Computer troubles (Maybe)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Computer troubles (Maybe)

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

So I was uninstalling some stuff I don't use any more to make room for Knights of the Old Republic, and iTunes tells me there's an available update... so I update, then restart.

As the computer is starting up again, it gives me a white-on-black DOS-ish screen that tells me "A problem with the hard drive has been detected." and told me to consult my owner's manual, which I don't have with me.

Nothing seems to be going wrong yet, but does anyone have any idea what it could mean and if I should worry or not?

EDIT: this is a Gateway PC running WinXP home
Hang on to your ego.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Run scandisk.

See if the drive comes up with bad sectors and so forth.

If it does, thou art screwed.

If it doesn't, then it was just a weird glitch stemming from itunes and XP fighting for dominance.
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

Strafe is 100% correct. Though I will say that I've seen a drive with a few bad clusters that had a lot of life left in it. If it does have bad clusters, seriously ocnsider buying a new harddrive and backing everything up.
--nmathew

G91 says I'm now part of the old guard.
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Thanks for the advice, guys.

WinXP doesn't seem to have something called precisely "Scandisk" anymore, so I ran the "check disk for errors" utility in my hard drive properties.

Anyway, it said it replaced bad clusters in two files, then restarted and the Checkdisk screen told me "the volume is clean" so it looks like I'm in the clear. :)
Hang on to your ego.
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

Hmm, scandisk should be there. After a bit of searching, I've realized it's not where I expected it to be either. I think you ran scandisk in XP form :)

Good luck.
--nmathew

G91 says I'm now part of the old guard.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, the last place I worked at, we had a mix of WinMe and WindowsXP machines. I used to run Scandisk periodically on Me, but when we changed over fully to XP I discovered that its been moved somewhere else and renamed.

There's a helpful info section in XP that explains why they did this and what the new version of Scandisk is called. It also sports a new feature or two along with its name change. To me it looks as though they've hidden it away in the back of the cupboard so no-one can find it. I'm sure they have their reasons

*Hears evil overlord cackle from Mordor*

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Garand

Post by Garand »

Another thing to do is crack open the case, and find out who manufactered the HDD. I don't remember what brand Gateway tends to use, depsite cracking open countless of them at the shop.

Once you know what brand the drive is, you can go to that manufacter's web site and download a diagnostic utility for that drive. Normally, it is a program that makes a 3.5" bootable disk. pop that disk in, boot to it, and run the tests on the disk. If the drive is kaputz, that'll tell you.
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

I might try that, if I can figure out how the thing opens. I tend to be very afraid of breaking things...

Although it seems if nothing has gone wrong since then, I should be fine.

Figures I didn't go for the extended warranty, though...
Hang on to your ego.
Garand

Post by Garand »

Originally posted by Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Figures I didn't go for the extended warranty, though...

If I had $1 for every Gateway (or HP) I've opened..