NO Michael Bay for TF2...!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
trilobitepictures
Protoform

NO Michael Bay for TF2...!

Post by trilobitepictures »

From his own mouth...

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/v ... php?t=2299

Paramount's decision to go HD-DVD only pushed him away from working with them again. So no Michael Bay on TRANSFORMERS 2.
"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

:( That's a bit silly, unless he owns stock in Blu-Ray . . .

I'm sure some people will be happy to hear that, but I thought he did a great job, and I really enjoyed the movie.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
That's a bit silly, unless he owns stock in Blu-Ray . . .

So, wait. Being angry that a portion of fans who happened to have bought the "wrong" format will just be utterly ignored means he's somehow got a vested interest in Blu-Ray?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If that's why he's doing it. Which would be a welcome stand by a director.

(Having trouble with multiple windows on this internet terminal, haven't read link.)
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Denyer
If that's why he's doing it. Which would be a welcome stand by a director.

Well, don't get me wrong. I don't honestly believe it's entirely altruistic. I just think saying, "Well, he must have stock in Blu-Ray", is a little presumptuous.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Does this mean the sequel won't have a spotlight shining directly at the camera every five minutes or so? That's a shame...
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

this is a silly thing, quitting because of format of medium changes? what a moron.... oh well hasta la vista. maybe a more creative director has been chosen now? I hope...
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Well, there will be a DVD sales anyway. But I do think Paramount's decision is daft here - but they've got a track-record of backing the loser in these platform splits... They had clinged to Beta for years, and then DIVX.

It doesn't make much sense to me for now to 'cut off' potential sales (particularly larger sales, since the Blu Ray base is larger than HD-DVD by about 6 to 1 now), rather than simply just release it for all three disc formats.

(And, yes, Paramount's decision was based on getting $150 from Toshiba and Microsoft to back HD-DVD.)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Wasn't there a link a few weeks ago to him slaging of all the producers? Sounds like he's jumped before he was pushed.

So, wait. Being angry that a portion of fans who happened to have bought the "wrong" format will just be utterly ignored means he's somehow got a vested interest in Blu-Ray?
It's hard to feel sorry for anyone who's already picked either format now- When you makes your choice you pretty much accept the format you've pumped for has a 50/50 chance of being the new Betamax and you being left with useless equipment in the end.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

So, Bay off the second movie - is there any way a new director won't just go "Dinobots vs. Constructicons" in the next flick?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

It's hard to feel sorry for anyone who's already picked either format now- When you makes your choice you pretty much accept the format you've pumped for has a 50/50 chance of being the new Betamax and you being left with useless equipment in the end.

Well, I personally only 'picked' because I got a PS3 when I got my HD-TV, but my library is still dominated by DVDs, and I can't, personally, justify the $10 to $20 'add on' expense per disc for EITHER hi-def format when compared to DVDs.

I think even 'early adopters' are in my boat. We got the hardware, sure, but there's not that much difference between DVD and Hi-Def if you've got a good player and a good screen, not enough to justify the cost.

I actually wonder if either format will really win out, considering.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by TFVanguard

I actually wonder if either format will really win out, considering.

A 50/50 chance was the optimimistic viewpoint that I'd assume anyone who's brought into in already will have taken. Are HD/Blue Ray backwards compatible with DVD? Because is neither format is I can't see a big rush from people to have to rebuy all the titles they've only just replaced on VHS.
Vagabond Elf
Protoform

Post by Vagabond Elf »

Are HD/Blue Ray backwards compatible with DVD? Because is neither format is I can't see a big rush from people to have to rebuy all the titles they've only just replaced on VHS. [/B]

Not intrinsically, but I'm not aware of anyone having released a player that won't play DVD.

The current trend (I manage a Blockbuster, so I see industry magazines) seems to be towards machines that play both HD-DVD and BluRay. (There's no "e". :) )

Blockbuster Canada is still supporting HD-DVD, but I'd say BluRay out-rents it 3:1. Of course, most of that is PS3 owners, which is still the cheapest hi-def player out there.
11 November - Lest We Forget
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Vagabond Elf

The current trend (I manage a Blockbuster, so I see industry magazines) seems to be towards machines that play both HD-DVD and BluRay. (There's no "e". :) )

No E? Well I won't be buying anything that supports bad spelling.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Silly man. Jumping when he's just knocked off a well reviewed and rather well received film...

But, it is Michael Bay...

Perhaps the next film will have less cuts in action sequences? You know, actually get to see the TFs...

As to formats... erm... I'm happy on DVD and sure can't afford replacing my collection!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

p'sonly, I reckon he's probably telling himself he's not a franchise director to a certain extent too... M'eh, man's a respectable action director, but then there are several others out there.
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

So Bay's out of the second film eh? That's a wee bit troubling for me because I'm sure I read somewhere that the scriptwriters for the Transformer Film weren't returning for the second... really, the only thing I'd be worried about with the next film is if it retains a good sense of continutiy, let's just hope it doesn't all go to pot with the sequel because the Producer's are banking on the success of the first.
"At times like these, we've got to spell racecar backwards."
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
A 50/50 chance was the optimimistic viewpoint that I'd assume anyone who's brought into in already will have taken.
BluRay will eventually 'win' because Sony owns the home-distribution rights to the majority of movies out there, period. But, again, I just don't see people rushing to update their movie collections again. The titles people (the masses) are going to be 'special' ones, like the Star Wars trilogy, LOTOR, Ben Hur, etc.

Again, I don't see a big rush for it. It's nowhere near the tech difference that DVD was over VHS, after all.
Are HD/Blue Ray backwards compatible with DVD? Because is neither format is I can't see a big rush from people to have to rebuy all the titles they've only just replaced on VHS.

I haven't heard of a BluRay or HD player that can't do DVDs as well. Backwards compatibility isn't in the FORMAT of each disc, but the players themselves are built for it.

As for the PS3, one thing it DID do right was to include one of the best DVD/BluRay players on the market. If you are going to go to BluRay, the PS3 actually is the best way to go right now.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

just gotta wait for ps3 to go down in price. I wouldn't mind owning a bluray/hd-tv one day. Just can't afford it right now.... Another thing about Sony, don't they have the Transformer G1 seasons now on dvd? If they do, then they're in luck with this movie going in the same format too. Director wise, I wouldn't mind seeing a director who has worked with different types of genres, and is even more well received. But who would it be, I wouldn't know where to begin to guess.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

I actually don't mind too much. I thought a few of the problems I had with the movie, were similar to my qualms with other Bay movies.

Although I'd be happy if he came back as well. As long as they get a decent director on it. Maybe Robert Zemmicks? Wasn't he originally rumored to be directing?