[BW,BM] G1/G2 counterparts for BW characters?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Wolfang

G1/G2 counterparts for BW characters?

Post by Wolfang »

Alright, it's obvious that Op and Megs are the counterparts of... well, Op and Megs, but I was wondering who else we think has counterparts in G1/G2.

I think Cheetor is the BW equivalent of that punk Hot Rod, and I'm pretty sure Terrorsaur is supposed to be the Starscream counterpart for the series.

I thought Rattrap might be Gears, but then I realised Rattrap was actually funny in between, and during, bouts of complaining...

Anyone else?
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I'm actually more inclined to think that Tarantulas was the counterpart to Starscream. In the sense that they both filled the same character role.

If I could be bothered I'd probably dig out expansion on the "there are only X different characters existing in fiction" theory, and assign them from that.

Tarantulas is what Starscream should have been - the treacherous lieutenant who operates his own agenda, holds a position of power and is utterly untrusted by his superior, but kept around as he often proves useful.

Terrorsaur is closer to what Starscream actually was - "I'm taking over! Damn... didn't work. Ah well, I'll just skulk about in the shadows for a bit."
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Thanks for pointing that out Brend. I think that's better. If we're going by cartoons, do you think Shockwave and Scorpinok perform the same functions in their respective series or not? Just wondering...

And who the hell is Blackarachnia's counterpart? Nightbird? Arcee and Airazor might serve the same narrative functions now I think about it...
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
RED EVIL
Protoform

Post by RED EVIL »

Well Beast Wars was based off of the Transformers comic at the start. For the most part at least.

It shows that Tarantulas is more the counterpart of comic Shockwave. Remember in issue#25 he was going about his job getting the hydrothermocline ready, when he secretely went to get the predacons to attack Megatron.

Terrorsaur goes better with Starscream....... its the whole color scheme, voice, and personality that make him that way{personally i think that Starscream should have teamed up with Terrorsaur instead of Black Arachnia}.

Airrazor fits with Arcee.

Rattrap could be a counterpart for Cliffjumper in the sense that they both were small and had a comedian personalities but were serious in battle.

Cheetor could be a counterpart for Hot Rod in personality and Bluestreak/Prowl for the looks.

Scorponok acts definatly like the G1 version yet his loyalty reminds me of Skywarp/Cyclonus' loyalty towards Megatron.

Rhinox is a Wheeljack/Ironhide mix putting inventions together and having brute force.

Dinobot is somewhere in the original dinobots area most likely comic Grimlock because of his yearning to be the leader yet also caring about honor.

Now i hafta think about tigatron, depth charge, and all the others...........
----------------------------------------------------
DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cheetor = Hot Rod
Rhinox = Ironhide
Terrorsaur = Cartoon Starscream
Tarantulas = Comic Shockwave
Tigatron = Bluestreak
Dinobot = Comic Grimlock
BA = Carnivac with a sex change
Waspinator = Cartoon Wheelie, more or less
Silverbolt = One of a kind
RED EVIL
Protoform

Post by RED EVIL »

Originally posted by Warcry
Silverbolt = One of a kind

But was Silverbolt's character good to be one of a kind.

i disagre with putting Waspinator as a comparison to Wheelie. Waspinator had a bug voice. Wheelie had Michael Jackson immitation voice. Besides Waspinator was alot cooler than Wheelie.
DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by RED EVIL
But was Silverbolt's character good to be one of a kind.
I'm glad he's one-of-a-kind. He just wouldn't be as funny if there were another TF with the same brand of chivalry.
i disagre with putting Waspinator as a comparison to Wheelie. Waspinator had a bug voice. Wheelie had Michael Jackson immitation voice. Besides Waspinator was alot cooler than Wheelie.

Yeah, but Waspy and Wheelie were both attempts at cheap comic relief, with not much else to characterize them.
The difference, obviously, is that Waspy was actually funny.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Wolfang
And who the hell is Blackarachnia's counterpart? Nightbird?

Nah. Nightbird never actually did anything, and had no real character that I could ever discern.

I'm trying to think of Decepticons who were cast out... the only one I can think of was Octane, but he was under radically different circumstances.

I'd agree with your assertion of Scorponok corresponding to Shockwave. They both filled the blind loyalty quotient, and neither of them did anything of real consequence in their respective shows.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Without looking at other peoples´ answers. Warning, a bit tongue in cheek...

