Seibertron rumor mill again! TF comic license goes to... Dark Horse?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Seibertron rumor mill again! TF comic license goes to... Dark Horse?

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=4953

This coming from the people who refrained from posting anything that sounded fishy on April 1...
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

I'm still waiting for a rumour from them that says "Nobody Has the TF License".

Then I can rest assured that we finally have our comic.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, who knows. I think just about every publisher has been named in rummors now, so one of them has got to be right...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
10thDoctor

Post by 10thDoctor »

I think that Marvel should get the comicbook back.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I think not.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by 10thDoctor
I think that Marvel should get the comicbook back.
Marvel from twenty years back no longer exist... it's a very different company.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah if marvel got the liscence now it would be a "marvel next" title with skateboarding teens as the main characters. eventually they would discover the bodies of the transformers and drive them around like gundams but that would take a long time and probably wouldnt happen till the 3rd decompressed storyline while the first one would just be the main character drinking cofee.

it will tie into house of M but they will have to create an alternate house of M: transformers comic instead of just doing it in its own damn book yet at the same time profess that marvel has something resembling a cohesive universe.

after 12 issues it will be cancelled and marvel will call transformers "unsellable" and not think that once it had to do with the comic being bad.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by Denyer
Marvel from twenty years back no longer exist... it's a very different company.

Well guess what?

There's a new rumor on Seibertron.com com that Marvel is vying for the license according to Pat Lee, and if they acquire it, they will want him to pencil it and Simon to write it, continuing where G1 and G2 left off.

Of course, this is Seibertron, and the rumor section of it, but I actually see the Marvel part of it as a strong possibility. Why? Because its taken so damn long for someone to get the TF license, which indicates to me that Hasbro is playing hardball and doesn't want to end up in a "Dreamwave-collapse" scenario again. And who can blame them. Only a few companies are gauranteed not to have a repeat DW performance, Marvel being the most solid one.

As much as I wouldn't mind Simon writing the Marvel continuity again, him working with Pat Lee would leave a bad taste in my mouth. And surely Simon, who is owed so much from the guy, would find it an unpleasant endeavor working with the man who screwed him and many others over.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Marvel = ToyBiz.
Hasbro not ToyBiz.

End of story.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Nevermore pretty much summed it all up right there.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
new rumor on Seibertron.com com that Marvel is vying for the license according to Pat Lee, and if they acquire it, they will want him to pencil it and Simon to write it, continuing where G1 and G2 left off.
Is anyone bothering to keep count of how many conflicting rumours there've been now?

I realise situations change as companies barter, but am I alone in not giving a toss anymore until books appear in stores?

[Insert reiteration of commitment to not put money into the pockets of Pat Lee here.] Which would be an interesting situation to deal with were Simon forced to work with a guy who royally screwed him.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Which would be an interesting situation to deal with were Simon forced to work with a guy who royally screwed him

why havent we killed pat lee yet anyway?

*sorry to get so off topic but i really dont want marvel or Pat touching transformers ever again
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
why havent we killed pat lee yet anyway?

Firing him into the sun is not an option. Obviously he is trying to make a name for himself, while screwing other people over. It would be funny to see Furman back under the helm of Lee. Kinda like Stalin working for Hitler.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sorry, but Marvel don't follow continuity from six issues ago... the idea that they'd set up a licensed series following on from a decade-old series that was read by nobody [the Titan sales were respectable, but the thing's hardly troubling League of Extraordinary Gentlemen], and then employ Jim Bob McNobody to write it, instead of some jumped-up prick who'd just penned a series full of graphic gunshot wounds for Vertigo is frankly ludicrous. Furman was largely unable to leave his 1980s ideas and characters behind in series set in totally different realities, he certainly wouldn't be able to write a new "G2" arc without it being totally incomprehensible for someone who hadn't read the original. That and the fact his "plot recycle" function's stepped up considerably.

Marvel, frankly, aren't that stupid. Can anyone really make any case for why they'd want a Transformers book? Their sales are still respectable, the TPB programme is reaping huge financial awards, they're able to basically run the place from movie proceeds and their general rep [however undeservedly] probably hasn't been this high since the 1960s. So why would they bend over for Hasbro and take on a licensed book like Transformers which displayed a disastrous sales pattern both the last time they had it, and with Dreamwave?
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

... not to mention that Hasbro and Marvel aren't interested inany form of collaboration: Hasbro don't want Marvel's editors working on his product, and Marvel haven't a reason to pick the license.

oh, Marvel's collaboration with toybiz is a story of eons
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Ghirox
... not to mention... Marvel haven't a reason to pick the license.

Not to mention that I mentioned that.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Can anyone really make any case for why they'd want a Transformers book?

You're ****tin us, right?

Transformers is no longer about a comic. It's not even about a toy anymore.

It's about the magnificent monetary potential behind not just one, but likely several, blockbuster films that have the opportunity to be amongst the highest grossing films of our generation, among the likes of Star Wars and Titanic, if done properly. The positive financial ramifications of this success will be felt in all industries, toy, TV, comic, book, etc.

There is no advertisement media more effective than a hit movie. It increases the general awareness of something like nothing else. You have to understand, Transformers is a hit with OUR older generation, the generation of 1980's children. There is an untapped younger generation, greater in number than our own, the generation of Pokeman and Yugi-Oh fanatics, not fully aware or concerned with the Transformers as we were. The wave of the future, if you will, could be much bigger than ours. It's simply a matter of gaining their interest, and this movie will certainly capture them.

And should such interest be achieved amongst this huge untapped financial resource, you could see TF comic sales and book sales rocket.

Granted, its Hasbro that stands to gain the most, but Marvel certainly could profit quite a bit if all were to go well.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Once more...

Marvel owns Toybiz.
Hasbro owns Transformers.
Toybiz is one of Hasbro's competitors.

End. Of. Story.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
You're ****tin us, right?

Transformers is no longer about a comic. It's not even about a toy anymore.
The last movie bombed. Expect the next one to until it proves otherwise.

Marvel may be interested in a post-movie comic, in which case the chance of seeing existing comics concluded just dropped—they'd have no interest on getting their fingers on the property until next year, so stringing out talks wouldn't be an issue for them.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by Denyer
The last movie bombed. Expect the next one to until it proves otherwise.

Marvel may be interested in a post-movie comic, in which case the chance of seeing existing comics concluded just dropped—they'd have no interest on getting their fingers on the property until next year, so stringing out talks wouldn't be an issue for them.

Even though Marvel might be interested solely in a post-movie TF comic, they may not want to give other companies the chance to acquire the license. Marvel, being the juggernaut of the comic industry, might show behavior akin to the large companies like Microsoft that make decisions not to better their products, but to ensure other companies don't get their own.

And, like you say, there is no guarantee this movie will be good. But given the movies heavy reliance on a premise and special effects that have never been seen before, there is more of a chance of success than failure.

Then again, I felt kind of the same way about Godzilla, and that turned out to be the biggest movie fiasco in history, IMO.