• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2018-05-01, 08:23 PM   #6041
Paul053
The man who painted heaven

North star where bananna froze

BM Jetstorm!!

Found him at a local comics shop. Used one but still in very good condition. Hip ball joints are a little loose but that can be fixed. Spring loaded projectile weapons (and jet nose), light piping eyes, solid paints and no hollow grids here and there. Sadly why I feel they don't make this kind of toy anymore.

Paul053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 03:02 PM   #6042
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Are you talking about the Deluxe or the Ultra? I've always wanted to track down more versions of the Deluxe mold. I only have Universe Skywarp right now, but the mold was like the Classics Starscream of the early 2000s, and a lot of the decos look really nice.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 04:45 PM   #6043
Paul053
The man who painted heaven

North star where bananna froze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Are you talking about the Deluxe or the Ultra? I've always wanted to track down more versions of the Deluxe mold. I only have Universe Skywarp right now, but the mold was like the Classics Starscream of the early 2000s, and a lot of the decos look really nice.
The deluxe class. Wasn't it more fun than the ultra class one? Here is the link to numbat's review. http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/bm_jetstorm.php

Paul053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 05:50 PM   #6044
Warcry

I've never actually handled the Ultra, but the Deluxe certainly looks a whole lot better. Neither of them really resembles the show character, but I like the Deluxe's chunky aesthetic better anyway. And I love how much personality the jet mode has. Articulating the cockpit like it was a bird's head was a nice touch.

Old 2018-05-04, 05:07 PM   #6045
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

So at the big TF meet last weekend I only bought two actual Transformers.

First up, POTP Beachcomber! Fun little toy, feels very much like a hippy you smoked too much weed.

Then POTP Tailgate! Which is also fun, and I especially like how he captures the beefy ripped Universe profile art for the original.

The new line hasn't really sold me on a lot, but the minibots are knocking it out the park.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-05, 03:17 AM   #6046
Warcry

I finally found some new stock!

POTP Rippersnapper is really solid. His landshark mode in particular is really nicw-looking, and surprisingly poseable considering how static the Dinobots are. Robot mode is basically what you'd expect from a CW-style figure, lots of articulation but maybe just a bit too skinny. It's nice that he's got two guns, unlike the Dinobots, because it really adds to his look in beast mode, having them over his shoulders.

I also saw Hun-grrr, but he's just as disappointing in person as the pics made him seem.

Old 2018-05-05, 09:28 PM   #6047
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Marshalls had blind boxed non-transfroming vinyl figures for $4 each. I got 1 Swoop and 2 Wheeljacks. Their heads and waists turn side to side, but Swoop's beak and Wheeljack's windshield get in the way of the waist movement.
Their shoulders and hips have ball joints. The arms can move up and down, but WJ's shoulder cannons hit his ear things. Swoop has a blue torso. Wheeljack's ears flash blue when you puch a button on the side. Wheeljack is based on the Marlboro deco.

I found Custom Kreon NuRiD Grimlock & Sideswipe at Dollar General for $5 each; haven't opend them yet.

I almost forgot Studio Series Thundercracker, the last TRU exclusive I'll ever buy. It's Nitro Zeus with TC's paintjob and a new head. I saw the rest of SS a couple weeks ago and, with the possible exception of Grimlock, wasn't too impressed.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2018-05-06 at 01:35 AM.
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-07, 02:49 PM   #6048
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Was out and about looking for something fresh for my Star Wars shelf on Star Wars Day, and ended up coming home with something fresh for my Transformers shelf:

Studio Series Starscream! I'm not a big fan of the movie designs (as toys, they're just fine for the live action stuff) and this is the only movie toy I have in my collection these days. Starscream looks great! I wasn't too impressed with the cost, but I can see why the price hike for this line. With Starscream, at least, everything feels really solid and well made, the paint apps are super crisp, and the molded detail is absolutely fantastic. This thing feels like a -kinda- premium figure; it's not a Masterpiece or anything, but nicer than the Classics-type Gen figures. I love the jet mode - the top is great and they did their best to tuck all the robot in underneath for a sleek jet mode. The robot mode is well balanced and has a decent amount of articulation. If you're OK with the price tag, I would say this one's something to think about.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-07, 05:37 PM   #6049
Warcry

The price tag is a stinger, for sure. Starscream in particular looks really good, but every time I pick him up in the store I can't help but think about how I paid about $25 for the ROTF Voyager that's probably twice as big. It's hard to talk myself into paying $40 for something smaller, even if it's a clear upgrade.

Maybe when TRU's got a sale on?

Old 2018-05-08, 01:56 PM   #6050
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
The price tag is a stinger, for sure. Starscream in particular looks really good, but every time I pick him up in the store I can't help but think about how I paid about $25 for the ROTF Voyager that's probably twice as big. It's hard to talk myself into paying $40 for something smaller, even if it's a clear upgrade.

