X-box 2 specs leaked

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

X-box 2 specs leaked

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/micros....html?fromint=1

Three core 3 GHz PowerPC CPU.
500 MHz next-gen ATI GPU.
A bunch of other stuff, but no HDDVD or BluRay.

More revealed!
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/595/595535p1.html

Highlights:

Significantly smaller. Smaller than the original PS2. "Organic" shape.

Optional 2.5" hard disk drive will enable backward compatibility with original Xbox games. (Space undecided.)

64 meg to 1 gig memory cards. (8 megs reserved for system use.) Slots on console, not controllers. Headsets still connect to controllers.

Wireless controller support built-in. Corded controllers also supported. Black and white buttons replaced by two additional shoulder buttons.

Two controller ports and one USB port. (Multitaps to be announced?)

The thing I don't like about it is there's no Hard drive. That's gonna make piracy tough. :p
Bluestreaker
Protoform

Post by Bluestreaker »

Specs don't mean much if there's no good games besides Halo 75
Shockmeister
Protoform

Post by Shockmeister »

Specs don't mean squat. Period.

Wake me up when the Head Cheeses at Sony, Microsoft et al decide to tell us how their next creation looks, what the design of the controller is, what games are definitely confirmed...or, simply put, something that matters.
Sig-image by DrEvil. He rules...
"I was given a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler." - Jack Kirby's WW2 experience.
Bluestreaker
Protoform

Post by Bluestreaker »

I'm actually more excited about Nintendo's Revolution, especially with HAL Labs plugging away at a secret project.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'm hoping that the wireless controllers will also allow you to plug in a headset. I have a wireless one right now that has the memory card/headset plug in the receiver on the Xbox, so I can't use a headset and a wireless controller at the same time.

Glad they're moving the black and white buttons. They're just not positioned very well right now.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Bluestreaker
Specs don't mean much if there's no good games besides Halo 75

The Xbox has plenty of great games besides Halo.
Bluestreaker
Protoform

Post by Bluestreaker »

Originally posted by Zisteau
The Xbox has plenty of great games besides Halo.

I was being rather tongue and cheek, but since you mention it what good games does the x-box have exclusively ?
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I was being rather tongue and cheek, but since you mention it what good games does the x-box have exclusively ?

thats not exactly fair, afterall i cant name many ps2 exclusive games thare are good that dont have the words Final, Fantasy and roman numerals in the name.

xbox arent known for their good solid exclusive games, theyre known for the fact that their versions of the games are generally of a higher standard than the versions of the ps2 and gc

when it comes to exclusive games, nintendo rule the roost with all their first party games, its just a shame that their 3rd party situation is so poor at the moment.

ok heres a question...

if 1st party are in house (as in things like retro studios for metroid) and 3rd party is outside producers (like capcom etc).... is there a "2nd" part, if so whats the definition, as ive never heard anything mentioned as far as 2nd party...
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Originally posted by CounterPunch

ok heres a question...

if 1st party are in house (as in things like retro studios for metroid) and 3rd party is outside producers (like capcom etc).... is there a "2nd" part, if so whats the definition, as ive never heard anything mentioned as far as 2nd party...

I thought that allways aplied to companies who are partially funded by the first party and produce exclusively for that party and are allowed to use the property of the 1st party, ie like Rare with Nintendo making Donkey Kong games.

Though i maybe wrong but thats the only instanmcei can think of.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Bluestreaker
Protoform

Post by Bluestreaker »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
thats not exactly fair, afterall i cant name many ps2 exclusive games thare are good that dont have the words Final, Fantasy and roman numerals in the name.

xbox arent known for their good solid exclusive games, theyre known for the fact that their versions of the games are generally of a higher standard than the versions of the ps2 and gc

when it comes to exclusive games, nintendo rule the roost with all their first party games, its just a shame that their 3rd party situation is so poor at the moment.

ok heres a question...

How I understand it, 2nd party is a contracted company that produces exclusive games, but is not owned in anyway by the major company.
Bluestreaker
Protoform

Post by Bluestreaker »

How I understand it, 2nd party is a contracted company that produces exclusive games, but is not owned in anyway by the major company.

