Random thoughs on random comics I randomly brought over the past couple of weeks...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Random thoughs on random comics I randomly brought over the past couple of weeks...

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yep, just in case any of you chance over to Swansea, the Comix Shoppe has everything before October 2001 down to 50p, so I've brought a tonna stuff I wouldn't have anyway...

X-Man: The 3 or 4 issues I got were all quite funky, but if they didn't have any different ideas over a hunred & odd issues, I can seehwy this gets a bad wrap...

Excalibur: Hmm, is this [most from 90 up] some totally different Excalibur to the funny, unique book which Alan Davis used to write? Cos what we have here is the X-Men's B squad, with none of the decent writing...

Captain America: This is the first stuff from the past few years I've actually bought [the first series stuff I've read, especially from about '85 on, is decidedly rubbish], and I'm pleasantly surprised: it's actually a great book.

Early US War Machine ishes: This is now a personal favourite, but it's not M.U. is it?

Ghost Rider: I got the first issue of the series when it came out, and was none too impressed. So when I saw the next 3 for 50p I kinda got them anyway [on the reasoning that I'd probaly get them some time anyway, so it might as well be when they're 50p] and I remain unimpressed... lousy art, unimpressive story [Ghost Rider's after vengeance! oooooh!]... don't touch, especially if you're a GR fan...

X-Men 2099: I know, I know, it's my own bloody fault...

Cyclops Ltd Series: the icons one. actually pretty nifty!

X-Treme X-Men: Okay, I'm quite fed up with Rogue now.

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Another day out with the boys - just me, Chaos and Mayhem - I love this job!"
"I'm Godzilla, you're Tokyo!"
"You haven't been where I have at all, so who are you to judge?"
"What am I, an idiot magnet?"
"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
Walk a mile in my shoes, then criticise the way I am.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

*bangs head off wall*

Must... move... somewhere... with... decent... comics... shops...

Yeah, things kinda turned daft when Captain Britain ended up as Brittanic (however ya spell that daft name)...

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm up for picking up issues for anyone in the UK, so PM me...

I am rather in love with Pete Wisdom, but Douglock is badly getting on my nerves, and what with Shadowcat, Nightcrawler AND Colossus now, why they don't just call it X-Men Europe or something I don't know...

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'd carve an effigy of you in soap if you could get ahold of any issues of 'Concrete' for me Cliffjumper.

Swansea's only about 50 miles away from where I live, but I rarely get the chance to go there.

Incidentally, has anyone else here EVER heard of Concrete? I think its one of the best comics ever, a DC publication. What else would I say is good? ummm, maybe 'The American', but that's about it.

Regards,
Windcharger

------------------
S
Protoform

Post by S »

Concrete? The ones I've read have been horrible...

------------------
- S
Reverend Shrapnel

Post by Reverend Shrapnel »

I was surprised to find my town had a comic store so I've been dipping in and out of some Marvels for a while (Yes, I KNOW Wolverine isn't probably considered hard-core amongs you comic heads-go figure). Anyhow, do you know what the Dr. Doom :Emperor Returns series is like?

------------------
I'm gonna DEMOLISH and DESTROY! RAAAAGGGHHHHH!
Dead Pool
Protoform

Post by Dead Pool »

Haven't picked up a Deadpool comic in a while, but it was always an enjoyable read for me. Which is probably apparent. Picked up any of the latest issues?

------------------

"My next door neighbor was blasting Yanni at about three A.M....he eats through a tube now."

"Man, I gotta stop eatin' the whole box of pop tarts. I was okay when there were six in the box, but eight definitely plays tricks on my mind."

Deadpool - The Merc with a Mouth
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wolverine's a great book, at least the ones I've read have been great... personally, I find the character much more interesting in his solo book, in X-Men he tends to be too close to his cartoon "I-don't-follow-leaders-blah" dickhead persona for me...

