GTA IV

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

GTA IV

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

That's Grand Theft Auto 4 as in FOUR, not FIVE or "aye vee" you ignorant cretin, the beautiful calibre of our customer never fails to amuse me.

Anywho just got back from our launch of GTA IV, 77 copies in 30 minutes. Queue through our fair town was as jolly as the chavvy element was pissed/high.

Had V-Rock playing from Vice City (nothing like Slayer at 0.17 to rouse the spirits).

Game's pretty good fun but at the end of the day it's just the regular GTA formula with bells, whistles and a whole mess of polish.

BTW :wave: everybody!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Welcome back 'Warp. I'm not intrested much into GTAIV, but I'll play it of course.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Civ

Post by Civ »

He's back! He's back! Everybody do the "Dance of Joy"!

I know nothing of GTA IV but I'll still dance the "Dance of Joy" for it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPg5LjGYz8
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Nice I'll try to track down a copy tomorow. With Halo 3 EB went through like 100 copies then I saw Wal-Mart the next day had like 200 copies of the game so I don't think I will have too much trouble getting it :)
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Hey 'Warp!

I'm getting it. Just as soon as I complete my purchases of a TV stand, a serious TV and an XBox 360. IGN were positively masturbating over it in the review I read - I'd like to read a bit more balance - maybe I'll have some time in work today.

It's weird that, isn't it Rav? You hear horror stories about games and books selling out (thinking specifically about Harry Potter here, as it's the only hyped thing I've gotten on day of launch), but I've always been able to waltz into a shop at a reasonable time and pick up a copy.

Maybe I've been lucky?

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Probably going to have to get it eventually, once I get the car fixed.

Anybody got a spare set of front brake pads and rotors for a 2003 PT Turbo Crusier?

And slightly off topic, what the slag does chav mean?!?!?!?!?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

It really is pretty much more of the same, and the graphics are very similar to past games in that they're not the part of the game that'll blow you away.

The camera feels really strange. It's like you have to constantly fight with it if you're moving it with the right stick. It's starting off kind of slow, it's not that different from past GTAs, and I really liked Los Santos more than Liberty City. It's good, but IGN gave it a 10 either because they bought into the hype or because they had the exclusive first review, or both. The sound mix also annoys the shit out of me now that I think about it. The radio and sound effects are too loud and the voices are waaaaaay too quiet when you're talking on your cellphone in a car, and the radio stations are nowhere near as good as in San Andreas.

Oh man, and the midnight release line for this game and the Halo 3 one were worlds apart. The first half-dozen people in the line last night were drug dealers. No lie. Most of the other people were white or black trash who probably should've been spending the money they were using to buy the game on dental work and personal hygiene equipment. Virtually everyone in line was smoking, even the 15-16 year olds who were waiting in line with their white trash parents. I shot the shit with a guy and his girlfriend who were around my age, but weren't scum of the earth and they both knew a lot about games, so it wasn't all bad.

I didn't even really want to go to the midnight release, but I knew I'd hate to go into town to get it today even more.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Your queue sounds pretty dodgy but not as bad as this one.

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp- ... id=8195947

Poor guy wasnt even after the game by the sounds of it.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Heinrad wrote:And slightly off topic, what the slag does chav mean?!?!?!?!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Ah! That's where you've been, StoneCold Skywarp, eh? Queuing for GTA IV all that time! Welcome, welcome back to the fold.

Incidentally, so many people at work have bought this game (if believed, nearly all within an hour of it being offered publicly and one at least an hour before!) and are now trying to serve the public whilst looking wrecked - and holding conversations about the game play with members of the public!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Welcome back SCSW! How's it going dude?

I'm waiting for TNA Impact and Mass Effect 2, I'm not into the GTA series.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Angelic Knight

Post by Angelic Knight »

I disagree on the graphics -- I found them to be top notch. Totally blow San Andreas and Saints Row clear out of the water.