Edit: I don't know how i missed esca's post... :rolleyes:

Double Edit: Nothing like hitting the quote button when you thought you hit the edit button!
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

Looks like Microsoft got lumbered with turkey with buying Rare.
The thing with the current three consoles is, PS2 and X-box don't do it for me, X-box can't survive on Halo forever and both have the same library of games. PS2's DVD hardware isn't top of the range anymore (not that it ever was) and it affects the console area the visuals have never touched upon those tech demoes from ages ago.
It seems only Nintendo got the hardware right, they never announced it's full specs only the in game performance they never bothered with tech demos only actual game demos, both Rainbow Six and Luigis mansion were at the time astonishing. That is what really counts, the stuff I have seen in games like Resident Evil 4 (soon to be on PS2 though with minor visual sacrifices) and Star Wars Rouge Leader and Metroid Prime have really been impressive.
Though the hadware sales look low Nintendo at least they met their targets and still do well in software sales.
I am pretty sure Gamecube has alot of life in it yet.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Speaking of Gamecube, I just heard that someone released a 7 wire chip so you can mod it. I guess hackers are just cutting the top of the cube off so they can fit regular sized DVDs. Man, there's just no stopping piracy. Arrrrr matey!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Having multiplatform games with only a few stellar exclusives isn't exactly a problem when the multiplatform games perform their best on the console and you have online gaming advantages only PC gamers can come close to touching.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Halo, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing, Fable, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowwind, 3 Splinter Cell games, Jet Set Radio Future, Knights of the Old Republic, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Ninja Gaiden, Breakdown, the Dead or Alive games, Otogi 1 and 2, Steel Battalion, Crimson Skies, plus the upcoming Jade Empire and Conker: Live and Reloaded.

That enough?

(I discounted PC releases as thats a quite different market from the console wars)
Bluestreaker
Protoform

Post by Bluestreaker »

Originally posted by Zisteau
Halo, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing, Fable, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowwind, 3 Splinter Cell games, Jet Set Radio Future, Knights of the Old Republic, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Ninja Gaiden, Breakdown, the Dead or Alive games, Otogi 1 and 2, Steel Battalion, Crimson Skies, plus the upcoming Jade Empire and Conker: Live and Reloaded.

That enough?

(I discounted PC releases as thats a quite different market from the console wars)

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything man, I was quite serious. Splinter Cell is on all the other systems as well ;)

Even counting games that are on the PC as xbox exclusives, that doesn't come close to the kind of exclusive content that the cube or ps2 have. And I guess that's why I see the xbox as not really having much of anything to offer...
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything man, I was quite serious. Splinter Cell is on all the other systems as well ;)

The Splinter Cells were only on Xbox for long enough to make them exclusives, like GTA being a PS exclusive that eventually got ported to XBOX.
Even counting games that are on the PC as xbox exclusives, that doesn't come close to the kind of exclusive content that the cube or ps2 have. And I guess that's why I see the xbox as not really having much of anything to offer...
The cube has a bunch of kiddy games (some of which are admittedly quite good), but really nothing close to the XBOX, especially considering the Xbox's online content. And I find myself buying at least as many Xbox games as PS2 games, so I'm not sure what mountain of exclusive content you're talking about.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

5 entries found for exclusive.
ex·clu·sive Audio pronunciation of "exclusive" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-sklsv)
adj.

3. Not divided or shared with others: exclusive publishing rights.

Just wanted to point that out....
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Meh. I wont be getting it since MGS4 is coming out for ps3. I will stay with Sony as long as Metal Gear Games are still being made for it.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Shrapnel Clone
5 entries found for exclusive.
ex·clu·sive Audio pronunciation of "exclusive" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-sklsv)
adj.

3. Not divided or shared with others: exclusive publishing rights.

Just wanted to point that out....

Yes, but in a marketing sense, if one company has exclusive rights to a property for a decent amount of time (like a year or so for the GTA games) before the other companies getting a crack at it, that is a huge boon in terms of sales of consoles and games, so in a loose sense, GTA, for instance, is exclusive to PS2.