Silly TPB question... [inc Eugenesis / Kindle World discussion]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Silly TPB question... [inc Eugenesis / Kindle World discussion]

Post by Knightdramon »

This past week my copy of MTMTE Volume 5 TPB arrived.

Between a LSOTW hardback, a dark cybertron prequel TPB [the spotlight stories with pax etc] and the 5 volumes of MTMTE, I think I've got almost everything Roberts penned...

Except those two Chaos Theory Stories, Ongoing 22 and 23.

Which TPB are these two in? Bookdepository doesn't specify the individual issues in their TPBS [for the ongoing] so there's a lot of guesswork involved, and I sincerely don't want to end up with more ongoing issues than I have use for.

Furthermore, was Eugenesis published? I think I recall Denyer or dalek having a copy at AA2013...is my memory correct? Is that book still in stock/print somewhere?

:up:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The Roberts two parter is in Transformers Volume 5: Chaos Theory. Or if you want to get it as part of a fancy lar de dah hardback it's in volume 8 of the IDW Collection series. Warning: both contain Costa.

Eugenesis I think you're out of luck on, extremely small self published run (I think I read somewhere once 300 copies?) coupled with selling to the sort of people least likely to want to part with it makes it unlikely to pop up on Ebay very often. You just need Denyer to fall on hard times so he has no choice but to sell his copy.

Mind, Roberts did talk a couple of AA's ago about trying to get the book out there again, so never say never, even if finding the time and now being an official author are likely to be firm constraints on getting fan fic out there.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'm sure you know, but perhaps others reading this may not, that you can download Eugenesis here.

Mr. Dalek, didn't you give away Chaos Theory, signed and in original comic book format, to the winner of your Christmas competition?

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
inflatable dalek

I did indeed, though that was a slightly jokey present as they were signed to Stuart and almost of no use to anyone not called Stuart (don't worry if you're reading this Ryan, I haven't forgotten, still waiting on your last prize).

I now have the hardback signed by not just Roberts but Milne as well with an ickle Optimus Prime sketch by him also. Based on his jetlagged inability to comprehend the name Stuart I suspect the poor sod was regretting doing those little sketches on everything he signed by the end of the first day.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Auntie Slag wrote:I'm sure you know, but perhaps others reading this may not, that you can download Eugenesis here.
Yup, I've got a digital copy from our site. Some advertising for younger members/folk skimming through the boards is never a bad thing ;)

Thanks for the reply dalek, will look into trying to acquire that next.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'd imagine if James Roberts wanted to do another publishing run of Eugenesis then he would first pore through the text making grammatical changes. The version on TF Archive has a fair few errors ('their' instead of 'they're' and so on), and I'm probably wrong but I swear I saw some actual spelling mistakes in there too.

That doesn't stop Eugenesis being anything less than a belter of a story, but I could imagine a guy of his nature... once he'd make a start on it, he'd go to town and perhaps more changes would ensue. It must be a big job, and who knows if he has the time to do it, what with writing MTMTE, all those TPB's of the old Marvel issues, signing stuff for Dalek and god knows what else.

Also, there's lots of fiction Roberts wrote for TMUK. Do you have that too? I'm referring to Telefunken and other stories. Death's Head (the poster) knows where a lot of that stuff is, he was also a writer for the group.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Knightdramon wrote: was Eugenesis published? I think I recall Denyer or dalek having a copy at AA2013...is my memory correct? Is that book still in stock/print somewhere?
It was never really what you'd call "in print" in the sense of being distributed; self-published, no ISBN. 100 copies IIRC. There are minor differences between the print version and electronic copies, but (again IIRC) they're in the vein of references to units of time.

Limited run unofficial printing would be no more of an IP issue than artists at conventions selling prints and sketches, or official creators doing fan comics... just more noticeable and less expected; plus showing up official material tends to be a surefire way to piss off employers.