I'm still playing the first few missions, but so far this game has fully met the hype for me, and I was holding some skepticism at first going in. The graphics are beautiful, the sounds excellent, and the controls the best yet of an GTA. I LOVE the improvements in the physics.

Oddly enough, the evening of the release (wasn't willing to stand in line the midnight before), I was able to walk right in and spontaneously order a second copy with no reservation just because they had an extra on hand.
My very, very random personal forums:
www.jameswebsite.net
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Sir Auros wrote: It's good, but IGN gave it a 10 either because they bought into the hype or because they had the exclusive first review, or both. The sound mix also annoys the shit out of me now that I think about it. The radio and sound effects are too loud and the voices are waaaaaay too quiet when you're talking on your cellphone in a car, and the radio stations are nowhere near as good as in San Andreas.
I agree. Don't know if it deserves a 10. Heck, they've never given a game a perfect score of 10 in their history. And about the sound, you're absolutely right. I noticed that right away. It's friggin' hard to hear what they're saying over the radio. I'm going to check if I can turn up the voices in the options menu. Still though, it's pretty damn fun.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Deathmatch is fun xD
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Ugh, I may go on an in-game rampage if I hear "Top Down," again. I'm pretty sure I've heard it every single time I've played the game so far, and today I heard it three times in one play session.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Ugh. The whole GTA thing bores me to tears, and it's so gratuitously violent that it makes me sick. I watched my friend play it the other day, and my wife actually averted her eyes when he started stabbing and shooting people for no reason. I'm no censor, and I have no problem with adults playing this game, but the fact that anyone under 21 is able to get their hands on this is a horrifying commentary on our culture. Christ, a number of my students are all about this game, and they're only 12. It's just violence for the sake of violence, and there's nothing redeeming about it. It's just a shame that this game is somehow more popular than a game like Mario Galaxy. It's a sad commentary on contemporary society. I'll stick with Mario, thank you.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

^ This.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I'm just so happy that Nintendo does not carry games like GTA on the Wii. At the end of the day, the Nintendo philosophy and business model appeals to many people, because the Wii is killing the PS3 and the XBOX 360.

"The obvious objective of video games is to entertain people by surprising them with new experiences. Violence is one means of doing that, [though] I look to make people laugh or smile." -Shigero Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director of Nintendo Co. and creator of Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Vin Ghostal wrote:I'm just so happy that Nintendo does not carry games like GTA on the Wii...
What about Resident Evil? I'm pretty sure they carry Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, which IMO is pretty violent.
I admit I'm not a really big fan of GTA and I have great disdain for run around committing mass murder in free-roaming games, like Oblivion. I'll also admit that it is sad that children have fairly easy access to it, but Nintendo isn't as innocent as you claim.
It's calling the kettle black, or maybe a dark shade of gray.
Violence is still in Nintendo games, it's just comical and slightly light-hearted. Link swings a sword around to slay his enemies and Mario mercilessly stomps on koopas and kicks their shells at them. You make the characters use physical force to cause harm, even if it is justified.
~
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

I never really got the whole GTA thing, and i have just started to play M games.

Ostentatious, it think Vin Ghostal was talking more about the way players can go on a massive killing spring for no reason. All the M games that Nintendo has are ones where killing is done for survial not for no reason. Besides are most Nintendo games based on the good vs evil thing?
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Ostentatious wrote:What about Resident Evil? I'm pretty sure they carry Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, which IMO is pretty violent.
I admit I'm not a really big fan of GTA and I have great disdain for run around committing mass murder in free-roaming games, like Oblivion. I'll also admit that it is sad that children have fairly easy access to it, but Nintendo isn't as innocent as you claim.
It's calling the kettle black, or maybe a dark shade of gray.
Violence is still in Nintendo games, it's just comical and slightly light-hearted. Link swings a sword around to slay his enemies and Mario mercilessly stomps on koopas and kicks their shells at them. You make the characters use physical force to cause harm, even if it is justified.

Resident Evil is a puzzle solving game where you have to shoot zombies trying to eat you. That's pretty good training for when Zombies rise up IMO.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."