"Junkion Files" Guide?

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
LKW
Protoform

"Junkion Files" Guide?

Post by LKW »

As a relative newcomer to the Archive - though I was visitng months before I actually registered and started posting - I've been getting caught up on the Junkion Files. Still haven't read every thread, but I have recently made it through the giant slog that is the "[Creationism] Ignored Again" thread; and it occurred to me that maybe some sort of a reader's guide or FAQ to the Junkoin Files might be useful?

I mean, the reasons for some things being in there are fairly obvious - discussions on things like the fandom, IDW getting the comic licence and such; and other threads are clearly in for their humor (or clear once you start reading them, in some cases). But it might be useful for new readers to have descriptions such as: "The Creationism thread is here because it is the longest thread ever (or was, 'til the 2007 movie discussion), and also because the return of the Junkion Files [from where, btw?] was inspired on page 16 of the thread. But, despite some humor on pages - 7, 9, 15 come to mind - it really is almost entirely made up of three people debating creationism and evolution." Or, "The Danish cartoon thread is saved to make almost everyone involved look bad" - if there is another reason for that one, it might be helpful to list it, because that's what I took away from reading it.

Also, while I was able to follow it, I can see how someone could get confused by Cliffjumper being called "Quicksilver" and RID Scourge "Paladin," since their _current_ names appear with their posts in the Junkion threads, so maybe a note about those few members who have different ids in a few of the threads? And the "guest" Cliffjumper from the oldest threads is a different guy than our current Cliffy, yes? And were the Archive Awards only two voting years, one ceremony?

Anyway, as a new member of the TFA, those were a few of the questions the Files raised for me. Oh, and while reading this page to make sure I wasn't duplicating a recent question, I found a thread which I thought should maybe be added to the Files; and, as I read on, it turned out Saysadie had the same thought! Thefallen(one)'s "why am I banned????" - it's both funny and instructive. (Though really, you would hope "Don't use alt ids to try to get around temp bans" would be self-evident...)
Halfshell

Re: "Junkion Files" Guide?

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by LKW
And the "guest" Cliffjumper from the oldest threads is a different guy than our current Cliffy, yes?

Nope. He started as Cliffjumper, then registered a new account as Quicksilver.

The original account was then deleted (not sure why), and the Quicksilver account had its name changed.

It is possible for all the posts currently assigned to the guest account to be reattributed to his current account, though. Or at least I think it is, given that I had the equivalent process applied to my old accounts.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Oh. Okay; I recall thinking that some of the style WAS similar, actually, but I ended up deciding that it was more likely coincidence. Thanks for clearing that up!
Cliffjumper

Re: Re: "Junkion Files" Guide?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Brendocon

The original account was then deleted (not sure why), and the Quicksilver account had its name changed.

I think it was the older board software... It was nigh-impossible to simply modify the user name at the time (I remember something about having to take the whole board offline or something), so I re-registered as Quicksilver, had my posts transferred across, and the old account was then deleted - IIRC, alt IDs were a bit of a problem, and someone else might have wanted to use it.

Though, just to confuse things, I was not the original Cliffjumper ;)
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Okay, I see now. Hmm... maybe we need a Cliffjumper FAQ...
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Re: Re: Re: "Junkion Files" Guide?

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Though, just to confuse things, I was not the original Cliffjumper ;)

This will never die will it ...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
nigh-impossible to simply modify the user name at the time
Mmm. UBB was an clunky flatfile database system -- it'd be do-able, but possibly not through the software; the only time I've ever had to take one apart was when Transfans.com moved.
Originally posted by LKW
it really is almost entirely made up of three people debating creationism and evolution
Not sure why that'd be surprising, except possibly for the fact that several TF forums have now banned political/religious discussion outright, but we're still up for the occasional spiralling argument.
Originally posted by LKW
The Creationism thread is here because it is the longest thread ever (or was, 'til the 2007 movie discussion)
"This thread, one of several on this and similar topics, is here because it reflects the type and verbosity of discussions we used to have several years ago when everybody had more time."

For the most part that bundle does reflect what the forum has been like, though there's undoubtedly some bias because I picked most of it. I did try to go for warts-and-all, not being a fan of whitewashed histories.

Much of the community stuff probably only makes any sense to thirty or forty people, although it's deliberate that the first thread is from barely a year after the UBB started, talking about "the old days".
Originally posted by LKW
were the Archive Awards only
Yup. It was something Snake did, and unfortunately I think his health has deteriorated since then.

In general, aside from the time involved, the population (and fandom in general) has aged* to the point where roleplay outside of designated RPG forums isn't a norm. (*In the sense of going through stages after discovering online communities.)

A replacement member photo page (maybe with birthdays on it) is still on the to-do list, though it's below any of the Transformers content things.
Originally posted by LKW
I found a thread which I thought should maybe be added to the Files
Link?

If anyone has any nominations for good Transformers-related ones, BTW, would be particularly keen to stick some more of those in.
Originally posted by Brend
It is possible for all the posts currently assigned to the guest account
IIRC, not all of the "guest" Cliffjumper posts are Tom -- I think someone registered the account whilst it was vacant, but since whoever did so did so as a joke, they didn't keep it...
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Archive Awards

To clarify matters :

It WAS originally started by Snake (in so far as voting goes) but a ceremony, ala The Junkion Files, wasn't compiled.

The ceremony you see in there was actually compiled by myself and Hound, written by myself & edited by him. I did plan to write the ceremony for the second awards voting, but alas life took a nasty turn & it was never completed.

So there, you can all blame me! I ****ing dare you
Hound

Post by Hound »

Ghostal was involved for a little bit too I seem to remember.

But yeah it's all Warps fault that the second one never got done, I share no blame. Though I'm sure that all the acceptance speeches are still around. Y'know Matt, you could go ahead and write it still...
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Originally posted by Denyer
Not sure why that'd be surprising, except possibly for the fact that several TF forums have now banned political/religious discussion outright, but we're still up for the occasional spiralling argument.

"This thread, one of several on this and similar topics, is here because it reflects the type and verbosity of discussions we used to have several years ago when everybody had more time."

For the most part that bundle does reflect what the forum has been like, though there's undoubtedly some bias because I picked most of it. I did try to go for warts-and-all, not being a fan of whitewashed histories.

I may've formed a faulty impression that the criteria for the Files was either a discussion of a primary/popular Transformers topic or a particularly funny thread. This clarification makes sense, and is kind of admirable, actually... and might be good for inclusion in an introductory page to the Files. You know, so dumbarses like me don't keep coming in and misinterpreting things. ;)

As far as that "why am i banned????" (sic) thread - well, my brother's the computer guy, but I'll give it a shot: http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... adid=34574 (If that didn't work - it's at the bottom of this very Site Feedback page.) And I'll keep my eye open for good TF- related threads. Nevermore had ones on "Absolute Love/Hate"... I know he did the G1 cartoon; not sure if he did do other aspects or not, or if having all or part of a series of related threads like that would work for the Junkion Files.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Ah - I see there are a few new Junkion Files now - including that one that I mentioned! And there's actually a Junkion File now in which I participated! Coolness.