Transformers #42

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Terome

Transformers #42

Post by Terome »

Hey, this was a big step up. Though the Prime / Prowl confrontation was simplistic, it was satisfying. Nice to see Griffith back and Livio is incredibly on-point.

There's the usual set of good interactions between Arcee and the gang. Galvatron is still my favourite and the idea that he lets Soundwave manipulate him and use him as the bully-boy because he digs his ideas is actually pretty credible - Galvatron has helped to build more governments from the sidelines than I've had hot dinners. Functionism used to be his thing, then it was zombie takeover, then it was mad messiah, now he's into Decepticon Brotherhood.

More later.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I had no idea this was out. I must be slipping. I probably won't have chance for a read till the weekend now...

Is it still Combiner Wars or a fresh start?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

inflatable dalek wrote:Is it still Combiner Wars or a fresh start?
CW Epilogue, I believe.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

It follows on. I wouldnt class it as part of Combiner Wars. The focus is part on the fall out between Prime and Prowl but you could leave out combiner wars and just imagine that Prime is pissed at Prowls other transgressions. Galvatron and Arcee are a nice double act and yeah, this is a marked improvement over the CW guff.

Didnt enjoy the two art styles. Not a bad idea and like both artists but it felt like too much of a swing each time. That said, there's nothing bad in terms of the art overall.

I found Prime and Prowls argument escalated far too quickly but the overall tone of it was good and its interesting where this all goes. The rest? Well, I like the overall decepticon commune plot but the stuff with earth still has to win me over. But a step back in the right direction.
Terome

Post by Terome »

The combiners themselves are only in one panel, Dalek. The toys are packed away and now Mummy and Daddy are going to have a serious talk about what happened.

Pity the DOC development is following so closely on the heels of Ten (and that DOC has a much less interesting design than Ten) but I do like the joke of Cosmos finding someone to talk to at last.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Loved the Galvatron/Arcee stuff. Sure, it did mainly feel like it was retreading old ground of the last time they had a chat (though after a gap of months, reiterating that plot point is probably sensible), but it was nicely done and great fun. His casual offer to kill Astrotrain was lovely.

The Prowl side of things... well in isolation it was a great sequence. But it's built of foundations of quicksand thanks to the bizarre and inconsistent build-up of Prowl's character. Plus, seeing Chris McFeely share THIS didn't help as it basically recaps that entire half of the issue at the same time as mocking it perfectly in just one panel.

Agreed Livio was on finer form this month though, he didn't accidentally drawn Bomber Bill in place of Prowl so that's a bonus.

[I like Livio, so I do feel a little bad that not knowing who is in the Protectobots is almost certainly going to be his defining legacy as a Transformers artist.

Then I remember he drew two issues straight with the wrong characters in the Protectobots and feel slightly less bad.]
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

inflatable dalek wrote:Loved the Galvatron/Arcee stuff. Sure, it did mainly feel like it was retreading old ground of the last time they had a chat (though after a gap of months, reiterating that plot point is probably sensible), but it was nicely done and great fun. His casual offer to kill Astrotrain was lovely.

The Prowl side of things... well in isolation it was a great sequence. But it's built of foundations of quicksand thanks to the bizarre and inconsistent build-up of Prowl's character. Plus, seeing Chris McFeely share THIS didn't help as it basically recaps that entire half of the issue at the same time as mocking it perfectly in just one panel.

Agreed Livio was on finer form this month though, he didn't accidentally drawn Bomber Bill in place of Prowl so that's a bonus.

[I like Livio, so I do feel a little bad that not knowing who is in the Protectobots is almost certainly going to be his defining legacy as a Transformers artist.

Then I remember he drew two issues straight with the wrong characters in the Protectobots and feel slightly less bad.]
My god that Picture is ungodly on target. Funny too. But my sentiments are the same here. Honestly getting sick of Prowl as of late.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

It was hard to side with prime to be honest in this one. As said, things escalated way too quickly.

Still not sure if this issue is actually good or if the guff that was combiner wars was so bad near anything is a massive upswing.