Maybe when TRU's got a sale on?
That's the big hook. I didn't have any movie figs in my collection, so the $ wasn't as bad, but it still wasn't great. The only other figure I had that would have been remotely close was the 2007 Movie Thundercracker - the Studio Series is miles ahead of that one.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-08, 07:47 PM   #6051
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Transformers Movie Advanced AD17 Darkside Soundwave
Sexy black/ red/ silver/ metallic green repaint of the already pretty ace AoE Deluxe Soundwave toy, but with the awesome dialed up. Funny how nice these movie toys look when they have actual paint apps and aren't just done up in boring grey plastic . This is a beautiful looking figure and much nicer and more sturdy looking than the Human Alliance figure I was toying with getting. Which costs around the same price. Sheesh, good job I don't go in for value for money on some of this stuff.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-09, 08:10 PM   #6052
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

TLK Cogman
Yaay Cogman! Finally. The sculpting and detailing is fantastic, as is the brush work and the paint apps. The overall look of the figure is great, doing a good job of representing the small robot we see on screen. I love his beady blue eyes. Like with Soundwave, he's a juggle of panels and actaully feeling like you're transforming something, which is good and the vehicle mode looks good. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong though, because his crotch sticks out far too much from underneath to allow this roll properly. Or allow the sword to clip on underneath. As with all the recent movie cars, they're a bit Flintstones having huge great gaps that allow you to see the floor when looking through the windows. Which is a bit rubbish.

Old 2018-05-12, 02:32 AM   #6053
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Studio Series Bumblebee: Oof. Okay. To start, the main reason I got this figure is because I really prefer the movie Bumblebee’s old Camaro look. But then, I like old cars. And from a design standpoint, I really like this figure. I like the way they did his ankles, I like the pivoting fender sections on his thighs, and while you have to transform him very specifically thanks to his feet, it works. The figure is let down by bad quality control, though. His hips are loose, thinking about transforming him makes his roof fall off, and the design tolerances on the hood are way too tight. I though I was going to break him.

If they make a Studio Series Ironhide, I hope the QC is a lot better.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 05:25 PM   #6054
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

G1 Menasor - Bought him from a guy off Facebook, missing the hand guns and cannons for the smaller Stunticons but otherwise complete.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-15, 08:25 PM   #6055
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

TAV11 Bloody Knockout
Bought for the silly name. This is a black, silver and red redecco of the Beast Hunters version of the character. He looks really good! And sounds like a drink made with tomatoes.

DOTM Human Alliance Bumblebee
Neat black redecco of the earlier HA 'bee figure, which I like LOADS. Except for the silly blue windows, which look a bit out of place. I love that the Sam Witwicky figure looks as gormless as Shia Lebeouf

Human Alliance Jazz w/ Captain Lennox
Good gravy, this is a marvelous toy. I'd heard good things, but this is some seriously good Transformers funtimes. The bike thingy is good and a fun sideshow. Kind of wish you got another figure. Lennox looks pretty decent too!

Old 2018-05-15, 10:01 PM   #6056
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

My DOTM HA 'Bee was a thrift shop find, which came with the missle, but no Shia, which I'm perfectly OK with. It's a subtracted bonus.

TR Optimus - From TJ Maxx for US$13. I'm still hoping for Wave 5 Deluxes. They also had Octane, who I already have. Optimus looks to have fewer stickers and more giant sword.

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Old 2018-05-20, 02:57 PM   #6057
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

TLK Vovager Optimus
Bought purely on the strength of Shartimus Prime's and Firestrider's positive review of the figure. And because, having bought a few figures from the line, I just really wanted one. Robot mode is great, nicely detailed and with some decent paint apps. The bright blue on the eyes is a bit much though. The blue plastics have a nice metallic sheen to them and the boring grey plastic is kept to a minimum. Transformation is fairly good, although it is a load of just-so panel tabbing suckiness and the alt mode does look great. Just a shame the paint budget went against tarting up the wheel hubs in favour of a powder blue shield and great orange sword (why?). Quibbles aside about the paint and slight fiddliness of the transformation, this is probably the best movie Voyager Optimus since the HFTD one.

Old 2018-05-20, 10:43 PM   #6058
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
I almost forgot Studio Series Thundercracker, the last TRU exclusive I'll ever buy. It's Nitro Zeus with TC's paintjob and a new head. I saw the rest of SS a couple weeks ago and, with the possible exception of Grimlock, wasn't too impressed.
I was wrong; I got TLK Infernocus this weekend. I'd skipped him since I already have 4/5 of his molds in Abominus, and the new guy doesn't have a beast mode. But, he was 40% off and has a great head sculpt. I'm pleasantly surprised. I like how Infernocus' head is stored in Skulk's torso, peeking out from behind and between Skulk's ribs.

There's the same QC issues with the limb-bots having pieces fall off, which now includes Blot's fist. Only the outer halves of Cutthroat's wings are orange; the inner halves are black, which looks odd when fully extended. And, given how many beastformers are just the bot on all fours, it seems like they could've come up with something for Skulk.

Also, TLK 1-Step Cogman. The molding on the torso is very good, and it's painted. It's a decent enough representation of him. His only articulation is his elbows.

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry