Transformers: Generation One, Volume One (IDW TPB)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Transformers: Generation One, Volume One (IDW TPB)

Post by Ford DeceptiFocus »

Hi everyone--

I thought I had heard that IDW's reprint of Transformers: Generation One, Volume One in trade paperback was supposed to come out the last week of February--and there doesn't seem to be a comic book store in the Los Angeles area that knows what the heck I'm talking about.

Am I wrong? Amazon lists its release date as February 25, 2006.

Can someone help our a fellow Transformers addict here?

Thanks!:wall:
Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Maybe they've read it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1933239816/

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&pag ... tle=744604

Sounds as if stock is in transit. If Diamond are involved, they seem to be a week behind on a variety of titles.

I'll merge this into the comic solicitations thread in the News forum once you've seen it.

Give a store an ISBN (or go through a regular bookstore) would be my suggestion.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1933239816/

Good idea..maybe I'll just order it on Amazon. It's only $12.99 US there anyway. I just am being greedy and want it NOW. I grew up with these comics and wanted to pretend I was eight years old again. :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
I grew up with these comics
You know that volume's a modern title by the now-defunct Dreamwave Productions, right? When they say "long out of print" about two years is meant.

http://tfarchive.com/comics/dreamwave/r ... ull#review
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

ummmm....I thought that these were the reprints from the 1980's original comics from back in the day! ARGH!!! I just ordered Vol 1 on Amazon and pre-ordered Vol 2.

Hmmm...well I guess if it's the Dreamwave stuff that might be okay as I've never read those as well. Come to think of it, until the new IDW Tranformers Infiltration series came out....I don't think I'd read a comic book since about 1985 or 1986. LOL.

Now I'm hooked on all of the new Transformers comics from IDW: Gen 1, Beast Wars + plus am driving my other half mad with collecting all of the Alternators since they came out. ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, I'm liking IDW's own titles so far. I think the only reason they're reprinting Dreamwave stuff is because of agreements with Hasbro...

There's no ideal place to jump into the 80s/90s stuff, because quality varies over the course of the books, but in general I've found UK stories to be more enjoyable than US ones, up until G2 -- which, in two volumes, includes probably my favourite stories.

Some reviews of the reprinted old comics here:

http://tfarchive.com/comics/trades/
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Thanks bud...but actually, I want to get a COMPLETE collection of all of the old 80's/90's comics to go along with my complete collection of the Gen 1/Beast Wars/Beast Machines dvds. (The rest of the shows that America has seen...Energon, etc. were garbage).

:)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

A few of the really obscure or non-continuity stories haven't been reprinted and probably won't be, but most are in those thirty books.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
Thanks bud...but actually, I want to get a COMPLETE collection of all of the old 80's/90's comics to go along with my complete collection of the Gen 1/Beast Wars/Beast Machines dvds.

Then you'll need more than tpb's as a good few issues are unlikely to ever be collected for various half arsed reasons. Some of them aren't a huge loss (Big Broadcast.. etc), but stuff like Wrath of Grimlock and more crucialy the very first UK TF strip Man of Iron deserve better treatment. For them you'll have to scrounge for original issues on E-Bay, if you find the last two parts of Raiders of the Last Arc I called dibs first.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

I read somewhere that IDW not only has the rights now to reprint Dreamwaves comic series, but also the old Marvel stuff. I'm thinking about buying all of the tradepaperbacks--I think 16 volumes of the Marvel Gen 1 & 2 stuff--but was wondering if anyone can confirm that IDW is infact reprinting Marvel's stuff as well.

Also, it would be hella cool to get the old Marvel stuff in 1 huge or 3 or 4 smaller hardbacks. :)

Actually come to think of it, it would have been cool to have the Dreamwave stuff in hardback also.

Last questions--is there only going to be 3 volumns of the Transformers: Generation One series reprinted? Is this SEPARATE that the War Within series? If not, is IDW going to reprint the War Within???

I bow down to your superior Transformer knowledge! :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Both complete volumes of War Within will probably get a reprint, yeah. I think IDW still have hopes of completing the third volume (only the first three issues were published when Dreamwave went bust) so they may wait until that's viable before doing the reprints. The existing part-finished material is currently still tied up in bankruptcy proceedings.
I think 16 volumes of the Marvel Gen 1 & 2 stuff
That'd just be the US stuff... much of which, to be perfectly honest, ranges from mediocre to crap. It starts off decently (if very 70s in style), hits a bad patch, and then gets slowly dragged back up by having the main UK writer brought onboard by Marvel US.

IDW are republishing selected stories from Marvel... thus far, everything they've picked is already available in a trade paperback. The 'Generations' $1.99 reprints might be useful if you're working out whether you really want to spend much money on the early US material.

I doubt that IDW will do TPBs of the Marvel stories, as the Titan ones were produced in sufficient quantity that they're reasonably cheap if you look around. Titan may or may not do colour versions of the five b&w manga-style volumes they did of the monochrome UK stories, to match their regular UK volumes -- we haven't heard from them on that yet.

Dreamwave were up to issue 10 with their G1 title, so a third volume (the Sunstorm arc) may appear in future. A continuation of the ongoing from that point seems unlikely at this point.

Yep, War Within is a different series, although in the same timeline as Dreamwave's G1 series... lots of info here:

http://tfarchive.com/comics/dreamwave/

:)