The Greatest Transformer Toy Ever

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
ColdBain
Protoform

The Greatest Transformer Toy Ever

Post by ColdBain »

As a long time enthusiast, first time collector (I've collected for years, but played with my toys too much that I destroyed them, so when I say 'first time collector' I mean, colelcting them for display purposes) I am interested in everyone's opinions as to the GREATEST TRANSFORMER TOY EVER.
I am interested in everyone's personal favourites, just to have an idea of the various Transformers out there, I like to limit my collection to G1, Re-Issues and special releases of Transformers personally, and from that lot I can name a newly acquired personal 'GREATEST TRANSFORMER OF ALL TIME'. For the longest period of time, I was torn between the Sky-Linx toy and Jetfire, I concluded that the best of the best (in terms of toys) was the Jetfire toy. But now, I think for me, the greatest toy would be the MP-01 Optimus Prime. A truly stunning toy, a sight to behold, what are other people's favourite transformers, what is the best toy of the lot? Please, drop a line! Coz I want to know!:)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Toy? Probably something like the Spychangers or Minibots -- things that kids can enjoy without worrying too much about small parts, durability, etc.

Personally I'd choose Grimlock; more complex but transformable quickly, and I like both modes a lot plus the character.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Spy-Eye. Definitley Spy-Eye. For a couple of days, anyway...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

We're fortunate that transformers as a toyline features many gems, a lot of them not that apparent from the get-go. I'll simply list as many as I can from each line. There's just simply no universal best transformer, as opinions differ among fans and technology advances, even in toy industries. With that said, it's funny that some of the best articulated robots were made 8 years ago...

Beast Wars II Galvatron (very nice articulation, triple changer, nice dragon mode)
Beast Wars Optimus Primal (the first one)-Still like him a lot. Fantastic 10 year old toy
Robotmasters LioConvoy-Don't have him, but he's better than his ultra namesake
Superlink\Energon gestalts-all three of them feature fun separate robot modes, and articulated gestalt modes
Cybertron Megatron\Galvatron-One of the most poseable evil leaders in the series
Binaltech Meister, Grimlock and Skids-masters of intuitive transformation schemes, awesome robot modes
Masterpiece Convoy-Fun toy, articulated, detailed but it's about to become obsolete by MP Starscream
RID Optimus Prime-Funnest Prime for me, so far. Extreme articulation, design and a nice super mode. Closest thing you'll find for a mainline alternator-esque robot.

Those are some of my favourites, that combine playability with looks and clever engineering.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Scout

Post by Scout »

As a kid, I thought Perceptor was the ultimate TF toy. Perceptor actually worked (sort of), and went on many trips.

Now though, I'm going to say from my collection and the tf I've played with in freinds' collections, BT Hound is my fav with MW Sandstorm coming in a second. I'm partial to jeep in general, but with the detailing and poseability, the replica is really quite accurate, down to the dashboard, and center brake console. The independant wheel supports are marvelous as well, and the robot form looks good. Sandstorm I like for much the same overall reasons - detailing, looks good in both modes, play is fun.
wing0hero
Protoform

Post by wing0hero »

I have three.

Cybertron Ultra Magnus- same as the RID and Universe molds but I just like the fact I can load about four deluxe size car figures into his trailer.

Cybertron Primus- because its Primus

Cybertron Defense Scattorshot- His basic figure was one of the lamest that was ever created but when he upgraded to Voyager class he got more weapons and projectiles.

Failure is not an option, its a requirement
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Flywheels is an awesome toy.
wing0hero
Protoform

Post by wing0hero »

Cool. What generation was he?

Failure is not an option, it is a requirement
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

... I knew that...

I was just testing. It's not that I can't count or anything...
ColdBain
Protoform

I Have A Few...

Post by ColdBain »

Optimus Primes, for awhile the RiD version was my favourite, simply because of his execellent robot mode, and super robot mode, but found myself enjoying the Cybertron Optimus a little more. Though it's usually a lot more expensive than the RiD version, I really love the level of detail in the toy, it was quite remarkable to look at when it first came out.
My favourite G2 toy would have to be the Autobot 'PYRO', anyone remember him? The RiD Optimus reminds me a little of how Pyro transformed. I loved how Pyro was so blocked off and complete (with no 'loose pieces') in vehicle mode. His robot mode was really cool as well (if a little stiff).

My list of 'toylines' would have to be:

G1: Jetfire
G2: Pyro
Beast Wars: Megatron (I thought that he was pretty spot on, even if his robot mode didn't have the same colours as his CGI equivalent.)
Beast Wars, Transmetal: Optimus Primal
RiD: Optimus Prime
Armada: I was going to say Unicron, but I think I'm split between the Red Alert and Jetfire here
Energon: Galvatron, or Megatron, I really liked that one
Cybertron: Optimus Prime (from my experience), though Primus and Metroplex look amazing.
Alternators: The Subaru Smokescreen. It was the first one I purchased, and I think was the best one released.

It's hard choosing a personal 'best' from each line, because I change my mind so much when I look at them. I agree about the MP - Starscream, I think there was a lot of effort put into him, if I can get an Anime Coloured Edition, then I'd definately get him, otherwise I might let it slide...

Also, a friend of mine suggested something that has become a personal dream of mine, that I thought I'd share... Masterpiece Devastator! All six characters that form Devastator, all in scale size like Starscream and Optimus... my GOD that would be awesome!
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

I'd say Universe Nemesis Prime for his posability, gimmicks, matrix and a better colour scheme than Big Convoy.
wing0hero
Protoform

Post by wing0hero »

How do you guys feel about Universe Optimus Prime ( Yellow Firetruck). My brother in law has if and it looks good displayed. Not my fave but still good.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

He looks much better in the RiD red. The yellow's a bit... yellow. I prefer the smaller robot, it's just a shame it doesn't have a proper alt mode to itself.
dude851884
Protoform

Post by dude851884 »

Originally posted by wing0hero
Cybertron Ultra Magnus- same as the RID and Universe molds but I just like the fact I can load about four deluxe size car figures into his trailer.

There's a Cybertron Ultra Magnus?:wtf: Never heard of him. :confused:

I've got 4.

4.Cybertron Defense Sacttorshot. Poseable, and loaded with junk.

3.Armada Starscream

2.Energon Grimlock and Swoop.

1.Beast Wars Waspinator.
"I suspect there is more here then meets the ear." :)
Peter Sellers in The Pink Panther strikes again.
wing0hero
Protoform

Post by wing0hero »

yeah dude. He's a part of the Costco Exclusive that was released under in the Cybertron line that retailed for 25.99. It was red RID Optimus and RID Ultra Magnus. Though, they shouldn't have been able to call it cybertron considering they had not cyberkey powers.
dude851884
Protoform

Post by dude851884 »

Huh. I was really concentrating on THIS years exclusive. And I wholeheartedly agree. If it does not have a cyberkey port, It does not deserve the title of Cybertron. YA HEAR THAT HASBRO!!?? YA HEAR THAT!!?? :p
wing0hero
Protoform

Post by wing0hero »

whats up with the bold print. I know what "this" means
dude851884
Protoform

Post by dude851884 »

Um, i just wanted to print somthing in bold. :p