IDW - War for Cybertron comic

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blackjack

IDW - War for Cybertron comic

Post by Blackjack »

Seibertron says.
The Story So Far:
Cybertron, the robotic home planet of the Transformers, is in unrest. Violence has started to break out due to a... difference of opinions... between the ruling class and the labor-class. The tension is reaching a fever pitch. As such, the high council has called a meeting to discuss the disputes with two of the labor-class leaders...

Based on selected passages from the novel TRANSFORMERS: EXODUS by Alex Irvine, published by Random House.

Script: Alex Irvine
Pencils & Inks: Don Figueroa
Colours: Andrew Dalhouse
Letters: Robbie Robbins
Editor: Andy Schmidt
Comic Size: 6.625" x 10.187"
Page Count: 16 Pages
Well, at least now we know where Don had buggered off to...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Is the novel out?

And why is the comic only 16 pages?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Novel is slated to be published on the same date the game goes on sale, IIRC.

It's only 16 pages because it's issue 1.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Irvine's a good author. Unfortunately, I don't see Graphic Audio turning this one into an audiobook.

Then again, you never know......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

is this part of the main series or a seperate universe? Is Megatron:origins no longer part of the main series?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's all part of one big IDW discontinuity.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Maybe this book could be interesting: I mean, it's a completely new universe, based on work from external authors (I hope?) and they won't need to retcon everything that is not simple enough.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

MeGrimlock wrote:Maybe this book could be interesting: I mean, it's a completely new universe, based on work from external authors (I hope?) and they won't need to retcon everything that is not simple enough.
Like the Movie stuff, then?
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Oh for the Lords of J'nwan. I take it back.
Maybe there's a good writer who was able to infiltrate them?
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Transformer Exodus: The Official History of the War For Cybertron

For twenty-five years the colossal battle between Megatron and Optimus Prime has captivated Transformers fans around the world. Yet the full story of the conflict between the two most famous Transformers—everything that happened before Optimus and Megatron arrived on planet Earth—has always been a mystery . . . until now. Here, for the first time told in its entirety, is the thrilling saga of Optimus and Megatron before they were enemies, before they even knew each other.

“Freedom is every Cybertronian’s right!” After Megatron utters these immortal words, the caste-bound planet of Cybertron is rocked to its foundations. Megatron, an undefeated gladiator thug, gives voice to the unspoken longings of the oppressed masses—and opens the mind of an insignificant data clerk to possibilities previously unthinkable.
Long before becoming the honorable Optimus Prime, Orion Pax is a mere office underling, an unlikely candidate to answer an outlaw’s call to revolution. But Orion is determined to meet this defiant enemy of all that Cybertron stands for, no matter what he has to do, or how many laws he has to break.

What happens between Orion Pax and Megatron forever changes the destiny of all Transformers. This gripping, action-packed novel reveals all the loyalties and treacheries, trust and betrayals, deadly violence and shining ideals, as well as the pivotal roles played by other characters, including Starscream, Sentinel Prime, Omega Supreme, and one of the thirteen original Primes, the last link to Cybertron’s glorious Golden Age.

Discover how meek disciple Orion Pax becomes the fearless leader Optimus Prime; follow the tantalizing clues about the lost Matrix of Leadership and the lore surrounding it; find out why the two allies fighting a corrupt regime suddenly turn on each other, and what triggers their epic war. Transformers: Exodus provides everything fans ever wanted to know about one of the fiercest rivalries of all time.
It'll be released June 22. Can't wait!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

:eek:

About time that mainstream looked at what happened 'before' - it's something fans have long speculated about and IDW have touched on.

Not entirely sure about the caste argument, unless it's kept simple e.g. the specific war machines being treated less favourably than others, particularly in times of peace (the fabled Golden Age of Cybertron we have heard mentioned?).

Must have the comic for the on-going collection. And the novel, which I hope is written properly. I mean, granted, it will be picked up by new fans who will not have the background of more entrenched ones, but I don't want it to gentle along with pages of unnecessary introductions and information that anyone could go look up on Wiki... nor be as bad as the novels produced for the background to the movies...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Apparantly JB HIFI are selling the first issue of the WFC comic with the PS3/X360 game as a preorder bonus.
I'm going to head in on Wednesday to see if I can get a copy of the comic after the release.
Destruction is my specialty
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Clogs wrote:About time that mainstream looked at what happened 'before' - it's something fans have long speculated about and IDW have touched on.
War Within? Ring any bells? No? Because it was largely rubbish.

I don't see this being particularly worthwhile. It's a comic based on a book that ties into a video game based on a loose notion that was already explored in a comic that was rubbish.*

Making WfC a video game was a stroke of genius in my eyes... making a comic based on said game? Er, pass. Thanks though.

[EDIT] * Make that two comics that were rubbish. I always forget about Megatron Origin.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Clogs wrote:About time that mainstream looked at what happened 'before' - it's something fans have long speculated about and IDW have touched on.
Too bad he's not called Orion Pax in the game. Just Optimus.

Personally, I like'd DW's original name for Optimus Prime better than Orion Pax. But either way, the comic's not even out yet, and it already can't keep the damn continuity straight between the comic and the game. Yeah, this is gonna be good. :\
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Halfshell wrote:War Within? Ring any bells? No? Because it was largely rubbish.
Prior to War Within... 'cos they're already fighting and got history, by then, see?

And I liked it. War Within. The original Cybertronian modes are some of my favourites. So there.

:p
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Clogs wrote:Prior to War Within...
"About time that mainstream looked at what happened 'before' - it's something fans have long speculated about and IDW have touched on."

War Within was a Dreamwave comic. Published before IDW "touched on" what it had already covered. Though touched on is nearly right... molested is probably closer.

Even before then, we had stuff like War Dawn. "About time it happened" carries the massive inference that it's not been done before. Which it has. Several times.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

"State Games" also covers the actual outbreak of the war.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

That's the badger. I wanted to say Fall and Rise, but knew it was wrong.