• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2018-02-07, 06:58 PM   #1
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland
Default Lost Light #14

And we're back...

Always nice to get a quick turnaround on 2 issues so this comes pretty quick after issue 13. The focus is on the scavengers and my guess is we are a strong pulling of all the threads together. There's a lot of callbacks in this issue to previous stuff. Not everything gets out-right explained yet but we get a good idea of whats been going on. Things are a little exposition heavy and the last major info dump felt like a spoon fed too many though, but the script and pace is good overall.

Art is a step down from last issue for my taste. It's no way a badly drawn issue, just not a style I've ever really enjoyed. I grew to see it as part of the charm of All are One but not certain it fits with the cramped writing Roberts scripts can bring.

Very enjoyable issue overall, lots of mystery to mull over. Lost Light is starting to feel like it has a more focused run coming up and here's hoping we are in for a whopper grand finale over the next few months and years. From the looks of it, this is either feeding into or maybe even the start of the main end game.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 09:13 PM   #2
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Just got the last four issues on Amazon... yeah, it feels more focused. Not terribly keen on all of the mind wipes, distance having no meaning, etc, but am enjoying it again.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-08, 12:55 PM   #3
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Just got the last four issues on Amazon... yeah, it feels more focused. Not terribly keen on all of the mind wipes, distance having no meaning, etc, but am enjoying it again.
I think that while it's still quite dense in terms of dialogue, it doesnt feel as rushed. The first 6 issues of Lost Light really felt like Roberts was trying to cram in everything he planned even if the right answer was to maybe drop some things and just leave them be. The alternate universe doesnt improve when read as a whole which is unusual and a pretty good indication that it didnt work. It worked through issues faster than Star Trekiscovery (and thats fast)

Old 2018-02-08, 04:02 PM   #4
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Just seen that Lost Light 15 has Brendan Cahill on full art duties...

YAAAAAAASSSS!!!

Old 2018-02-13, 01:00 PM   #5
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

Wow, that was a superb issue. There’s never been a bad Scavengers story has there? Perhaps because they’re so tightly confined to an issue or two, they have to move fast and the banter is usually great.

Very surprised by the ending, but surely there’s a trick to what we’ve seen? Its brilliantly brutal, but it would leave so many questions about Spinister and co. I also love the extra DJD panels. Always time for Tarn

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-16, 06:33 PM   #6
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Still a bit under the weather, so as a quick summing up:

Nice.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-16, 06:42 PM   #7
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Cool

I love the way Shockwave had to get himself out of that situation. I especially like little extra details that feature every now and then; like Springer's eyes described as Matrix Blue in the Zero Point text story, or here, where Tarn describes Shockwave's spark as being so old: "... Little more than an echo of light". Gorgeous!

Old 2018-03-02, 10:40 PM   #8
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Question

I've seen murmurings around that Lost Light may be winding down. No idea if this is true, but will there be enough time to resolve all the things that are hanging and seemingly of little importance?

- As Unicron (the poster) mentioned in one thread; Ore poofed back to Cybertron with the Metrotitan. This happened in the MTMTE Annual. Does this mean Ore is alive and well?

- When the Legislators attacked the Lost Light there's a panel where one of them has grabbed the Medical droid and crushed it a bit. Is this the same medical droid that had developed a 'thing' for Lockstock and Spoke? Now that Ten has been confirmed as having sentience, and a soul (something Tyrest denied the Legislators had), does this also apply to the Medial droid?

- Will we ever see Spoke & Lockstock? I've been waiting AGES for this one!

- Kaon was really worried about his pet Turbofox who is actually Dominus Ambus. Will this bit ever get more explanation?

- Spinister being a Ratchet-level medic who can write instructions to a non-Medic on how to reverse Lobotomies.

- A character mentioned Rung might have been a Decepticon in the past.

- Does Magnus/Minimus know Tarn/Glitch very well? And if so was making Dominus into a mad dog a really sick way of getting at him?

- Where are the guys who used to regularly post in MTMTE threads: Zigzagger, Knightdramon etc. They were good, did they fall off the Earth?

And so many more. These are just a few bits and pieces I'd love to see a resolution to before it ends/it never ends.

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2018-03-02 at 11:31 PM.
Old 2018-03-02, 11:14 PM   #9
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The current IDW continuity is ending after Unicron (the character, not the poster) has his event, and Lost Light is very likely (though no firm confirmation of anything beyond a Hasbro guy promising a reboot on a podcast) ending with issue 25.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 11:30 PM   #10
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Unhappy

Ouch! If true that really sucks. MTMTE has been a great constant over the last half-dozen years, its monthly turnaround makes it feel half that!

I'm glad James has been the writer all this time, and no IDW muppet has come in and messed with his stories... you know, other than the stupid crossovers and the 'NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN' grandstanding issues that return a status quo.

So Lost Light and the IDW-verse will end shortly after the Bumblebee movie. Wonder if Transformers will go into a hibernation after this?

Old 2018-03-03, 08:33 AM   #11
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
Ouch! If true that really sucks. MTMTE has been a great constant over the last half-dozen years, its monthly turnaround makes it feel half that!

I'm glad James has been the writer all this time, and no IDW muppet has come in and messed with his stories... you know, other than the stupid crossovers and the 'NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN' grandstanding issues that return a status quo.

So Lost Light and the IDW-verse will end shortly after the Bumblebee movie. Wonder if Transformers will go into a hibernation after this?
I certainly will. The series has done well overall and has covered a lot of ground but a more fresh take should be done. I know that runs the risk of maybe not being as successful but I dont think they can rejig G1 again unless it's a massively different tone.

And yeah, it's great that roberts ran the whole run on MTMTE/LL. As an idea dalek, a book interview reviewing the series with insights as to what was planned / cut/ changed etc. could be your book project after volume 3 is done. I still have that script you sent me for issue 6 and its a wonderful read to see how things changed.

Old 2018-06-08, 09:52 AM   #12
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

I finally caught up with this issue! I was big on collecting the whole run physically, even more so now that the end is in sight. Unfortunately, after I moved to Japan it looked unlikely and I became tempted to move over to digital.

Now, though, I've found a shop in Osaka whose top floor is all transformers. Is it months behind? Yes. Are the prices marked up to double what I'd pay in a UK comic store? Absolutely. Am I going to let that put me off? Hell no! I might go digital to catch up on my reading, but I'm pretty hopeful I can finish my collection physically. Huzzah!

As for the story itself, not much to say as it asked a hell of a lot more than it answered. The finale was pretty damp, though. I know Roberts is no stranger to fake-out death cliffhangers, but when the next issue advert is literally on the next page showing all the Scavengers alive and well it's beyond a joke, y'know?

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-12, 08:33 PM   #13
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Summerhayes! Yay! I hope you are well and enjoying the Japan

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote