Happy Holidays! Lego Style!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Happy Holidays! Lego Style!

Post by ganon578 »

Just thought I'd post this up here since many of you are Lego fans. My wife and I debated on buying a real Christmas village, then I thought I could buy a Lego one, and when I saw the prices for those pieces, I decided to give it a go with my own bricks. So here's a little log cabin all done up for the holidays! Taking some ideas from the Lego Ideas Book, I designed the roof to come off separately so it's easy to see the inside. Enjoy! And Happy Holidays!!!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

hee hee that's really cute! i love it :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Pretty decent. It's tricky doing off-the-cuff things without tracking down a whole load of other pieces -- particularly for the "modern" style of generally not showing studs. But there's a lot of life left in the more classic pieces and mixing them in.

Were the red paned windows 70s?

edit: Nope, bit before -- http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=7026ac01

Still got some of those inherited from relatives. :)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That's lovely. I like the way you made the Christmas lights on the house, and it always makes me nostalgic to see those single-piece pine trees. Most models you see nowadays shy away from them in favour of brick-built trees, but there's something to be said for the neat simplicity of the old ones. The snow could maybe use a bit more texture, but like Denyer says you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever pieces you've got on-hand when you do something like this on the spur of the moment. I think it turned out really well.

Santa's watch must be fast though, he showed up when it was still daylight. ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:Still got some of those inherited from relatives. :)
School Dacta sets are also gold for that sort of stuff too.

Lovely model :)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Thanks for the comments, everyone!
Denyer wrote:Pretty decent. It's tricky doing off-the-cuff things without tracking down a whole load of other pieces -- particularly for the "modern" style of generally not showing studs. But there's a lot of life left in the more classic pieces and mixing them in.

Were the red paned windows 70s?

edit: Nope, bit before -- http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=7026ac01

Still got some of those inherited from relatives. :)
Yep. Those windows are definitely inherited from sets my older siblings had. I don't usually use them much, but they came in handy on this one making a Bay window.
Warcry wrote:That's lovely. I like the way you made the Christmas lights on the house, and it always makes me nostalgic to see those single-piece pine trees. Most models you see nowadays shy away from them in favour of brick-built trees, but there's something to be said for the neat simplicity of the old ones. The snow could maybe use a bit more texture, but like Denyer says you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever pieces you've got on-hand when you do something like this on the spur of the moment. I think it turned out really well.

Santa's watch must be fast though, he showed up when it was still daylight. ;)
Yeah, I would have liked to do more detail in the snow too; work and kids really derails all thoughts of doing something intricate! I figure this was a good starting point since I've literally never done Lego snow before, and I'd like to make it more complex with more buildings each holiday season from here on out.

I absolutely love single piece trees. I use them on all out-doorsy sets, matter of fact, I don't think I've ever tried building my own tree of bricks.

Santa just tried to get started a little early so he'd have some extra time for Ms. Claus! :swirly:
Cliffjumper wrote:School Dacta sets are also gold for that sort of stuff too.

Lovely model :)
Thanks!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm a bumpkin :)
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Man, that looks awesome! :) Now I want a Lego snow villiage too :(
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Lovely, great job.

Jealous you got that many Lego pieces. :D They are always not enough in my house. Not too long ago I built a simple Bat cave for my son and I nearly used all of mine. Now my wife is asking me to build a display stand for those little figures ............
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheapest place for bulk is http://www.bricklink.com sellers if you haven't found it already.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Paul053 wrote:Lovely, great job.

Jealous you got that many Lego pieces. :D They are always not enough in my house. Not too long ago I built a simple Bat cave for my son and I nearly used all of mine. Now my wife is asking me to build a display stand for those little figures ............
I have a boatload of them, actually. I was really into them as a kid, so everyone bought me sets back then. When I hit grad school, I picked up quite a few castle themed sets, so my collection grew quite a bit back then too.

I'll post a few pics of my Castle/Fantasy setup I had going about 6 months ago, which has since been taken down. For the most part, I can build a ton of stuff, but once I get 4-5 buildings up, I run out of certain colored pieces and have to improvise. For this house in particular, I was getting short on brown blocks. I originally had a larger house in mind, but couldn't pull it off with the limited 'log cabin' pieces I have.

Keep an eye out for my huge setup, it was ~99% all custom stuff I put together!