The Big Movie Error Thread

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

The Big Movie Error Thread

Post by Cliffjumper »

To hopefully tie in with some new bits for the site, we need plot-holes, gaffes and goofs here. A few things - it has to be an error, not something you just thought was wrong (no "Megatron killed Jazz way too easily"/"Why wasn't Bumblebee a Beetle?" crap). We're referring to the film only, so anything which was explained in the myriad tie-in media, interviews etc. but not in the film counts as an error (though we'll try to mention things on the final page). Aside from that, the thread's nature as discussion means we can hammer things around... anything already mentioned in older threads or the like can be brought into this one for ease of (my) reference.

So, to get the ball rolling: -

- Barricade disappears after the highway sequence [on the final page, we'll mention how Bay spared him for the sequel; as it stands right now, it's an error].

- How do none of the neighbours notice the Autobots at the Witwicky house?

- Why does Megatron push the statue Sam's on down into the street instead of just grabbing the Allspark, and how does Prime know where to be so he can catch him?

- Why does Starscream just fly off again after disabling Ironhide and Ratchet?

Debate, correct, add :)

EDIT: [And not a dig at anyone, so far =)]

THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR YOU TO POST YOUR OPINIONS ON THE QUALITY OF THE FILM, POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE. THIS IS SIMPLY A WAY OF GATHERING INFO FOR THE MAIN SITE. ME? I LOVED THE THING. BUT IT STILL HAS ERRORS. THANKS! =)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

One thing that didn't quite sit with me was Prime's assessment of Megatron's motivations.

I mean you've got that whole "they don't deserve to live" / "they deserve to choose" exchange... but prior to that, the only established motivation for Megs was "I VANT ZE CUBE, GIV IT TO MEEEEEE!"

Okay, you can assume there's an implicit in what he plans to do with it afterwards, but it was a bit of a narrative trampoline jump.

... or is that just me?
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

--Frenzy on Airforce One is shot at with both small-arms fire and shotgun shells. He survives quite well. However, Mikaela hacks at him with a battery-powered DeWalt jigsaw gun and cuts him to pieces. Was the blade made of depleted uranium? I didn't know 18v power could create that much friction...

--Not saving Bumblebee from Sector Seven for fear of harming the Humans is valiant. But when it comes to hiding the Allspark, its best done where there are lots of Humans around. Just in case the bad guys come looking. Doubtful they'd tear up the joint while trying to find it or anything.

But eh, they're just Humans...
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

How was Bobby B. able to sell Bumblebee to Sam if he had never seen the car before? Where did the car title and keys come from? Was Sam driving without insurance? =)
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Angus
How was Bobby B. able to sell Bumblebee to Sam if he had never seen the car before? Where did the car title and keys come from? Was Sam driving without insurance? =)

The keys were likely already in there. He was able to sell it without documents because he's a crook.
inflatable dalek

Re: The Big Movie Error Thread

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper

- Barricade disappears after the highway sequence [on the final page, we'll mention how Bay spared him for the sequel; as it stands right now, it's an error].

It probably worth noting in the same bit how Prime vanishes from the film for a while at the same point as that's one of the big things everyone I've seen it with has noticed (even drunken people). I used to like the "He has to drive the long way round" theory, but watching it again it occured to me that based on his earlier bridge climbing skills he really should ahve been able to get back up to the same level as everyone else fairly quickly...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Not saving Bumblebee from Sector Seven for fear of harming the Humans is valiant. But when it comes to hiding the Allspark, its best done where there are lots of Humans around. Just in case the bad guys come looking. Doubtful they'd tear up the joint while trying to find it or anything.
I didn't really get the impression they had a lot of choice... the convoy was jumped by Starscream (and the response wasn't Op's call either - by the time he arrived in Mission City, the battle had already begun). Also by that point the argument is that more lives would have been lost if the Autobots had bugged out. I personally don't find the situations comparable :)

