How Will the Movie Change Our Perception of the TF's

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

How Will the Movie Change Our Perception of the TF's

Post by Commander Shockwav »

How do you think the movie will impact us, the hardcore fans?

The biggest influence it will have, I think, will be for the first time we will think of Transformers as robots, fully metallic, and not as brightly colored comic figures or brightly colored pastel animation. When you think about it, it will be as new for us to see them this way as for the new fan. That's odd.

Secondly, I think we will have mixed feelings. On the one hand, we will be elated by the newfound attention the movie will bring to our favorite bots, but on the other hand, we will feel violated by the newbies who will have no such history with the TF's as we have. It will feel like someone trespassed on our garden of posies and just started trampling on them.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Kinda random...does this need to be in a news and rumours section?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I don't really think it does. Maybe it could fit into the ongoing movie thread, but rather than risk a discussion topic that could be interesting being lost in there, I'll move this to G1...

MOVED
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
the first time we will think of Transformers as robots
Ever visualise how a vehicle would transform as a kid? That's the sense of size that was completely lacking in Dreamwave's attempt to convey it by starting almost every full-body shot from the perspective of feet.

Prime is massive.
on the other hand, we will feel violated by the newbies who will have no such history with the TF's as we have. It will feel like someone trespassed on our garden of posies and just started trampling on them.
http://www.stopspam.org/faqs/endlesssept.html
Grand Scorpion
Protoform

Post by Grand Scorpion »

That's a beautiful article, Denyer. heh

The new movie won't change how I view TFs anymore than Beast Machines changed how I view TFs or Cybertron. I'm pretty set in how I view them, and if the new movie comes out and alters that, then it will be just another Alt-Universe tale. It will probably be treated as such anyway, even if it is very good, because movies tend to forge their own continuities, and that's cool, too.

I never imagined TFs solely as ink on paper or paint on cels.I've always tried to see them and huge metallic aliens. I think it's that kind of thinking that pushes us as fans. We strive to make them more real and more believable than what we were given in the offcial media. Hopefully, rather than being anything shocking, the movie will be a realization of those hopes.

Personally, I don't mind all of the newbies arriving when a new show comes out. It was like that when Beast Wars first aired, and not only did it bring in new minds and new perspectives, but it also brough alot of prodigal Transfans home. People who had followed TF since 1984, but had never thought to look for TF stuff online, showed up and made the fandom richer.

The newbies aren't so bad, as long as they aren't trolls. Perhaps I'm part teacher, but there's something in me that loves to share TF with someone for the first time. I like to be the guy who first shows the newbie the UK comics or the Japanese cartoons.

Before Beast Wars came out I was the TF sage for by girlfriend's little brother and his friends, as well as my nephews and their friends. Those kids all got to see the full run of G1 before Beast Wars came out, and in turn got to share that info with their friends at school when Beast Wars was in full swing, becoming the TF sages to their age group. So, teaching newbies can be alot of fun.

It's also fun to smack the trolls around and send 'em packing. There are two types of TF Newbies: the ignorant and the idiots. The ignorant are just those who don't know about TF. They just need to have information shared with them, and eventually grow into productive members of the TF Community. The idiots, on the other hand, don't care about getting new info or learning new things about TF. Instead, they just wanna cause strife and mouth off constantly. They never contribute anything worthwhile, and in fact, tend to take away from the overall enjoyment of the community.

It's the idiots that most fans fear will come when the new movie is released, and no doubt some will show up, on every site, but don't begrudge the ignorant, because they only seek new info on a hobby they are interested in. They're newborn Transfans, our protoforms, if you will, and they can become great Transfans in time. I can't count how many immature, "dumb kids", have shown up at TF sites, and after awhile mature into profound thinkers when it comes to the TF mythos. A little patience with those guys goes a long way.