------------------

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper:
X-Treme X-Men: Okay, I'm quite fed up with Rogue now.
Ah yes, but Sage more than makes up for it.

Okay, she doesn't really do anything, and her main power seems to be know-it-all-ism. You imagine that in real life? Women hold everything you ever say against you anyway... this one can actually remember it all with perfect clarity... you're on a hiding to nothing Image

Ah well, looks like the book's gonna get more interesting now... one of my all time favouritest characters seems to be heading into the storyline... yay

------------------
The Icon, the Showstoppa, the Main Event - the HeartBrend Kid!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I actually did like #7, the "Nuff Said" one, mainly cos of Gambit. The Nuff said thing is interesting in theory, but sticking it in most of Marvel's lines for the month [I think it's even in the double-sized Cap #50] stinks of overkill...

------------------

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I thought the concept was being pushed a bit too far in X-treme.... the one they pulled on New X-Men worked fantastically though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hmm, only up to 121 in New X-Men, they only had 122 in Forbidden Planet and I try not to buy from there on principle [the price labels stuck to the ****ing book covers don't bloody well help]... five ****ing quid for a cardboard box which happens to be the same dimensions as a comic book! Erm, anyway, my friendly, non-bandwagon jumping local Comix Shoppe should have it son, and most wonderfully, they do forward subscriptions, which is very cool!

Windcharger, I'll have a check for Conrete stuff tomorrow!

------------------

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Punisher had a good nuff said tho. Can't be arsed checking what issue it was tho. So did exiles. If you're into X books, or even if like me you aren't, its well worth having a look at exiles. Its kinda like x-men meets quantum leap meets sliders. And its only up to issue 8 so not too much to catch up on Image

I was never really fussed with concrete myself, but then I only ever read a few short stories in DHP so I probably haven't given it a fair chance.

------------------
Image January gathering
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I tell you what I did get which thoroughly enjoyed recently was the first issue of the 1998 Union Jack series. It was wicked, which was very surprising as it was written by Ben Raab, the man who killed Excalibur... Anyone kow where I can get the other 2 issues? I've also got into the Peter David X-Factor stuff... Quicksilver rocks!

------------------

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

There was a Union Jack series? I stopped reading for about 2 years and though I've mostly caught up by now I guess that one slipped through. May have to look for that'un tomorra. The original run of Knights of Pendragon was amongst the best comics I've read. Especially the first story arc, first time a comic gave me nightmares.

------------------
Image January gathering
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Thanks Cliffjumper,

Yeah Anglo, Concrete had a brief spell in 'Dark Horse Presents' but those were just mini one-off stories.

Concrete actually had his own series, and, as far as I know, its been running since 1986. I really love it, it stopped me reading almost all other comics. I think it just got me prematurely bored of big muscly guys with powers because their stories usually follow that pattern of getting more and more extroardinary, then moving into space, then throwing in a time element, then hidden charachters from the past etc. Then they die repeatedly and come back and so on ad nauseum.

I can't really comment on most of them, as I haven't read a great deal of comic books. I know I just couldn't be arsed to pick up an X-men comic because it would mean getting embroiled in some 1000 episode saga.

All I know is that I just love the writing in the Concrete comics. Really nice, low-key stuff. Big lump of concrete trying to make it in a man's world (wipes away empathy tear).

Regards,
Windcharger

------------------
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by angloconvoy:
There was a Union Jack series? I stopped reading for about 2 years and though I've mostly caught up by now I guess that one slipped through. May have to look for that'un tomorra. The original run of Knights of Pendragon was amongst the best comics I've read. Especially the first story arc, first time a comic gave me nightmares.

I've just got the first 3 Knights issues today, before Jack joined. I can easily get you the first ish of the series for 50p from the Swansea comic shop, but I expect ciculation was thru tyhe floor, so issues 2 & 3 could eb a bitch to find... if you find any spares anglo I'd gladly buy em off ya!

------------------