MIMP/M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikuman

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ackula

MIMP/M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikuman

Post by Ackula »

Here in all its minute glory is all that remains of my once mighty collection. These are Monsters In My Pocket, except for the last 8 loose figures which are M.U.S.C.L.E. and Kinnikuman figures. I've got a few rarities in there as far as these figures go, the gold Invisible Man figure is a variant from Italy actually :eek:

I'm looking to get this collection bigger again. At one time I had hundreds of M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, but had to sell my collection due to financial reasons about 3 years ago. Here is a VERY bad image from a very OLD camera of my original collection at one time.

So if anyone has any of these they will part with shoot me a PM as well, and let the general discussion on these sorts of 80's items begin!
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

I totally love this- the network here at the job is so anal, it won't let me see your images. Here's the message I get:

Access Denied

The web resource http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1566/1001909md5.jpg has been deemed by your administrator to be unsafe or unsuitable for you to access. The resource has been blocked. No further action is required.

Reason: The category of Swimwear / Lingerie / Nudity has been blocked by your System Administrator

I didn't know MUSCLE men were considered Swimwear or Lingerie. :rant::rant:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

i don't see the skeleton one- he is all that matters!

but no- monster in my pochet was awesome... i have none left- oh the regrets of my highschool toy genocide continue to build...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I had the skeleton, he is in the picture, he is blue. I've sold almost all these now. I kept only a few of the MIMP, the ones that were favorites as a child. I was able to actually make over $100 off of these figures, and get a very rare Japanese Kinnikuman figure that usually sells for $40 in a trade with the remaining figures. That being said my M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikuman collection is growing fairly fast now that I have been actively searching for them again, I shall have to post pics as soon as they all get here from the post office.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I thought Monster in My Pocket was pretty cool, but we never bought very many of them. The NES game based on the franchise is one of my favorites, though. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, the latest issue of Toyfare has a short article about M.U.S.C.L.E. figures.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Sir Auros wrote:I thought Monster in My Pocket was pretty cool, but we never bought very many of them. The NES game based on the franchise is one of my favorites, though. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, the latest issue of Toyfare has a short article about M.U.S.C.L.E. figures.
Yeah the NES game was cool for sure. I got the Toyfare, despite the fact that its very short and not all that deep, it was a decent article. The price guide is flawed all to hell though. Especially since it does not mention any of the Super rare figures that fetch thousands or hundreds of dollars.
Ackula

New keshi....

Post by Ackula »

Here are my newest additions to my M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikuman collection. I'm slowly but surely building them back to their former glory. I should mention the rarity of the green snake in the front, it is fairly scarce and expensive, I'm proud to have gotten one as its a Japanese only figure. Same goes for the yellow guy, another Japanese release.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Just got these in yesterday. Four very nice minty condition Japanese Kinnikuman Kenkeshi figures. The cassette man is one of my new favorites! Thanks to Jon @ littlerubberguys.com for hooking me up with these. [/end responding to my own thread]

Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Ackula wrote: [/end responding to my own thread]
Whatever. you will be posting another pic. Specifically, some time next week. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

that cassette guy is awsome! i love 50s style robot designs and the old tin robots like that! there are a couple at an estate sale i am eying and hope to get before the sale closes up-

those are spiffy! i like the dude with the (what i am assuming is) a ghost costume... he's nifty!

*begins search for cassette guy...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

You don't have to look far, you can get one HERE for $3.00 and the site owner is giving free shipping on all Kinkeshi figures like this one for the time being. He is a very trustworthy guy in the Kinnikuman community and I have known him for years.

Word of warning though if you have owned M.U.S.C.L.E. figures before and are expecting the same thing, the Kinkeshi are made of a more pliable and fragile plastic, and are the texture of old school pencil erasers. I like them much better myself, but they are not as rugged and easy to clean as a M.U.S.C.L.E.
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

sounds good- i may snag one or two (or three)... thanks ackula!
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Got these out :

Man, I'd forgotten how cool they were, like the edward münch ghost and the werewolf are ace. There's even a cute little kali and a funky T-rex (0 weakness !!)... take 'em of the box and give 'em a little sqidge... *shivers*... ooh...

anyway, found another one hiding in a box of little stuff :
(those pocket power are awesome.)
and some action force :
:cheers:
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Nice! Have those MIMP ever been opened? And I remember those pocket power things..they had all sorts..I recall one that had a skeleton of sorts in it that popped out, I used to take it everywhere! Cool finds man, if you ever wanted to get rid of those MIMP you could get a good price outta them on eBay.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Updated image of my M.U.S.C.L.E/Kinnikuman/MIMP collection......

These guys here are custom dye jobs, I left them in Rit fabric dye for around 48 hours..works like a charm for custom colored M.U.S.C.L.E.S!

slartibartfast

-awesome

Post by slartibartfast »

Ackula wrote:custom dye jobs,
They turned out really well. I remember having those ones in particular... they're way cooler in black. Have you tried other dyes/colours ?
Have those MIMP ever been opened?
yeah they have, the photos are somewhat over-exposed (artistic flights of fancy) and makes the boxes look like they're in much better nick than they actually are. They survived being packed in a tea-chest by a twelve year-old and driven across western europe, before being crushed in other various boxes throughout the years. It's pretty surprising there's anything left to take any photos of, considering how I treat my stuff. Still, I reckon they're worth hanging on the wall, in the eventuality of me ever having grandchildren to annoy...

:o - "no, you can't play with those, they're grandads' toys, they're not for playing."
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

slartibartfast wrote:They turned out really well. I remember having those ones in particular... they're way cooler in black. Have you tried other dyes/colours ?
Not yet. I bought some bright rose pink dye to try out though. My little girl has taken a fancy to carrying around a handful of my duplicate figures, so I thought I'd dye them a more girly color for her. But I want to try it out on a few I don't care about first to see if they will take the color...black was a certainty, I knew that would work more or less. The next time I get some duplicates that are very common I'll try the pink. I'm going to try an emerald green once I get a hold of another #153 figure (The Claw).
slycherrychunks
Protoform

Post by slycherrychunks »

Kali wrote:Image
Sorry for bump.

Just a point of interest - the orange elephant in the top pic might be worth hanging on to. It supposedly caused great offence to Hindus in the UK as it dipicts Ganesh as a "monster". There was aparently a public outcry and the figure was withdrawn from sale.

I remember this happening. There's a small bit of information on wiki too.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Yeah he is worth a bit to the right people, I actually sold that very figure for $60 a couple of months ago. Good advice though :lol:

Do you collect any of these toy lines? I'm currently up to 220 M.U.S.C.L.E. figures at the moment..I need to make some new pictures.
Ackula

Just an update...

Post by Ackula »

Here is an updated picture of my M.U.S.C.L.E. collection. At this point I have 238 figures, and need only 40 more to have a complete set of flesh colored figures. My son and I had a good time setting this army up in the back yard :lol:

These guys are my Japanese Kinnikuman figures, this is where M.U.S.C.L.E. came from. The only difference really is that the colors are different and the plastic more similar to a pencil eraser than actual plastic. These are all non-M.U.S.C.L.E. sculpts, meaning the never came out in the U.S., except for the flesh and yellow Sunigator figures.