So, I guess that no matter what I look forward to the new movie and what it will bring. I hope it spawns tons of fans. I think the fandom needs alot of new blood introduced. Things have dwindled down alot since Beast Machines & RiD. Hopefully those Transfans we lost after Beast Wars was cancelled will come back home, as well.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

I can picture it now
"dunno if this is the right thread to post this in but Transformers fans are sad." or "How dare they demean the classic series with such a crappy film." or "Great film! Much better then the old cartoon!" or "Where the hell does the film fit into the series?"
Should have seen Hompage of the Dead after Dawn remake came out, alot of newbies with one post that was always in the wrong forum some were idiots that were just looking for a moan, others wasted time particualrly one guy who posted the same comment in every thread and post he made.
But for every ten of them there could be one new fan who's gained interest and provide unique views on transformers in general.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Cliffjumper

Re: How Will the Movie Change Our Perception of the TF's

Post by Cliffjumper »

The biggest influence it will have, I think, will be for the first time we will think of Transformers as robots, fully metallic, and not as brightly colored comic figures or brightly colored pastel animation. When you think about it, it will be as new for us to see them this way as for the new fan. That's odd.
Apart from the fact some of "we" [cheers for that, I might have expressed my own thoughts, so thanks for saving me the effort] don't rely entirely on the comics and cartoons etc. to visualise Transformers in our mind's eye.
Secondly, I think we will have mixed feelings. On the one hand, we will be elated by the newfound attention the movie will bring to our favorite bots, but on the other hand, we will feel violated by the newbies who will have no such history with the TF's as we have. It will feel like someone trespassed on our garden of posies and just started trampling on them.

Oh yeh, we were here first, so anyone who sees the movie and gets a bit interested should just **** off our patch. Do what? I have no problems with new fans, I care not for their history. If they can add anything constructive, or even simply learn something, that's fine. I don't see how new posters arriving because of seeing the movie is any different to new ones arriving for Energon. That kind of elitism is probably damaging for the long-term prospects of Transformers fandom.

Incidentally, I don't think we want to presume too much. The movie won't necessarily create hundreds of fans to the level of registering at a bulletin board to ask questions about continuity and the like...
ScourgePrime
Protoform

Post by ScourgePrime »

Speaking of "newbie" transformers-fans...
i was at the mall the other day(sporting my Decepticon tshirt) and as i was walking around, i saw this kid wearing the same shirt.
thought to myself " wow theres another transformers fan.."
so i walked up to him and commented on his shirt, then i asked him who was his favorite Decepticon...
his reply was " i never heard of the Transformers...."
as soon as he said that i began to walk away from
this "wannabe"

its cool if there are people who become transformers fans, BUT
they should at least know something about the 'formers...

-ScourgePrime.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by ScourgePrime
Speaking of "newbie" transformers-fans...
i was at the mall the other day(sporting my Decepticon tshirt) and as i was walking around, i saw this kid wearing the same shirt.
thought to myself " wow theres another transformers fan.."
so i walked up to him and commented on his shirt, then i asked him who was his favorite Decepticon...
his reply was " i never heard of the Transformers...."
as soon as he said that i began to walk away from
this "wannabe"

its cool if there are people who become transformers fans, BUT
they should at least know something about the 'formers...

-ScourgePrime.

You shoulda smacked him.....

Just kidding.....sorta.

:laugh:
Grand Scorpion
Protoform

Post by Grand Scorpion »

I've found that some people use the shirts to signify what kind of drugs they're on or selling at clubs and raves.

I've been aproached by people trying to sell or buy enough that I don't wear my TF shirts anymore when I go out.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Originally posted by Grand Scorpion
I've found that some people use the shirts to signify what kind of drugs they're on or selling at clubs and raves.

I've been aproached by people trying to sell or buy enough that I don't wear my TF shirts anymore when I go out.

What??

That sucks that our favorite bots would be associated with drugs.

I like to think of the Transformers as 'innocent' fun. I mean, 1984 was an innocent time for me, absent all the problems and worries I have today. I don't like their association with the wellknown vices of the world.

Speaking of which, has anyone visited the Don Murphy website? What the hell is up with that guy's language and his X-rated comments? He sounds like a damn sailor who hasn't seen land in years, like in that Waterworld movie.

