Fan Fiction

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Aardvark

Fan Fiction

Post by Aardvark »

After having serious problems and mishaps with my own Transformers comic, the whole experience has soured my aspirations of continuing it; I can barely bring myself to finish the first issue. So I'm considering writing Fic instead which incidentally is what prompted me to put forward the following questions;

Anyway does anyone here read Fan Fiction and how frequently do you read it? I know there are quite a few people here who write/wrote Fan Fics but do you read other writers stories?

Also do you think Transformers transfers well to text? In terms of official Transformers novels I can't say I've been too impressed. Hardwired was pretty poor and Annihilation was considerably worse.
-Alex???
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

I don't really read too much fan fiction, but what I've read has been pretty good, and Transformers seems to transfer to text pretty well. If there's a fan character, then it helps to have a picture as a reference point while reading. It also helps to not have a Thefallenone-esque thing for female robots.
Warcry

Re: Fan Fiction

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Aardvark
Anyway does anyone here read Fan Fiction and how frequently do you read it? I know there are quite a few people here who write/wrote Fan Fics but do you read other writers stories?
I try to read through anything that gets posted in the creative forum here, but I tend to give up pretty quickly if the story is filled with spelling errors and bad grammar. That's the sticking point with a lot of TF fanfic, really...if the author doesn't put in enough time to make his story readable, most readers won't give it a chance. Reading a fanfic is generally a much bigger commitment timewise than reading a post on a message board, but a lot of writers don't seem to take that into account when writing.

I know first-hand how difficult it can be to go through a story, edit it, rewrite it, etc...especially when you don't have much free time on your hands (this is coming from someone who's been working on the same piece of fanfic for nearly three years and is only now coming close to finishing it...). But in general, the more you put into a fic, the better response you're going to get out of it. :)
Also do you think Transformers transfers well to text?
Read through our very own Cliffjumper's Aftermath series (yes, Cliffy, people still remember...) and you'll be able to answer that one for yourself. :)

[Hint: the answer is 'Yes'.]
Aardvark

Re: Re: Fan Fiction

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by Warcry

Read through our very own Cliffjumper's Aftermath series (yes, Cliffy, people still remember...) and you'll be able to answer that one for yourself. :)

[Hint: the answer is 'Yes'.]

Oh I most certainly have. Personally I read oodles of Fan Fiction whenever time allows for me to do so. However I hate reading E-books and whatnot which somewhat takes away from the stories themselves. I haven't been able to wean myself off paper...

Still I must reiterate any official novels have been rather poor thus far. I’m of the opinion that it’s a perfect medium for Transformers albeit a difficult one to master as it generally involves writing exciting, descriptive and enthralling battle scenes, which I must admit, can be hassle without the aid of visuals. I'll finish the first issue of my aforementioned comic, see if people like it and then decide whether to chuck it. Though that's looking like a very probable possibility; If you don't enjoy it then don't do it.
-Alex???
Duozenith558
Protoform

Post by Duozenith558 »

I'd like to read more fanfiction but I don't but it's very disorienting due to the plethora of continuities out there. Still if it's well written it shouldn't be a problem I guess. I just like my TF stories in one universe.

Anyway, one of my favorite fanfics was called "The Sale of The 24th Century" by Lizard, a crossover of DS9 with the Combaticons and I don't really remember the Autobots. I think Hound was in there. There was a scene where Odo is disgusted at Swindle's transformation. It was nicely written in my opinion.

I also don't read fanfics often because I don't want to spend too much time staring at the computer screen and I don't want to waste paper on a poorly written story.