In the comic, Life Spark DOES become Cyclonus!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

In the comic, Life Spark DOES become Cyclonus!

Post by Cliffjumper »

Been meaning to post this for a while. Basically a few people said this was a little uncertain, due to the phrasing of the words, and life spark was simply a concept, rather than a name. Well, from the comic itself:-

Cyclonus: "Once I lay like you: battered, defeated... close to death. Until Unicron took what had once been Life Spark... Restoring him and sculpting him... into Cyclonus!"

The 'him' parts prove it beyond all doubt. Life Spark obviously is, or rather was, Cyclonus.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

And witch comic is this, exactly?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Transformers #79, pages 5-6.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Gotta check that out.
Computron

Post by Computron »

but Furman has said that Life Spark was meant to be a transformers lifespark that he pencilled in and wasn't altered by the time the comic was published
I support a ban on powerposting
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ah, but in the final comic, it comes out as stating that Life Spark became Cyclonus. The wording is explicit - if Furman had later said the guy Unicron picked up and ate in On the Edge of Extinction was meant to be Jazz, not Brainstorm, and it just didn't get altered before it was printed it wouldn't cut much ice, would it?
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Personally, I've always just chalked it up to a dab of artsiness in excluding the arbitrary article... (Whoa, I hadn't realized I was so alliterative.)
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Could someone provide a link, please?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

They're at Transfans. I don't have the URL but to to Comics > UK Comics > Issue 79
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

That be exactly the point I've made. The usage of the word "he" removes all hint of ambiguity.

Sure, it may not be what he meant to write... but he did, and there is nothing anywhere else within the comic continuity to contradict it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Exactly. Writers often say they had different ideas about some work after the event, it doesn't change what they actually produced... I mean, I doubt it was Flint Dille's intention to contradict Heavy Metal War with FFoD's Megatron creation scene, but if he came out now and said that the robots around him were meant to be Reflector-bots or something, it wouldn't change the fact that on screen they're the Constructicons...

I hadn't actually read Target: 2006 for a month or so until I flicked thru it yesterday, and I just thought it was worth clarifying. I believe that one is quite indisputable.
Osku
Protoform

Re: In the comic, Life Spark DOES become Cyclonus!

Post by Osku »

Actually it´s in #80
Originally posted by Quicksilver
Been meaning to post this for a while. Basically a few people said this was a little uncertain, due to the phrasing of the words, and life spark was simply a concept, rather than a name. Well, from the comic itself:-

Cyclonus: "Once I lay like you: battered, defeated... close to death. Until Unicron took what had once been Life Spark... Restoring him and sculpting him... into Cyclonus!"

The 'him' parts prove it beyond all doubt. Life Spark obviously is, or rather was, Cyclonus.
About your quote. You can´t say for sure that it´s written "Life Spark" not "life spark". But if the "he" pronomine (I still don´t understand English perfectly) affirms it, I have no further complaining. Why didn´t you use that argument last time we discussed this :p

How does Life Spark as an individual fit in the comic continuity? That was my second point. I think you considered movie a part of the comic continuity? There´s a little contradiction.
As you know it´s clear that either Skywarp or Bombshell is reformatted into Cyclonus . (People, don´t start that argument in this thread!) Or could Cyclonus be Bombshell´s clone called Life Spark? :D
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

I've just took a look at that, and all I've got to say is...

Now we've got to decide between three people when it comes to deciding who Cyclonus was?!

EESH! As it if wasn't hard enough already!:mad:
LordSixshot
Protoform

Post by LordSixshot »

Y'know, I'm sure it actually reads something like:

Cyclonus: "Once I lay like you: battered, defeated... close to death. Until Unicron took what had once been Bombshell... Restoring him and sculpting him... into Cyclonus!"

You're not going to take me alive on this one. There was no one called Life Spark, so how could they have become Cyclonus? You can rule out things in the cartoon that don't make sense as animation errors easily enough. Why can't this be ignored too? Just because nothing was ever said to suggest otherwise doesn't mean it isn't a pile of poo. It's obviously a mistake, a mistake I tells ya.
They did play him. Not much happened.
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

Cut ice?
RID Scourge

Re: Re: In the comic, Life Spark DOES become Cyclonus!

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Osku
As you know it´s clear that either Skywarp or Bombshell is reformatted into Cyclonus.
I assume that in the movie, it's Bombshell because Cyclonus would logically be in the front when being introduced, just like Scourge was in the front. As for the seeker, how do you know it wasn't Thundercracker. There's no way of knowing which one was which because you don't get to see their color scheme.

With this doubt, we now have 4 possibilities. Who is Lifespark anyway?
Denyer

Personally...

Post by Denyer »

...I'd opt for Pratchettian-style stuff written In Important Capitals. Ergo, life spark indicates nothing distinctive of the former TF remained.
Halfshell

Re: Re: In the comic, Life Spark DOES become Cyclonus!

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Osku
I think you considered movie a part of the comic continuity?
Nope.

The events of the Movie are referred to obliquely. The actual as-happens events can't occur for numerous reasons (Ratbat being dead, Megatron possibly having a different body, blah blah).

Certain parts of the Movie are directly linked in by reference or flashback, but never really expanded on.

What we know: Starscream chucked Megs into space, where he was changed into Galvatron by Unicron. The planet guzzler also created Cyclonus and Scourge, before attacking Cybertron and being stopped when Hot Rod opened the Matrix, became Rodimus Prime, and hurled Galvy into space.

Other points worth noting:
- In the cinematic version, there isn't really opportunity for Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge to timejump, nor for Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr to follow them.
- In the Megatron reformation flashbacks (US #78), there is no sign of any other Decepticon, even in the wide angle shots. No Bombshell, no Skywarp, no anybody.
- Galvatron timejumps almost immediately after being thrown from Unicron... certainly before the point where he vanishes from view in the Movie.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Cheers Brend. Yup, that's the basics. The Rodimus Prime future includes only some of the events of the Movie script - the animated version does not fit into the UK comic continuity. As for where Life Spark, even in the UK comic continuity, we basically have a 14 or so year gap between the present day stuff [I know, Prime's Rib and AoE: Shockwave, but that's hardly a comprehensive storyline] during which anything could happen. Add into this the sheer amount of characters who turn up over the years from nowhere [including the likes of Thunderwing & Nightbeat], and I don't find it too hard to believe that a Decepticon named Life Spark managed to go without appearing in anything else.
Halfshell

Of course...

Post by Halfshell »

... the point that I feel compelled to make is: Does it matter who he used to be?

The truth of the matter is this: Everybody obsesses over who became Cyclonus, but it doesn't change the simple fact that he died excrutiating deaths due to his own inherent stupidity in not one, but TWO different realities...

Does anybody ever argue about who became Scourge in the comics? Does anybody ever get worked up about whether the Sweeps did the ol' switcheroo at some point? Nope. And where does it get us? To the fact that Scourge always survived. And had a daft goatee and pink fingernails.

Rock on.