St.Fu or a visit to Backbutton are generally the way to go, rather than pretending you know about said subject, then reacting like a teenage girl when called upon your lack of knowledge. Y'see, I know **** all about Canadian politics, besides what would seem to be a dislike for Hollywood dynasties, and Alan Alda being in charge of you all, so I haven't waded into anyone with ignorant, sweeping statements.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

And plus both the History and Politics are boring quite frankly.

Nonsense! Lots of exciting historical things have happened in Canada! Like... Errrrrrrrrr... The New Avengers In Canada?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
RID Scourge

Re: Well, Our new Prime Minister didn't take to long to destroy the country (Canada)

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
2: Harper just met with the Priemier of Quebec and is essentially giving them the power of a seperate country in the UN. This is akin to the first step to seperation (other than Quebec has the second highest debt load in the country and contributes next to nothing). I cannot fathom this move. He wants Quebec to have their own dealings with other contries, seperate from Canada - own taxes and everything.

He is, essentally, trying to split off the country - and doesn't really care about the maritimes.

Question to help me get up to speed: If Quebec is the "The fiercly independant and bit of a whiney brat french provence" that you describe them as, what is the significance of giving them the boot. If they're that much of a pain in the arse, then who cares if they go?

BTW, what are the maritimes?
optihut
Protoform

Re: Re: Well, Our new Prime Minister didn't take to long to destroy the country (Cana

Post by optihut »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
Question to help me get up to speed: If Quebec is the "The fiercly independant and bit of a whiney brat french provence" that you describe them as, what is the significance of giving them the boot. If they're that much of a pain in the arse, then who cares if they go?

BTW, what are the maritimes?
Despite Cliffjumpers advice, I'll chime in with what little I know: Quebec is the province east of Ontario, so if that were to become an independent state, it would split Canada in two parts as the maritimes - that's a name which refers to the provinces New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia - is even farther east of Quebec. While it would seem sensible to get rid of the independant and whiney brat province, nobody likes to give up power. So for the same reason that Texas doesn't split from the USA, it would be unwise to allow Quebec to split from Canada.
"Negativity creates nothing!" The Colonel, Orguss 02