Japanese series names

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
angloconvoy

Japanese series names

Post by angloconvoy »

We all know by now that in the translation from Japanese to english, the translators tried unsuccessfully to replace the Japanese names with the Western names. I've noticed that this has caused a fair bit of confusion to the fans who are new to tf or who aren't entirely familiar with the later releases. I was thinking it would be an idea to list all of the names used in the translation, the actual western names, and the japanese names. I reckon between us we could manage this, but before we go ahead I thought I'd check if anyone knows of any FAQ type thing that has already done this. If not, when we're all done with this topic one of us could type one up.

------------------
Image January gathering
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Do you mean the names in the dubs, or the Japanese names?

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Another day out with the boys - just me, Chaos and Mayhem - I love this job!"
"I'm Godzilla, you're Tokyo!"
"You haven't been where I have at all, so who are you to judge?"
"What am I, an idiot magnet?"
"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
Walk a mile in my shoes, then criticise the way I am.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

tis tricky, mein freund. As it can only really apply upto and including Headmasters, as most chars from then on are actually distinctly different entities.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Unless you're Ryan Zquiero and most of your traffic is too stupid to work out that that guy the same shape as Scorponok but a totally different colour is actually emant to be someone else... BUT HE DIOES IT FOR F*~CKING MINERVA!

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

That was what I had in mind, a kin of explanation of the character and who the are in the west (if they exist) and who they are in japan and how the character differs from its western counterpart. It would be tricky I know, but I reckon there might be some that would appreciate it

------------------
Image January gathering
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I've covered lots of it, one way or another, in the Japanese Series section of my site...

------------------