• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2018-05-12, 11:23 PM   #1221
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Warcry - Is your Domino figure from the new Deadpool movie? I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it implies her age, but the actress is 26.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-15, 04:48 AM   #1222
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Nah, she's a comic design. The Domino from the movie is just some random girl with her natural skin tone other than some makeup around her eye, and a 'fro straight out of a 70s blaxploitation pic. The figure looks like this:

She looks really sharp alongside the modern Cable that came out two years ago (how has it been that long?) in the Juggernaut wave, but probably won't blend in with the more 90s-themed X-Force figures (including the Cable that Amazon FINALLY actually shipped out). And after doing some Googling, apparently she does look that young in the comics now. I'm just going to go ahead and pretend that they shot her with that anti-aging magic that they break out for Magneto every couple decades when the writers realize just how old someone who'd been in Auschwitz as a twelve year old would be in modern times.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-16, 03:33 AM   #1223
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

I bought some old Star Wars toys.

POTF2 Luke Skywalker with floppy hat
POTF2 C-3PO
POTF2 Commtech R2-D2 with holographic Leia
POTF2 Commtech Han Solo
POTF2 Commtech Leia Organa
POTF2 Chewbacca
POTF2 Blast Shield Luke Skywalker
POTF2 Freeze Frame Darth Vader
POTF2 Freeze Frame Stormtrooper
POTF2 Freeze Frame Obi-Wan Kenobi
POTF2 Luke Skywalker in Ceremonial Outfit
Episode I Tatooine Accessory Set
Episode I Commtech Reader

That's quite a lot for an impulse buy, but that's the great thing about these POTF2 figures, most of them are dirt cheap.

I haven't opened Blast Shield Luke, Leia or Ceremonial Luke yet, but here's what I got so far;

C-3PO is pretty bad. He's got a massive chip in his chrome on his crotch, his entire pelvis splits when you move the legs up while his arms are ridicilously tight.
Darth Vader and Chewbacca are both from the first wave when they had the kind of MOTU thing going on where everybody was crazy beefy, it works with Vader since he was played by a bodybuilder, and it works with Chewie too. Vader's lightsaber was pretty badly faded though, it was almost white under some lighting conditions so I took a red gundam marker to it, it's still translucent and a bit uneven but at least now it's as vivid as Obi-Wan's. Chewie's sculpting prevents him from holding his guns properly, just sort of vaguely pointing them at not quite the same direction he's looking at because he can't actully turn his head.
Floppy hat Luke has a pretty badly discoloured upper torso. I think. They could've just overdone the sand effect too because they did that with the Sandtrooper who looked similarly discoloured when it was in fact paint. He's also why I got the Episode I accessory set, it comes with Qui-Gon's poncho that is very similar to the one Luke wears in ANH and I could create the full deleted scene/moisture farmer look. I even got a landspeeder (which I've never had any figures for until now) from my childhood to pose him with.
R2-D2 has soft legs and was kind of deformed out of the packaging, but what's worse is that I almost immediately lost one of his stickers which after about 20 years are just barely clinging on, I managed to find it and glued it back on.
Stormtrooper is...okay. I really have no strong feelings about him one way or the other. His "mouth" is painted a little lopsided tho.
Han Solo is easily the most solid of the ones I've opened; great sculpt, working holster, got no real complaints except for the weird way his left arm is posed which makes it difficult for him to not look silly in a neutral pose. He also has some odd articulation with a swivel joint in his upper left thigh and left elbow but not on the right. It's probably so he can (sort of) recreate his iconic shooting pose, as well as hoist his leg up over his knee like in the cantina when he's accosted by Greedo.

Oh yeah and I did open the Commtech reader. After watching a few review videos of the thing, I am now convinced that it is using actual voice clips from the movies, but because they are so heavily compressed they all end up sounding like a speech synthesis on an 8-bit home computer.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-16, 08:19 PM   #1224
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Marvel Legends Thanos BAF Taskmaster
Marvel Legends haven't really taken old in the UK. TRU carried them, but always one of the weaker movie tie in lines (basically anything with Thor on the package). Even the Legends Spidey waves haven't done well and ended up remaindered at Value Bastard. BUT! There's a big shiny Avengers film out the moment, and Asda have had a punt on the Thanos wave figures, which at 18.97, are about 5 cheaper than they are online. I've got Songbird, so picked up Taskmaster who's the only other one from the wave I'm slightly interested in. He's pretty nifty, but as with the Vision figure I got, the cape is awkward and slightly taller than the figure, so he stands awkwardly. I like his sword, shield and golden gun (that fits in a holster!!!) Paint apps are clean and tidy, and I like his very clean teeth

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 05:57 PM   #1225
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I prefer the more modern Taskmaster than came in the Red Onslaught wave a couple years ago, but I don't really know the character and I'm going solely based on how cool he looks.

My Marvel Legends 90s Cable finally arrived, and...blah. I really shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for this. Hasbro does a lot of things right with their ML line, but when a character's costume is this layered, thing go awry. Cable's bulky gear was always going to cause some problems with joint mobility, but the overlay pieces that Hasbro use make that even worse than they need to be. The football pads restrict his shoulders a lot and the necklace gets in the way of his head, while the belt hampers the waist. And don't even think of using the ab crunch if you want anything to stay in place! A lot of this would have been avoided if they'd just tooled up new torso parts instead of covering a standard one with rubber bits. I would say that this is just how Hasbro rolls, but they didn't half-ass the Modern Cable figure like this, so I dunno.

It's a shame because he actually looks pretty good. The head sculpt in particular is nice -- it's awesome that they sculpted in his eye-flash instead of just painting it! -- and the guns are very 90s even though some of them are based on Nerf designs. It's all for naught when you can't even pose him without having to spend the next couple minutes readjusting all the floaty costume bits, though.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-19, 06:37 PM   #1226
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Lego Jurassic World 75926 Pteranodon Chase &
Lego Jurassic World 75927 Stygimoloch Breakout.

Starting my run on Jurassic World sets with these.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 12:57 PM   #1227
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I prefer the more modern Taskmaster than came in the Red Onslaught wave a couple years ago, but I don't really know the character and I'm going solely based on how cool he looks.
I know jack about Taskmaster, but always liked the look of him. He's one of those characters that just has such a great look, that I don't need to know much about him. His look just sells what he's all about. Although he's a bit bloody obvious and flamboyant looking for a mercenary. I liked that modern one, but he just looks a touch too Star Wars for me.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote