Brief Q&A with John Rogers [movie]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Brief Q&A with John Rogers [movie]

Post by Denyer »

Credit: http://www.allspark.com | http://www.tformers.com

The page has some links to older stories too...

http://filmforce.ign.com/transformers/a ... ?fromint=1

--

IGN FILMFORCE: How did the Transformers gig come about for you?

JOHN ROGERS: I have two other movies in development at DreamWorks. After reading my stuff, Mr. Spielberg asked if I would take a shot at it. There aren't a lot of guys for whom giant robots don't involve a rather large learning curve, so again, my geek lifestyle gets me in ...

IGNFF: What drew you to the world of Transformers? Were you a fan of it beforehand?

ROGERS: I was a big fan as a kid. It was one of those tricks of age that once I grew out of it as a toy, I kind of assumed it no longer existed. It was a bit of a shock to find out they're still such major cultural icons. My new hobby is collecting ads from around the world starring cars transforming into funky robots. It's amazing how many there are. From a writing standpoint, what drew me to it was the chance to write wide-screen fights on a scale not often done in Hollywood, and also cool human characters faced with such bizarre revelations.

IGNFF: Your background is in science. Will you be drawing on any of that for this project or is it all going to be strictly make-believe?

ROGERS: Dude. Energon crystal. Seriously.

IGNFF: Finally, what can we expect from the human characters in this story? Anything you can reveal about what they do or who they are?

ROGERS: It's a big-scale movie. Ordinary humans who discover the robots, scientists who tinker with That What Must Not Be Tinkered With, and cool soldier-types teaming up with our new Autobot friends. The name "Witwicky" will be spoken. Even now, I say too much.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Re: Brief Q&A with John Rogers [movie]

Post by AutobotJazz »

Originally posted by Denyer
Credit: http://www.allspark.com | http://www.tformers.com

ROGERS: It's a big-scale movie. Ordinary humans who discover the robots, scientists who tinker with That What Must Not Be Tinkered With, and cool soldier-types teaming up with our new Autobot friends. The name "Witwicky" will be spoken. Even now, I say too much.

I think Witwicky is a given so nothing new there...I like the idea that the human tinker with the un-tinkerable...maybe the Matrix but who can tell...maybe they find it in space...so many possibilities.

But will any of them be realised...like fun they will!
phoenix
Protoform

Post by phoenix »

Originally posted by Denyer
IGNFF: Your background is in science. Will you be drawing on any of that for this project or is it all going to be strictly make-believe?

[/B]

¿Does he mean to say "The premise is so far fetched that I won't even bother to think how it could plausibly be merged with science" or "Absolutely, I'm going to try and make it into a real sci-fi movie"

Personally, I prefer the latter. Even if the basic premise could not be any less taught up (I mean come on, robotic aliens that transform into cars and jets, I wonder if something like that could pass as a respectable idea in this age) I see no reason why he couldn't try and breathe a little more mind into the script, rather than making it an action/effects movie.

Anyway, I can still hope, can't I?

BTW, I'm new here, though I've been reading the posts for quite a while. Hello, everyone!
Phoenix
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Welcome to the madhouse. :)
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Anyone else getting DW G1 Vol. 1 vibes from this?
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
Anyone else getting DW G1 Vol. 1 vibes from this?

I thought that is what they're using for the script!
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
I thought that is what they're using for the script!

If that higher power up above hates us all, then yes.
stoltobot
Protoform

Post by stoltobot »

Didn't Don Murphy say in a post quoted on this site recently something like it will be similar to the DW story in the human involvement area but that is where the similarity ends?

Personally, I think Rogers may be legit. Even after considering this guy's other involvements (eg. Catwoman) I think Spielberg and Murphy know how to pick a winner on race day.
________
Chrysler iv-2220 history
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by stoltobot
(eg. Catwoman)

Did you actually see that movie? That's hardly something to put on one's resume.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Originally posted by fort_max
Did you actually see that movie? That's hardly something to put on one's resume.

I did....still getting over it. Halle's cleavage is not a good excuse to go and see that film..there just is no excuse...*rants for about an hour*...TF could be a good hero film...with an x-men kinda slant on it.

On another note...i cant really see it being a 'believable' sci-fi film. Its some thing that the audience will have suspend reality for. Which is good coz this type of franchise is geared towards working the imagination, like a good comic should. (not specifically the DW G1 series, more the Marvel UK run or the DW TF/GI Joe cross over.) I mean isnt that why any of us like the TF franchise and its premise? That and the fact that its too cool for school?
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

the concept of a substance that could be liquid or solid at will is not realistic, because a substance became liquid when the temperature increase to an higher level.

Energon crystal doesn't fit in the TF Energon series, because a crysrtal could break easily (crystals have a break line), so is not possible use the solid energon to build weapon.

oh, this is a fan!! we lucky men!!

once i sign my post "phoenix" but now there is a registered user with this name ... I changed my usual nick ....
phoenix
Protoform

Post by phoenix »

Originally posted by AutobotJazz
On another note...i cant really see it being a 'believable' sci-fi film. Its some thing that the audience will have suspend reality for.

¿What is a 'believable' sci-fi-film? Sci-fi has nothing to do with reality, it's just a way of looking at things while assuming some things are different due to scientific progress. Fery few sci-fi stories are based on actual scientific theory, you didn't think "The Time Machine" could actually be built, did you? What I really ask from the writers is consistency and plausability within the universe they're inventing. There's a fine line between fantastic and stupid. For example something like moving Cybertron closer to Earth, or a single transformer travelling from one planet to the other without a ship. Cybertron, the ship and the transformer are fantastic, the things I just mentioned they do are stupid because no one is going to forget the dimensions of the universe just because is a movie.

God, I hope Rogers can tell the difference.
Phoenix
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Originally posted by Ghirox
the concept of a substance that could be liquid or solid at will is not realistic, because a substance became liquid when the temperature increase to an higher level.

I hate to be pedantic but not all solids become liquid at a higher temp...glass becomes its component parts. Also the molecules of glass arent static like that of a normal solid object, they move round like those of a liquid. Thats why glass is some times referred to as a 'super-hard/super cooled liquid'. So a substance that is solid and remains solid while also being malliable (sic) is certainly a possibility...
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

Originally posted by AutobotJazz
I hate to be pedantic but not all solids become liquid at a higher temp...glass becomes its component parts. Also the molecules of glass arent static like that of a normal solid object, they move round like those of a liquid. Thats why glass is some times referred to as a 'super-hard/super cooled liquid'. So a substance that is solid and remains solid while also being malliable (sic) is certainly a possibility...

trasforming from solid to liquid, a substance must absorb energy, in some form. The energy level contained in a liquid status is higher than the level contained into a solid status, and you know that energon contain a lot of energy ... i can't believe that energon preserve his energy content if trasformed into a crystal styatus (energon rods - not a maliable status).... glass is not a crystal, you know ...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Ghirox

That's high-school physics... there are exceptions to this, though it's been a while since I read many scientific papers... wander through the 'science' subcategory at SlashDot sometime, though. It's quite interesting.