One way would be if Hasbro participated in Kindle Worlds with the TF brand;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1001197421

And this is more likely than you might think -- they've already very recently signed up GI Joe. I'd be surprised if Transformers didn't follow at some point, subject to it not being a complete cluster**** experience for them. It's more likely than MLP.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... -Announces
“Since 1964, G.I. JOE has inspired the imagination of multiple generations by providing a backdrop of excitement and adventure. Whether exploring the secrets of the mummy’s tomb, or defending freedom from the evil plots of COBRA, G.I. JOE has been there,” said Michael Kelly, Hasbro’s Director of Global Publishing. “It is with equal excitement that Hasbro now enters a new segment of the business by embracing the concept of open-source storytelling, and officially unlocking the world of G.I. JOE to our fans through Amazon’s Kindle Worlds.”

The new licensing agreement comes at a historic time for the G.I. JOE brand, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2014, since the first G.I. JOE action figure was released in 1964. It has become one of Hasbro’s most enduring and recognizable brands with toys, comics, TV series, films and video games. With the launch of the G.I. JOE World, writers will be able to publish their own original fiction starring iconic G.I. JOE characters like DUKE, SNAKE EYES, and COBRA COMMANDER, and sell their work on Amazon.com.
The only real sticking point to edit around would be Death's Head, wouldn't it?

If you wanted to DIY in the meantime you could probably get it past Lulu or one of the other POD publishers by not making a public sale page, as I know people have done for out-of-print comics.

Subject to having more time than anticipated, somewhere on my to-do list is learning how to use LaTeX and making a decent stab at formatting Eugen and an unpublished book by Iain Hotchkies.
inflatable dalek

Without wishing to go all Wikileaks, nor to tell tales out of school, someone who would be very much in the know told me a few months ago that the Classics UK book that will contain Time Wars may well feature something formally unofficial that, though not Eugenesis, is related to the general subject of this thread (or at least Roberts was keen to include it at the time he spoke to this fine fellow).

God, it's annoying when people do that isn't it? Though by staying vague, if it doesn't happen I can just point at any old thing contained in that collection and pretend it was what I was talking about and say "Can't you see how that connects to this thread? Only really clever people can spot it".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Give us a clue... and by that I mean did you mean "formerly unofficial" ?
inflatable dalek

It would be something that I don't believe has ever been made available online.

EDIT: Slightly misread what you said there, all I meant by formally unofficial is that if it got reprinted in full in a fully licensed TF book it's been retroactively approved by Hasbro, even if just in the sense "We have no problem with this existing with something with our name on it". What I should have said is "May well feature something that would become formally unofficial..."

And that's all the cock teasing I shall do, for I am not a whore.

Unless people want to throw money at me for it.

Knowing how red hot my nose for news is James Roberts is probably (and that's an elastic use of the word probably) reading this and thinking "What the **** is he talking about?"...
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Telefunken? I still remember the first time I read that (it was the prologue to "the Prime Sacrifice" fanzine) and my jaw just hung open. His prose style is magnificent, and I do hope we get some more text stories in MTMTE.
Also, there's lots of fiction Roberts wrote for TMUK. Do you have that too? I'm referring to Telefunken and other stories. Death's Head (the poster) knows where a lot of that stuff is, he was also a writer for the group.
There was a TMUK "Complete Works" CD-ROM doing the rounds some years back but shamefully I don't have it. His author page at the Underbase ( http://theunderbase.co.uk/wiki.asp?db=t ... %20Roberts ) lists a few stories but not all of them are online. Still, there's a bit to get stuck in to!
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

inflatable dalek wrote:I did indeed, though that was a slightly jokey present as they were signed to Stuart and almost of no use to anyone not called Stuart (don't worry if you're reading this Ryan, I haven't forgotten, still waiting on your last prize).
That's fine, I was thinking of changing my name to Stuart, anyway. This was just the clincher :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

So this actually happened. Significant because it's going on despite their being other active licence-holders and the output isn't really commercial.

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-JOE-Adventure ... 00U9S7QQE/

http://joebattlelines.com/2015/11/23/an ... winner-is/

http://pulse.hasbro.com/en-us/news/arti ... _selection

https://kindleworlds.amazon.com/world/G ... e_ug_GIJOE
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The only thing I can think Dalek might be alluding to is the thing about the giant mechanical sheep.