To be honest, I am now skeptical about this guys approach to the movie. Granted, I want something mature done with it, but at the same time, it must have that "Iron Giant"-kind of attraction for the younger audience, and I'm not sure a man who swears every other word on a public message board, even if it is his, would understand this.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

What??

That sucks that our favorite bots would be associated with drugs.

I like to think of the Transformers as 'innocent' fun. I mean, 1984 was an innocent time for me, absent all the problems and worries I have today. I don't like their association with the wellknown vices of the world.
One word: Blurr.
To be honest, I am now skeptical about this guys approach to the movie. Granted, I want something mature done with it, but at the same time, it must have that "Iron Giant"-kind of attraction for the younger audience, and I'm not sure a man who swears every other word on a public message board, even if it is his, would understand this.

Okay, wait. So just because someone curses, they won't be able to make a decent movie?

You know, I tend to curse a blue streak, but (shockingly enough) I keep it away from situations where it's not appropriate. Besides, I'm sure if you looked into it, you'd find that a lot of children's show hosts curse enough to make Dennis Leary blush.

Anyway, back on topic.

The idea of an influx of new people doesn't really bother me. I figure that things will probably run the way they always have. Forty to fifty percent will wind up being banned, and the rest will either get bored and move on, or become valued members of the community. Sure, we'll probably have to sit through a lot of 'u r so gay' style wit, but in the end it will balance out the way it always does.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

What??
Most ecstasy is stamped with batch logos, for instance—Mickey Mouse ears, four-leaf clovers, that sort of thing. Doesn't surprise that TF logos would be popular. Bit small and fiddly to do, though.

Blotter acid isn't very common these days, but that was usually printed with designs sourced from popular media, too.

The article was partly by way of pointing out that we were those newcomers at the time... okay, most of us actually bloody read FAQs and mastered basic typing, but we were still stumbling over the tech and most internet users who'd been around two or three years before us tended to be almost a generation removed.

In general, I don't think there'll be any more violation than there is now, and that tends to be of the idiots rather than established communities...

edit:
I don't like their association with the wellknown vices of the world.
Er... murder, torture, theft, civil war? Decepticons drunk on energon?
Cassettacon 27
Protoform

Post by Cassettacon 27 »

Hell, I ajusted to Spiderman, I'll ajust to this.
I'm just excited because this'll be the first time I'll see the Transformers on the big screen.

Nuff said.
Joke. Noun. A thing said or done to cause laughter. Something not in earnest or ridiculous.

-Slash
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by Cassettacon 27
Hell, I ajusted to Spiderman, I'll ajust to this.
I'm just excited because this'll be the first time I'll see the Transformers on the big screen.

Nuff said.

You never saw the cartoon movie version?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

At age minus 1? Highly doubt it.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Ooo an intellectual topic! for this board anyway...:p

i've already thought about this, the noobs who are gonna hop on the tf bandwagon when the film comes out are going to annoy me a little, but i've adpted to that due to the abomination that is Armada and Energon... although it will be funny seeing the Armada and Energon kids looking confused when they dont recognise G1 characters in the new film :smokin:

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Globits
Protoform

Post by Globits »

Good or bad the movie won't change how I see the bots, it will be another version of the story to add to mythos. However I do hope that it does justice to what has come before it.
Originally posted by Grand Scorpion:
Before Beast Wars came out I was the TF sage for by girlfriend's little brother and his friends, as well as my nephews and their friends. Those kids all got to see the full run of G1 before Beast Wars came out, and in turn got to share that info with their friends at school when Beast Wars was in full swing, becoming the TF sages to their age group. So, teaching newbies can be alot of fun.

I introduced my younger brother to the G1 transformers when beast wars aired, he now hunts for takara episodes, old comics and figures ect well worth the effort.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
At age minus 1? Highly doubt it.

Well, I kinda meant on DVD or VHS.

Silly.............
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Kup1
Well, I kinda meant on DVD or VHS.
And Cassettacon 27 was kinda talking about seeing Transformers on big screen.

Silly...