Maximum Dinobots teasers (Nick Roche art) / Simon Furman interview at Comic Book Resources

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Maximum Dinobots teasers (Nick Roche art) / Simon Furman interview at Comic Book Resources

Post by Denyer »

Update: Furman interview at Comic Book Resources --

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=19100

Quickie before I head off to work...

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5018

More teasers in this week following and next!
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

It's available on Deviant Art too (and I'm placing here a link, just because I love this image :) ) :

There is so much energy in this art. And I know I'm going to love the story.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

OooOOoooooOOooh!

I think I'm gonna love Maxie Dinos. Was reading the Marvel reprints when I came into this thread. Between the rest of IDW's input (Stormbringer, EJ Su and Nick Roche come to mind) and this, the artwork of TFs have really gone far. Gonna love this series...

Unless it causes more continuity problems, of course. :p:p
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Day 2

Post by MeGrimlock »

The new teaser is panel one of page 2 (just panel one):

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

"Maximum mayhem"? Stan Lee writing this one?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

He could only be an improvement on the recent Furman?McCarthy outtput.

Great art from Roche, lets hope that unlike Sideswipe the pwetty pictures aren't a desperate attempt to polish a turd of a script.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Slag and Sludge:
Image Image
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Great art from Roche, lets hope that unlike Sideswipe the pwetty pictures aren't a desperate attempt to polish a turd of a script.
I think the phrases "Dynobots woz ere" and "we came, we saw, we trampled" may contain an indication re the answer...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aye... the worst bit is these are considered the kind of lines to get everyone amped about the thing. "Me Grimlock Badass" all over again.

What's the difference between Furman and McCarthy that had us all so wound up again?
inflatable dalek

Perhaps it'll turn out the Dynobots first woke up in Roman times to give Tacticus (hopefully I've not muddled him with the Discworld version) that quote so it isn't a horribly anachronistic crap attempt to be funny? No?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, either you've got the Roman one wrong (Tacitus) or you've got the real Tacticus' race wrong (both were Greek). Asterix guest-star Julie C was the man who nailed the actual quote. Still, it was a good joke so I'll let it ride.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:Asterix guest-star Julie C was the man who nailed the actual quote.
Was that the same night he did the "fisting Normon Lamont" gag? Actually,l I'd pay good money if the Dynobots used that quote instead...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Already mentioned this in the Comic Hub, but here goes...
Chris Ryall has posted a 5-page preview on his blog.

Touch it. It's "Dino-mite" according to the blog entry.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I trust Ryall, he's never been one to resort to hyperbole to sell mediocre comics.
inflatable dalek

Couldn't most of that have been covered by the recap page?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:What's the difference between Furman and McCarthy that had us all so wound up again?
With a story like this, a different flavour of nostalgia.

More generally, Furman doesn't tend to put his foot in things when in public, and there's some substance beyond kewl kwotes and fight scenes. He also tends to build on earlier work, however gnarly the connections get, rather than throw it out of the window because he can't be bothered.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Like when he switched to the US book and didn't just junk the Cybertronian stuff he'd spent years on in the UK series despite there being every opportunity to bring it in and not have Cybertron be the size of a football with a population of nine, right?

I'd argue the substance > kewl quotes ratio has declined considerably, as has the substance > kewl concept ratio ("Let's tell the world what I think of female Autobots!" "Why, what does it have to do with the story?" "**** you, I want to tell the world what I think of female Autobots!").

Plus that really is some awful dialogue, and it's quite worrying that frames of the Dinobots (sorry, Dynobots...) smashing shit up and spouting banal crap is being chosen to push this...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:Like when he switched to the US book and didn't just junk the Cybertronian stuff he'd spent years on in the UK series despite there being every opportunity to bring it in and not have Cybertron be the size of a football with a population of nine, right?
It's established by Xaaron that he still has a resistance, ergo Cybertron still has some kind of population. A few months from cancellation and with the requirement to get ActionMasters into the comic isn't really the time to start going "hey, you remember The Smelting Pool and other stray glimpses of Cybertron? there might be some kind of society still existing top-side rather than digging as far into the planet as it can as fast as it can, and I want to show you it..."

Bringing Xaaron across was a start, and had a sudden wrap not been called for we might have seen the resistance brought out of the depths. Or the intention may have been that most were killed by the pointy mechs (that was a rather weak side-plot to have started up, as was spending an issue tying off Galvatron rather than just calling him dead.)

The concept book (Revelation, Expansion, etc) got cancelled -- Maximum Dinobots is unlikely to be much more than a knock-around title, and if does turn out to be more than that I'll be quite happy.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Couldn't most of that have been covered by the recap page?
Do the recap blurbs get carried over to the trades?
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:Do the recap blurbs get carried over to the trades?
Is there any reason they couldn't put one in the trade?