One thing that you have mentioned in the past that's going in, though, is Jazz and Ratchet's non-reaction to the Starscream attack... it's just about passable for the attack itself (I dunno, they weren't paying attention), but that neither even transform after Bumblebee's crippled is too much... it took me a couple of views to see it's Jazz Sam has to get to reverse - I assumed I'd missed the other two splitting off somewhere... Damn American cars always looking the same ;)
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Well, the arguement I've always made about heading into the city is that they COULD have headed off somewhere else. And I agree that Prime wasn't there to make the decision--but I rather figured the Autobots were smart enough to know better. My greater gripe, though, is not rescuing Bumblebee. I'm sure they could have rushed in, cut a couple of chopper lines, then rushed out. Prime had not problem putting a foot down in front of the convoy of S7 SUVs earlier. But perhaps this is one of those "I didn't like it" segments more than it is a plot hole.

But I REALLY didn't like it. ;)

And yes, the other Autobots sitting around or not doing anything when Bumblebee got hit was...weird. Especialy Jazz. At least Ironhide had been in on defending everyone against Stascream--but for the two not paying attention. Ironhide took the time to yell out "It's Starscream!" Which I had figured was because he was such a prominent and dangerous Decepticon--considering he was able to be recognized. You'd think that would get a reaction from all involved.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It does clash with the initial "atack" on Sector 7, I'll agree.

Ironhide isn't smart enough to make the choice, for one ;) I'd say the plan was to find a recognisable landmark for the Allspark to be lifted up - the Decepticons catching them so quickly wasn't part of the plan, just a bad judgement call from an on-the-hoof plan.

Can someone remind me what exactly Jazz does to justify his second-in-command status? He's basically useless in the battle - Ironhide seems to be making the calls in Prime's absence, even before Jazz buys it.

Is it stated anywhere [in the film] that Blackout uses an EMP on the base at the start? If it is, Epps' camera should probably go in...
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

Probably not the kind of errors you want, but Moviemistakes.com has a lits of errors

http://www.moviemistakes.com/
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
One thing that you have mentioned in the past that's going in, though, is Jazz and Ratchet's non-reaction to the Starscream attack...

That is something that REALLY bugged me in the movie. They both just stand there in car mode, to the point that Sam has to push Jazz back in order to get closer to Bumblebee, and Ratchet doesn't do anything even when Sam yells for him.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer for me. While watching the movie tonight, I noticed that when the Decepticons are gathering, it's "Devastator" that is the green tank, while all the toys are "Brawl". What's going on here?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by ganon578
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer for me. While watching the movie tonight, I noticed that when the Decepticons are gathering, it's "Devastator" that is the green tank, while all the toys are "Brawl". What's going on here?

Bay stuck with an early "disinformation" name for the character because he liked it better. And more power to him!

In the context of the thread, incidentally, this isn't an error - i mean, Prime's 2IC isn't called "Autobot Jazz" is he? ;)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Thanks. I was watching last night and got confused. I usually like for things to stick to continuity, but in this case, it works. The only problem I see though (which probably wouldn't happen anyways) is if they put Devastator (not the Brawl version) in one of the upcoming movies. But maybe they could just name him something else that would work.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well the combiner toy in Energon was called Constructicon Maximus. So that's an option.

Okay, it's a rubbish one, but nonetheless...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

They could call him Dev and get the bloke from Corrie to do the voice.

Oh, the icecave W. Morgan Shepard falls into is way to well lit...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Good call on the ice cave. Lots 'o light comin' down through one 3 foot hole.
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

Here's one,I'm not sure if it is one,but it seems a little probalamatic.

Frenzy leaving Air Force one,despite being entirely surrounded by cops,FBI and what not,of all things,he pulls the 'I don't see you,you won't see me.' trick.Kind of Bugs Bunnies his way to Barricade.
Chip1123
Protoform

Post by Chip1123 »

that part bothered me... i was like "come on- thats just plain stupid"
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Sam looks at his ebay page when he gets home from school: it says X days, 18 hours.

Later, Frenz gets off the airplane and checks Sam's ebay page. It's still at X days, 18 hours, even though a day has passed.