Optimus Primal ~ Fortress Maximus (comic)
Rhinox ~ Omega Supreme (comic)
Rattrap ~ Nightbeat?
Dinobot ~ Grimlock (comic)
Cheetor ~ Hot Rod
Airazor ~ Arcee?
Tigatron ~ First Aid
Silverbolt ~ Ultra Magnus?
Depth Charge ~ Smokescreen (G2 personality)
Tigerhawk ~ Metroplex ;)

Megatron ~ Thunderwing (comic)
Tarantulas ~ Shockwave (comic)
Scorponok ~ Shockwave (cartoon), Megatron (cartoon ;) )
Terrorsaur ~ Starscream (cartoon)
Waspinator ~ Skywarp
Black Arachnia ~ Starscream (comic)
Quickstrike ~ almost any original cartoon decepticon ;)
Rampage ~ Bruticus
Dinobot2 ~ Onslaught (darn TMUK fanfics, don´t ask)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

*makes a mental note to amend the Blaster/Perceptor "no" picture to read "I agree with Osku"*
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Brendocon
I'm trying to think of Decepticons who were cast out... the only one I can think of was Octane, but he was under radically different circumstances.
Blitzwing maybe?
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Originally I thought( for the first cfew eposides I saw) the characters in bw were the g1 characters, just with different names.
Megatron- Megatron
Primal- Prime
Cheetor- Hot Rod
Terrorsaur- Starscream because the first bw eposide I saw was the one where he tried to kill megatron.
Rhinox- Wheeljack
Waspinator- One of the insecticons
Rattrap- cliffjumper
Trantulaus- Shockwave
Tigertron- Jazz
Scorponok- Scorponok
Airazor- Arcee
At first i thought this took place right after rebirth or somehting. I think Silverbolt and the cartoon Skyfire have some similarities
RED EVIL
Protoform

Post by RED EVIL »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel

Tigertron- Jazz

Yes! thats who i was trying to think of for the Tiger-bot, thanks man
DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

And everyone left out Inferno.... poor bloody messed-up antbot...
RED EVIL
Protoform

Post by RED EVIL »

Inferno was a loyal to The Royalty, bloody thristy, psychopath.

hmmmmmmm...........loyal too many to name. Psychopath..........

Bruticus would fit i guess with that because he was a blood thirsty Transformer when it came to facing autobots....or decepticons. Once Reporgrammed he was loyal to Megatron. And in Revenge of Bruticus he did show signs of being psychopathic.
But dont get me wrong i like all those trademarks about them both, and Bruticus is my favorite Gestalt.
DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

could be a stunticon they were al psychopaths
and loyal enough to megatron
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
RED EVIL
Protoform

Post by RED EVIL »

Wildrider man, that would fit
DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

Originally posted by RED EVIL
Wildrider man, that would fit

yes wildrider that would work the most psycho off them all
dunno about his loyalty but he would fit
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Invicta
Protoform

Post by Invicta »

I always paired Optimus Primal with Ultra Magnus. Obviously the name leads you to believe otherwise; however, the cartoon version of Ultra Magnus always seemed to be more than capable of leading, but not wanting to. I always felt Primal was very reluctant about leading, and always put the welfare of his comrades above everything else.

Rhinox is definitely the coexistance of at least 2 characters. I always paired him with Ironhide, Wheeljack, and Ratchet. He was tough like Ironhide, a mad scientist like Wheeljack and could fix anything like Ratchet. The episodes where Primal was considered dead, he seemed like Rodimus as well...like he was always looking over his shoulder to see how someone else would do it.

Cheetor and Hot Rod are very good comparisons. Both hot headed, eager for action and always getting into trouble.

Rattrap is a unique one in my opinion, he is part Brawn, part Cliffjumper, part Dinobots because he's used for the comic relief.

Tigatron is one of the more interesting characters, he assimlates to earth culture (like Jazz) and is a pacifist until really provoked, (like First Aid).

others people have stated make sense...so I'll recap:

Optimus Primal = Ultra Magnus
Rattrap = Brawn/Cliffjumper
Cheetor = Hot Rod
Tigatron = Jazz/First Aid
Rhinox = Ironhide/Wheeljack/Ratchet/others

The rest I think you were right on with.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

actually I thought tigertron was more a mix of jazz and hound.