Rereading Dark Cybertron

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Bumblemus Prime

Rereading Dark Cybertron

Post by Bumblemus Prime »

Finally broke down and got the hardcover to complete my MTMTE run in trade. About halfway through.

Now I can appreciate most of the small bits written by Roberts--the lovely sequence where the Rodpod flies through Metroplex's guts is fun, and the LL crew's interactions are mostly on point. But it seems the plot came mostly from Barber, and his weird obsession with titans who do inexplicable things. "The Necrotitan rises, and ejaculates a waves of zombie robot stuff. Orion, Rodimus, Cyclonus & Hardhead wander through the Dead Universe to get close to its "center." There's some kind of measurable objective for Barber's stories, but I never get it, and I suspect this is why my main memory of this story is "Shockwave wants to do something dumb."
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

No, it's still terrible. The best you can say is it gets less terrible as it goes along.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Bumblemus Prime

Post by Bumblemus Prime »

Finished it. Well. That was... mostly only worth it for the scene where Chromedome tosses Prowl off a cliff. And even then it's another one of Barber's "ehh, this happens" leaps. Domey injected Prowl & that's how Bombshell could take advantage of his brain? How does one lead to the other? Barber leaves a lot of connections unmade in his work, as if he knows people will explain them away in the forums and that's all that matters.

Megatron's change of heart makes sense, but it's in the service of such a dumb rushed crossover. There was no big moment for him, just "oh, turns out I need to change the game plan to good to win this one."